Used 2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

In a Class All Its Own!
By 1 Happy Boy

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car! Period!! Is it the fastest? No. Is it the most attractive? No. Is it inexpensive? No. Is it the most luxurious? No. That's a lot of nos, yes? Ah, but wait! Is the 3 Series the most overall well-balanced, interactive, inutuitive, and fun car to drive? Resoundingly, yes! I've owned a lot of cars over the years; an Acura TL, Audi A4, BMW Z4, Honda Accords, Ford Mustang, Toyota Camry, Lexus SC400, and Mini Cooper, and they all do at least one thing very well, maybe even best in class! But overall, the sum of their parts only equal their total. Remarkably, with the 3 Series, its total exceeds the sum of its parts. But you won't find it on paper. You have to drive it to know it.

Build quality, fit and finish, and the fact that it is simply such an enjoyable car to drive. In the end, I most like the fact that I feel more in control (thus safer) when I'm driving this car. Peace of mind AND fun. What a great combination!

Thinking... ah, better cup holders!

4 years later, still in love with it
By jazzmin

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just had my 2004 325i detailed, and I feel just like the day I drove it off the lot - it is still that much fun to drive. The best surprise I've had with this car is the highway gas mileage. According to the trip computer, I get between 33-34 (sometimes a little more) mpg on the freeway, and that's driving at 70-75 mph. Other than a short in a headlight socket, I haven't had a single problem with this car in the 53K miles I've driven it. Most fun and, again, surprisingly, most reliable car I've ever had, including 3 Hondas and two Toyotas.

You just can't beat the handling. And I like small cars, but so many are unsubstantial-feeling tin cans. Fit and finish are still perfect after 4 years.

Ok, maybe they fixed this in later model years, but the controls for the automatic climate control system are WAY too complex, unintuitive, and even dangerous until you get used to them. And there are times the trunk has been too small for me. Small price to pay.

Best in its class--again.
By matthew

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

325xi with steptronic purchased as certified pre-owned with 18500 miles. Car is like new - agile handling, superb steering, fair to good acceleration (best from 25 mph to 75 mph), and solid feel. Interior leather, carpet, etc., all of high quality with no signs of wear. Seats are firm and comfortable. Cold weather package is a great option but fold-down seats or at least a pass-through should be standard feature on this car as trunk space is limited. Jet black paint is nice but optional metallic paint looks better on this model as 325s lack the chrome trim of the 330s models. Driving experience is great whether on highway or twisty back roads. H-K sound upgrade is good but not outstanding.

Handling, steering, overall solid feel. Overall design still holds up well since originally introduced in 1999 model year. Cold weather package is great convenience option--heated seats, split fold-down rear seats, ski sack. Steptronic auto transmission is excellent though not as involving as stick

The 2.5 six lacks low-end power of the 3.0 but is fine otherwise. Trunk space and interior storage space generally is limited. Leather seats should be standard with premium package and cloth should be available as alternative to vinyl (leatherette). Trunk lid should open from inside when locked.

Luv It
By Pam White

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is the second BMW I have owned. The first was a 1999 323i and it was my most favorite car - but I totaled it on the ice. It saved my life, as I slid into ongoing traffic and was hit in the driver door with a van on the interstate. I walked away without a scratch. I finally found the 2004 325i that I have now. It is now my most favorite car. More power, came with arm rest and doesn't hesitate at starts into traffic

Love the feel and handle on the road. I get much better gas mileage than advertised. (25 in town and 32 on hwy)

Regular Gas please

Information
By Bob

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I moved from a 1986 Acura Legend (first US model) to the 325i Bimmer due to a favorable military overseas purchase price. The BMW is what they say it is but it is not perfect. I find the layout of buttons regulating windows (in the center console) to be awkward compared to almost all other cars with controls mounted on the door armrest area; if you live in a gated community, the frequent use of this item can be a nuisance. The trunk is too small for more than one set of golf clubs! Otherwise, this machine is impeccable in construction and the performance is outstanding, especially at high speeds!

Classic styling; quality throughout; performance with economy.

Larger trunk; simplify interior controls -- they are too complicated (too many options) for the average non- pilot type.