Used 2009 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura RDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Deeply Conflicted
By fischb

2009 Acura RDX SUV Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am deeply conflicted about this car. It drives sporty and tight, but on rough pavement it is too bumpy. There are 3 competing electronic displays, but technology is about 8 years old. Voice recognition is the worst as is the nav. Fuel economy is stellar for this segment, 22 MPG, but linear accelleration is impossible due to the mismanaged turbos. The leather is cheaper than Benz's imitation stuff. Handling on snow is bad due to torquiness, so I had to get snow tires. Exterior styling is suspect, but I like its small size. In the end, I am trading after one year for a BMW X6, if only to save my sanity from the tortuous fan whine when you turn on the heat.

Great gas mileage after the break in period. Peppy turbos, comfortable seats.

Update the nav and voice to the at least the 2005 level. Fix nonlinear accelleration. The fan whine is maddening. Leather is cheap, nice cloth wold be better. Consolidate electronic displays.

Worst car I have ever owned
By Priscilla Morris

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Rough ride, poor interior quality, way too expensive to be this bad . So sad it is such a sorry ride and quality.

storage room for the size is good

THE RIDE, THE INTERIOR QUALITY, FUEL ECONOMY.

Never Again
By Mark from Sacramento

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife got the car and she seems happy with it, but I think the lack of visibility out the back is dangerous. The rear window is very small and then further blocked by the driver's headrest. Visibility out the driver's side is also bad because of the frame between driver and passenger windows. The real problem is the delay in acceleration which is maddening. Delay is usually 1 second but if you really need to pull in front of a car to make an exit you need to know it may the sequence which is engine revs, wait a second, wait a second, and then car accelerates, but not quickly. I can't believe this is supposed to be a premium car. Also high hood blocks forward view a little.

Interior is nice and seats are very comfortable.

Bigger rear window, lower hood, bigger engine. Bigger engine to eliminate amazingly long turbo lag.

Not overly impressed
By Jack Gantos

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my RDX for nearly three years on a lease and I will be turning it in and not getting another. The gas mileage is well below what is listed at 17mpg in town. I live in Boston and drive around town and get about 11/12 miles per gallon, and I'm not a lead foot. The Turbo is not as responsive as it should be--there is some lag, but it is not bad when it kicks in. Just not as perfect as the sales people tell you it is. The interior is basic. Visibility is routine. Body design is nice. But the interior trim is just an upgraded version of a Nisson X-Terra. I question if my "leather" seats are really leather. They remind me of the Mercedes leather- like material I had in my Turbo D.

Good 4 wheel drive. Quick handling. Agile. Feels safe.

More luxury. Better leather. And definitely better gas mileage--gas mileage at present is really pathetic. And I dare the dealership to challenge my stats.

Fun to Drive
By rd

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car! I have an Acura MDX too but this thing is fast. The seats are very comfortable, cabin noise is minimal. I do not understand the poor mileage complaint. I have driven the car for last 7000 miles and I have consistently gotten around 22 mpg. Nice leg space in rear seats. Good sound system. Great value for money and without sacrificing the fun part. Fast acceleration when needed. If you are looking into CR-V or RAV4 with all options, please buy this instead. Worth it! Nice ride too. Truly, not bumpy at all. They must have and 'have' softened the suspension since the original 2007 model. Its as good as any other SUV.

Engine, precise handling, very comfortable and adjustable seats. All the needed options in base come as standard. Huge center console space. SH-AWD works, had no trouble driving on icy/snow covered roads.

Heated back seats. Auto lights. Automatic telescopic wheel adjustment based on drivers (seats and mirrors are memory based).