Used 2009 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Acura Rdx - Consumer Reviews

2009 Acura RDX SUV

View reviews for a specific RDX model:

Never Again
By Mark from Sacramento

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife got the car and she seems happy with it, but I think the lack of visibility out the back is dangerous. The rear window is very small and then further blocked by the driver's headrest. Visibility out the driver's side is also bad because of the frame between driver and passenger windows. The real problem is the delay in acceleration which is maddening. Delay is usually 1 second but if you really need to pull in front of a car to make an exit you need to know it may the sequence which is engine revs, wait a second, wait a second, and then car accelerates, but not quickly. I can't believe this is supposed to be a premium car. Also high hood blocks forward view a little.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice and seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger rear window, lower hood, bigger engine. Bigger engine to eliminate amazingly long turbo lag.

Not overly impressed
By Jack Gantos

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had my RDX for nearly three years on a lease and I will be turning it in and not getting another. The gas mileage is well below what is listed at 17mpg in town. I live in Boston and drive around town and get about 11/12 miles per gallon, and I'm not a lead foot. The Turbo is not as responsive as it should be--there is some lag, but it is not bad when it kicks in. Just not as perfect as the sales people tell you it is. The interior is basic. Visibility is routine. Body design is nice. But the interior trim is just an upgraded version of a Nisson X-Terra. I question if my "leather" seats are really leather. They remind me of the Mercedes leather- like material I had in my Turbo D.

Favorite Features

Good 4 wheel drive. Quick handling. Agile. Feels safe.

Suggested Improvements

More luxury. Better leather. And definitely better gas mileage--gas mileage at present is really pathetic. And I dare the dealership to challenge my stats.

Fun to Drive
By rd

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car! I have an Acura MDX too but this thing is fast. The seats are very comfortable, cabin noise is minimal. I do not understand the poor mileage complaint. I have driven the car for last 7000 miles and I have consistently gotten around 22 mpg. Nice leg space in rear seats. Good sound system. Great value for money and without sacrificing the fun part. Fast acceleration when needed. If you are looking into CR-V or RAV4 with all options, please buy this instead. Worth it! Nice ride too. Truly, not bumpy at all. They must have and 'have' softened the suspension since the original 2007 model. Its as good as any other SUV.

Favorite Features

Engine, precise handling, very comfortable and adjustable seats. All the needed options in base come as standard. Huge center console space. SH-AWD works, had no trouble driving on icy/snow covered roads.

Suggested Improvements

Heated back seats. Auto lights. Automatic telescopic wheel adjustment based on drivers (seats and mirrors are memory based).

A fun, fun, fun sporty little SUV
By accurashopper

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I absolutely adore this SUV! I drove a mid-size sedan for many years and it did take some time to adjust to the RDX. The tilt down mirror on the passenger side is wonderful when backing. The interior is well laid out with all of the controls within easy reach. The center console is deep - it holds my large purse with room to spare. The front seats are comfortable and there's ample knee space in the rear with the front seats all the way back. Ride is firm - you feel some of the bumps and hear a little road noise, but the fun factor outweighs any of this. Fits my small family perfectly. Represented an excellent value for the money compared w/competition. Currently get 19 mpg city.

Favorite Features

Sporty feel, leather seats, AWD, center console, convertible cargo area, moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

Minor things: Auto-dimming mirror should come with compass and outside temp so other passengers can view info. Put a manual trunk release near the fuel door release on the driver's side. Leather shift knob should be standard.

Beware
By Fred

2009 Acura RDX SUV 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is not the luxury car that Acura should be selling. Unlike other Acuras, the vehicle does not have automatic headlights, a basic safety and convenience feature available on similar, and many far less expensive cars. The gas mileage is far less than advertised. It is very difficult to open the rear door. The instrument panel, particularly the radio controls, are poorly designed and difficult to use. While the turbo engine is very good and the ride is decent, the car is not what I have come to expect from Acura -- they should be ashamed.