Used 2003 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Mdx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura MDX

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

110,000 miles and still going strong
By extremus669

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my MDX in 2005 with ~62K miles on it. It was a certified pre-owned vehicle. I've put almost 50K additional miles on it since and the past four years have been trouble-free. Maintenance includes the occasional fluid changes (oil, VTM, transmission fluids, etc.). The timing belt was also replaced at ~107K per the maintenance schedule. Rides and handles great for a vehicle its size (and age).

Suggested Improvements

Wished VTM was tuned a bit differently (specifically to not automatically engaged from a stop) to improve gas mileage.

Thinking of an '03 Acura MDX? Run Away!!!!!!
By mvegastar

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have owned a lot of different makes and models in our time, but we have had the WORST experience with our '03 Acura MDX. We are the 2nd owner of the car, clean carfax report, bought it with 48K miles. Owing it less than 4 yrs, not including regular maint such as oil changes, brakes and tires, we have spent over $15k on repairs! Two transmissions, a motor, a paint job and breaking down on vacations twice to name some if it! This car has been a nightmare and Acura could care less since we bought it used. When reading other reviews, the transmission is clearly a problem, but has there been a recall? Nope. I hope sharing our experience will help others avoid the same pain

Piece of junk falling apart
By gwen

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2003 MDX a few months ago, a mistake. It had only a little over 60000 miles and is very poorly built. The transmission has problems. The headliner was cut too short and is falling out in the back. The rear window washer is about to fall off. And the right door has a part loose inside that makes a lot of noise when you close it. I would not buy another Acura. This company used to turn out good cars. What happened?

Favorite Features

Appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality control and start building a good car again.

Great car!
By gardner3

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

Favorite Features

I love how the car handles and how quiet it is. I had 130,000 miles on the car when I made a bad trade... I wish I had this one back!

Suggested Improvements

I only wish the car had better gas mileage. And I should have put in premium gas the entire time. My fault!

Good SUV design; Possibly a bad year
By Max

2003 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At around 75000, my transmission went out and I've pampered this car since purchase. Luckily still under warranty at the time. Acura says this is highly unusual, though judging from other comments here not exactly so. Have had to replace air vent controls as they keep popping off. I asked Acura as often as this was happening, was this a manufacturer/material's defect or just a poor design (2-piece clip-on). I suspect both. I would expect more from Acura particularly in parts design. All in all a great SUV in general. MPG is about average for SUVs.

Favorite Features

Navi is the best in the business.

Suggested Improvements

Acura has changed air vent controls in current models. Better design and/or materials? Not crazy about the newer 2007-2009 MDX body. Love the older style better, but to each their own.