Used 2003 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura MDX SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Would buy it again if not for transmission issues
By texan100

2003 Acura MDX SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got CPO MDX after lot of research and consumerReports guide which rated MDX as the BEST suv. I did drive for 5 years and was very happy with my car. I never had major issues and never paid any money from my pocket as it was all under warranty. They did find problem with engine mounts, battery and some tubes that needed cleaning which was all taken care by Acura warranty. I did regular maintenance. Dealer did charge me 600 or so for 60k mile service. Last year I did find that car was not going smooth. It was driving rough sometimes and smooth other times. I also read about transmission issues when it hits 100k. Since mine hit 92k I sold it.

Loved the space, comfort and ride. It looked stylish and had lot of trunk space! Third row was OK for kids but I never allowed them to sit there as its in crumple zone and i am not sure if its safe if there is a side swipe.

Acura must fix it's transmission issues and make Navigation, rear back up camera Standard in all models. It is strange that when they market their car as premium brand, many mdx's are sold without navigation or rear entertainment systems.

Great car!
By gardner3

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car overall is great! It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive, has power and looks good. The sound system is nice, heated seats work well, seats fold, and I generally had no problems in long drives.

I love how the car handles and how quiet it is. I had 130,000 miles on the car when I made a bad trade... I wish I had this one back!

I only wish the car had better gas mileage. And I should have put in premium gas the entire time. My fault!

Wish it would last forever!
By Mom Driver

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love my MDX and have had no major problems. My brake pads have been replaced several times, common for heavy SUVs. Vent knob spontaneously broke when I touched it a few months ago--sounds like this happens often with MDXs. Plastic trim on driver's seat has come off--also common. So far drive train and transmission work fine, but at 65K, I wonder how long that will last. Don't like style of new MDX as much! Too flashy! Want to keep this one as long as possible.

Much better ride than the Land Cruiser I had before. Carlike, responsive. GREAT on a long car trip. Kids love it. Navi is solid, but I need the new map DVD which is ~ $100!

Despise the AC controls--no knob to adjust air flow. Must go into touch screen. SUPERannoying. This has been fixed on newer models. Voice-controlled commands=never used gimmick. DVD also not used much now that kids are older.

Transmission Problems
By RL

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the vehicle certified and thank god I did. Three transmissions later and numerous minor fixes. Dont buy any MDX earlier than 2006 or you will be at the dealership often.

Cargo space.

Better build quality

Buyer Beware
By Post Captain

2003 Acura MDX SUV Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car brand new and have always maintained it properly, including the replacement of the timing belt at 105K. Since that time it has been a money guzzling machine. Left rear mirror fell out with motor assembly to the tune of $329. Driver's side seat moulding broken along with loose driver's seat. Now I've been told that the power steering is shot, a motor mount is broke, the seal around the left headlight needs to be replaced, among other things. Total anticipated cost $3-5,000. For all Acura says about quality, I don't know that I will buy another one.

Comfortable to drive with good handling and plenty of pop to the engine.

Apparently overall quality of the car. Very expensive to fix.