Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Past, Present but NOT future owner
By Peter

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Shame on us for not taking a closer look at the car during delivery, after we arrived home we noticed holes in the front bumper. Apparently the car was transferred from a dealer in a state that required front licence plates, in Michigan they are not required. First call was to the dealer - "sorry nothing we can do, but good news we do have a new bumper in stock if you would like to buy a replacement". Well, OK, then. So step two: call VW customer support. They happily assigned a "customer advocate" who called the following day. To quote: "sorry but this is an issue between you and the dealer, there is nothing we will do!" - WOW - what a great case study poor for customer support.

Style and Comfort

Customer Support It's unfortunate that VW/Audi has lost me and likley everyone I speak to regarding this issue as future customers.

Just another SUV I suppose
By Xyrius

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I suppose I had higher expectations since my other vehicles are classy sedans or coupes. Going from a sedan or coupe to one of these SUVs is not something a "driver" would be happy with. It's great for tossing large objects into, but even then, a minivan is better suited to people that want to haul stuff, including people. Otherwise, it's just another "L" on wheels.

Nie engine, I like the VW 2.0T a lot

None, there's not much you can do with an SUV from the looks dept., but overall it's good to beat up on.

LOOK GOOD - drives great!
By barry3k

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I researched a number of crossovers. Ford Edge, Mazda cx-7, audi q5, nissan rouge, toyota venza, ford escape, saturn vue, honda crv. The Tiguan was the one that gave me the best value, the best handling, free scheduled maintenance, and VW reputation. The back seat is comfortable for adults to ride. The cargo space is awesome.

It handles like a dream.

None so far.

Lovin' my Tigger
By docnugget

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle is awesome. The drive is very tight for its class and the appointments are similar to my Passat 4-motion wagon. The 4-motion is a definite plus and the ride is superb. It is definitely not a car for the everyday Joe or Jane and thats the way my wife and I like it. I can't imagine a 200 HP Rogue, Rav4, or CRV. I feel this vehicle sits similarly to a land rover but with a lower, more stable center of gravity. There are no unnecessary and gaudy amenities which would push up the price for many other makes. Plus, its a VW and you can't touch that. I do wish that a diesel version was available but I'll just have to wait, hope, and wish for the 2011 model to be a TDI.

gas mileage is great. I swear, they were way off on the sticker.

diesel, diesel, diesel, Diesel! I want a TDI of this car too. P.S. Get rid of that gas guzzler Toureg from the lineup or do a redesign so it fits better with the VW philosophy and fleet.

6 Weeks and Very Happy
By Rob 110

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiguan after several months of looking at small SUV's. Each time I kept coming back to the Tiguan. I thought I would get a CRV, but the power isn't there and there are far too many on the road. I wanted to like the Acura RDX as an Acura TL owner. While I liked it, the gas mileage (poor) and cost (high) prevented the deal. The Ford Escape Hybrid just didn't have the fit and finish. The Tiguan was the best bet for me: good value, my bike fit inside, still somewhat uncommon on the road, nice looking, and just a great all around package. Six weeks into it and I still love it as much as the day I bought it.

The gas mileage is much better than the sticker shows. I am getting 22 mixed driving and consistently getting 30 on the freeway. The interior is nice and the cargo area is good with the seats down. Exterior styling is strong. Overall VW quality seems good so far.

The standard radio speakers have poor sound quality. The radio screen is nearly impossible to read day or night. iPod interface has limited functionality, but still glad to have it.