Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Lovin' my Tigger
By docnugget

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This vehicle is awesome. The drive is very tight for its class and the appointments are similar to my Passat 4-motion wagon. The 4-motion is a definite plus and the ride is superb. It is definitely not a car for the everyday Joe or Jane and thats the way my wife and I like it. I can't imagine a 200 HP Rogue, Rav4, or CRV. I feel this vehicle sits similarly to a land rover but with a lower, more stable center of gravity. There are no unnecessary and gaudy amenities which would push up the price for many other makes. Plus, its a VW and you can't touch that. I do wish that a diesel version was available but I'll just have to wait, hope, and wish for the 2011 model to be a TDI.

gas mileage is great. I swear, they were way off on the sticker.

diesel, diesel, diesel, Diesel! I want a TDI of this car too. P.S. Get rid of that gas guzzler Toureg from the lineup or do a redesign so it fits better with the VW philosophy and fleet.

6 Weeks and Very Happy
By Rob 110

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Tiguan after several months of looking at small SUV's. Each time I kept coming back to the Tiguan. I thought I would get a CRV, but the power isn't there and there are far too many on the road. I wanted to like the Acura RDX as an Acura TL owner. While I liked it, the gas mileage (poor) and cost (high) prevented the deal. The Ford Escape Hybrid just didn't have the fit and finish. The Tiguan was the best bet for me: good value, my bike fit inside, still somewhat uncommon on the road, nice looking, and just a great all around package. Six weeks into it and I still love it as much as the day I bought it.

The gas mileage is much better than the sticker shows. I am getting 22 mixed driving and consistently getting 30 on the freeway. The interior is nice and the cargo area is good with the seats down. Exterior styling is strong. Overall VW quality seems good so far.

The standard radio speakers have poor sound quality. The radio screen is nearly impossible to read day or night. iPod interface has limited functionality, but still glad to have it.

THE BEST VALUE IS SMALL SUV
By VEGAS TIGUAN

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven 30,000 miles in the deserts of Las Vegas and get 22 -23 MPG aroung town and 26 - 28 on the highway. I have had the services done and am sitting at the dealer having the 30 mile service performed as I write this. Th rear brakes need to be changed at $270 and the front are still 80%. All the tires are still good. 30,000 miles and the front brakes are at 80%, this is awesome. Look up brakes on the Toureg and you will see every 15k to 20k miles at 4 times the cost of the Tiguan. This SUV has been flawless, you cannot go wrong. I test drove the CRV and love the looks, however, the interior seemed cheap and the ride was not as quite. I cannot praise the vehicle enough.

30K miles front brakes at 80% new $270 for the rears. Thats awesome! MPG for a nice riding SUV is respectable.

Turbo Diesel at 40 MPG would be nice.

Zippy little ride
By maverick1112

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All in all very happy with this new purchase, coming from a BMW I have high expectations but I was surprised with how much I liked this CUV. Has enough pep on the highway with the added turbo that I don't realize it's only a 4 cyl. Interior is very classy and comfortable, definitely has a luxury feel!

Heated seats, lumbar support, very easy to lay back seats down, very comfortable for rear passengers

I bought the SE model with the 'urban cloth' seats and MAN do they show EVERY little thing! I can't keep them clean for the life of me.. I suggest getting any color but black, it's a total give away if you have dogs!!

One Week
By KirkyMD

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After almost a year and a half of research, I finally decided to go with the VW Tiguan. Moving from a Ford Explorer AWD V8, this is definitely a change. The Tiguan is lower so its height is somewhere in between a mid-size SUV and a car. The ride is great considering the wheel-base, yet still offers plenty of room for four adults to travel comfortably. The 4 cylinder has obviously less power, but it'll move when it's needed. I was initially worried about cargo space, and while it is certainly smaller than what I'm used to, it allows for most common trips the store without having to put the seats down. All in all, very pleased. I'm hoping this vehicle lasts for a while.

Front exterior design. Moonroof. Multifunctional Display. Interior lighting at night. Comfortable seats. Powerful 4 cylinder.

Rear armrest could use some quality improvement (when compared with everything else in the cabin, it seems cheap). Otherwise, great job Volkwagen!