Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Worst Car
By lvazquez1watcx

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car on June 2011. it had less than 90, 000 miles on it. few months after i bought it, the flap panels broke, headliner started falling apart and the inside began to deteriorate. when it hit 100,000 miles the transmission started acting up, the valve body ended up need replaced. the headlights and anything electrical really is always acting up. i got this car at the VW dealership and thought i was getting a good deal on it, but not even 2 years later and i have already put thousands of dollars into its repairs. I am a nursing student and this is probably the least reliable car you could own. Have filed a complaint with the BBB, but never received a response.

convertible top.

better quality materials, better customer service.

Yet another lemon New Beetle
By onclewillie

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The worst VW I have ever owned.
Hideous number of electrical problems with multiple trips to the dealer for air bags, engine indicator lights, turn signals and so on.
Transmission died a few miles from expiration.
I actually pulled to the side of the road, called the dealer on my cellular phone and reported the problem and gave them the mileage a told them the problem occurred UNDER warranty.
The timing belt broke, roughly a 300 buck fix, but it took out all but 2 valves.
Cost over 3,000 to put back on the road and then more problems with the exhaust and gaskets.
Now the turbo makes a funny, and not ha-ha, noise and I am looking at my fourth set of tires.

Will never own another VW.

When it runs, and that is far too little of the time, it is just a blast to drive. Handles well and the turbo takes me up through the mountain passes as fast as any car on the road.

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Hire someone from Toyota to handle the quality control. There is no excuse for such shoddy engineering and assembly.

Dream Car, Turned Nightmare!
By chiquitadog1

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This was my mom's dream car, but it has been nothing but a nightmare! The electrical is always goofy, fast blinker, check engine light always on & 6 months after buying, driver's side window won't go down and come back up to the hood seal automatically - a problem I've heard about from every convertible owner. Another problem I've heard from every Beetle owner, the water pump either breaks or leaks. The transmission is this cars biggest downfall. After owning it for 1.5 years the transmission would get very touchy, stuck in gear, hard shifting, funny sounds, esp in stop & go traffic or when trying to go after coming to a stop. Finally went completely out while after stopping at a red light.

This is such a cool car and so much fun to drive, especially the convertible model. But if your dream is to own a Beetle convertible, make sure that dream includes constant and expensive maintenance and repairs that will far out weigh the value of the car.

Better transmission, water pump and electrical wiring.

Worst Mistake Of My Life
By design_o_mite

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Within three days of buying a 2004 Beetle convertible from a used dealer for $8,600 (incl CA sales tax and dealer fees), it became obvious the tranny had issues. (88K miles on the car.) Less than 2 months later, I've replaced the transmission, and axle, the triptronic...to the tune of $6500. I'm not into this car 15K and every week, something new (engine valve) keeps popping up. The dealer had to have known--the car didn't "know" what gear it was in the first time I took it on the highway. It only made it the 5 miles home after purchase uneventful. I've now maxed out my credit cards and even w/ the new tranny, the car is STILL shifting choppily!

It's cute. What a facade.

RECALLS! No car under 100K miles should need a new tranny and this much work. This car has so many known issues (tranny, valve body, headlights, convertible top, windows, computer, interior features falling apart...)that VW should be ashamed of themselves. People who like Beetles are creative types- people who want to be different, and now we are being punished for attempting individuality. It's sad. This car has effectively cleaned out my bank account, maxed out my cards, sent my stress level through the roof...and there is no end in sight, as just yesterday, the engine valve code came up after the car jerked. I hope this car makes a good house, cuz I'm gonna need to live it!

Worst VW I've Owned (out of 3)
By dsmark

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Without a doubt this is the worst VW I have owned.
Had a 71 Bug in high school and I would rather have that car back then this 2004.
We bought this car in 2006 for my wife, she loved the red/black coloring, and the convertible top.
Since buying the car we have replaced the water pump 3 times, drivers side headlight keeps going out, convertable top was vandalized (not VW's fault) the power windows dont auto close correctly. Its just one problem after another...I will never buy another VW

During the summer when the car runs well, she loved driving with the top down

Overall just poor quality...