Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 380 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Poor fuel milage
By Bobbie Holland

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our VW and are very disappointed in the gas milage. The sales sticker on the vehicle stated that it would get 47 mpg highway and 41 city. We only get 34 mpg highway. We have had it to checked three times and they can't seem to find the problem. It seems there are other people that have similiar problems with this make of VW.

It is very comfortable to drive. I would give it 10 stars overall if it wasn't for the milage.

Improve the gas mileage.

Great Car!
By stevo

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL is a fun car that is good on gas. It has an excellent interior design and provides lots of features for the price. It has tons of saftey features for the family at no extra cost.

Awesome Jetta Wagon
By Eshwar.S

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wagon for year now, I bought it in September of 2004. It has not had any problems, runs great, looks great, and feels like I just bought yesterday.

I love the interior design, safety, and overall great feel of this car.

None.

This car saved my life!
By Faina S

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was in a snow / ice storm and as I was heading towards an underpass I lost control and went into both sides of the underpass damaging the car but had no serious injuries, the car stayed in pretty good shape so I am happy to have a repeat purchase from this company.

The heated seats and blue lights on the dashboard.

Good Car but the Seats Stink
By Estabhan

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T handles and the overall compact design. Its gas mileage is good, though not as good as others have said (27 to 30 mpg). The big problem is the seats - they are too narrow. I am 5 foot 9, 175 pounds so I consider myself average. After 1.5 hours in this car, my thighs have had it. I bought a seat pad from Brookstone that elevates me slightly (watch that headroom!) and relieves the pressure. My wife and all of the passengers I have had in it have noticed the same problem. Volkswagen offered no assistance saying it was "the design." I notice the new Jetta advertises more hip room. Go for the new one, leave this one to the sub 150 pounders.

The turbo performance and tight handling.

Improve the seats. Also, the radio reception died after a year, I have yet to see if VW will address that.