Used 2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 215 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Reliable as always
By Yaser Ahmed

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a bit hesitant since it's my first hybrid, but it is as reliable as the conventional and trusted Toyotas are.

engine no Methusula
By RossS

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Even though I've changed the oil/filter religiously, at 225,000 miles now, I'm burning a ton of oil, and have to top off every 2000 miles. I'm told the only fix is a new engine (apparently ring and valve jobs are a thing of the past). I have a better fix - a trade-in. Even so, I'd still buy this car again. I guess maybe I'd use synthetic from day one, although I haven't done the math - that might actually be more expensive in the long run.

Love my 10 year old Prius
By H Ross

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a car that was good on gas and I sure found it! I bought the Prius four months ago and although my husband was dubious that I would drive it, we take it everywhere. Even at 10 years old, it runs smooth and is very dependable. I read quite a few reports before buying the 2007 model and also talked with dealers and everything pointed to a good used vehicle.

$5,500 transmission needed in only 101K miles!!!
By John

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius only made it 101K miles...carefully driven and faithfully maintained and suddenly the 'red triangle of death" light came on. The "transmission" , which is comprised of a single planetary differential gear set and two electric motors, suddenly needs replacing. Toyota does not provide parts for rebuilding...they only sell a complete transmission (gears and motor) for $3,500 and it costs $2,000 to install it. There is a TSB on this so it's a known issue (codes POAA66, 526, and 613). The specific failure is caused by winding deterioration in the traction motor (MG2). So instead of selling the parts needed to rebuild (MG2) and providing instruction to rebuild...nope...you get a whole transmission. Oh...and good luck with the Toyota Corporation itself to help share the cost of a defective part...they took the information and never called back. Keep in mind the batteries are original on this vehicle (another $3K) they could go as well...so in essence...you are ROLLING A DICE when you purchase a Prius. Many get lucky based on what I read in the reviews but in my case and plenty of others (do your homework)...this was a 100K mile vehicle...and no more.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Susan Schneider

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Doesn't do snow particularly well, especially deep snow, because it is too low for clearance in mt. country. Too bad it doesn't come in 4-wheel drive for mt. climates.

Update: May 2017. Lost another key last month, and that makes 2 lost, combined with the 2 we got when we bought the car new, means we used up all the 4 key charges the locking system allows, and to keep another spare key to re-key the entire system would have been $1200-1500. We sold the car to the dealer for $1750 and replaced it.