Used 2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Good until its NOT
By Redding Bummer

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our Prius new in 2007. It worked fine for the first few years but then at around 85k miles the gas mileage suddenly declined. Dealer blamed it on the tires so I went to Les Schwabb and bought a new set of tires designed for hybrids. Mind you, our tires were in good condition but we needed to rule out the tires being the issue so we bought new ones. Sadly, MPG didn't improve. We went from 50 mg to 35 mpg so this was a big deal. Dealer assured us nothing else was wrong though we suspected and suggested that the hybrid battery was failing. They refused to test it in any way and blamed the problem on the tires again. I bought another set from the dealer and MPG went down further. Throughout this ordeal the car and battery were under full warranty but the dealer was unwilling to diagnose the problem. This is the Lithia dealer in Redding, Ca, btw. About a month after our car was out of warranty for the hybrid battery, it failed to start. Dealer said it was the transaxle and quoted us $5k to fix. We took it to an independent hybrid shop and the codes clearly said it was the hybrid battery and they said the dealer had never replaced the spark plugs during its major tune-up even though our receipts read that both were done and paid for. After doing some research we seriously doubted that diagnosis and took the car to an independent hybrid shop. Got the battery and plugs replaced for $2500 and symptoms seemed to go away. However within a month both water pumps went out and car still has intermittent trouble with turning on and off, dashboard lights coming and going, etc. Bottom line is this: (1) our Prius was good for about 5 years of service and then it became one very expensive problem after another and (2) Dealer where we live will say/do anything to avoid having to replace the battery within the 10 year warranty period. Too bad. We used to think Toyota was a good company.

Reliable as always
By Yaser Ahmed

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was a bit hesitant since it's my first hybrid, but it is as reliable as the conventional and trusted Toyotas are.

engine no Methusula
By RossS

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Even though I've changed the oil/filter religiously, at 225,000 miles now, I'm burning a ton of oil, and have to top off every 2000 miles. I'm told the only fix is a new engine (apparently ring and valve jobs are a thing of the past). I have a better fix - a trade-in. Even so, I'd still buy this car again. I guess maybe I'd use synthetic from day one, although I haven't done the math - that might actually be more expensive in the long run.

Love my 10 year old Prius
By H Ross

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a car that was good on gas and I sure found it! I bought the Prius four months ago and although my husband was dubious that I would drive it, we take it everywhere. Even at 10 years old, it runs smooth and is very dependable. I read quite a few reports before buying the 2007 model and also talked with dealers and everything pointed to a good used vehicle.

$5,500 transmission needed in only 101K miles!!!
By John

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My Prius only made it 101K miles...carefully driven and faithfully maintained and suddenly the 'red triangle of death" light came on. The "transmission" , which is comprised of a single planetary differential gear set and two electric motors, suddenly needs replacing. Toyota does not provide parts for rebuilding...they only sell a complete transmission (gears and motor) for $3,500 and it costs $2,000 to install it. There is a TSB on this so it's a known issue (codes POAA66, 526, and 613). The specific failure is caused by winding deterioration in the traction motor (MG2). So instead of selling the parts needed to rebuild (MG2) and providing instruction to rebuild...nope...you get a whole transmission. Oh...and good luck with the Toyota Corporation itself to help share the cost of a defective part...they took the information and never called back. Keep in mind the batteries are original on this vehicle (another $3K) they could go as well...so in essence...you are ROLLING A DICE when you purchase a Prius. Many get lucky based on what I read in the reviews but in my case and plenty of others (do your homework)...this was a 100K mile vehicle...and no more.