Used 2008 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Pathfinder

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

First Pathy....but not last
By Buzzo in NY

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I researched mid-sized SUVs for about six months before deciding to buy my Pathfinder. My comparisons were "whittled" down to the T4R, Acura MDX and NPF. Considering the MDX was about 10K more than I wanted to spend....then there were two. What ultimately made my decision easy was the financing Nissan offered and to date have not been disappointed. I only have about 7K miles on it and have not yet experienced any of the transmission "clunking" stated by other reviewers. One thing I'm keeping an eye/ear on is the amount of engine vibration that exists between 4K and 5K RPM. It seems to smooth out closer to the redline. Extremely happy so far however...

Manual shifting option, Backup camera, Aggressive looks, Standard towing package, Roof racks, decent stock stereo

Ditch the third row seat and push the second row back about 8 inches. Add a lock to the gas cap. Add finer adjustment to the tilt steering wheel. I am 6'3" tall and struggle to find a comfortable angle. Tighter turning radius.

The best
By cone747

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE-V8 4dr SUV 4WD (5.6L 8cyl 5A)

Build quality of a tank! The power and "tightness" makes it feel like your driving an unstoppable machine. This is the best vehicle I've owned. The luxury interior is awesome and has every thing you can want on a car (le version). Gas mileage isn't good (12.9), but if a cared I would have gotten a hybrid. Electic 4x4 is great never misses a beat locking in or catching it in auto. Suspension is great and the breaks are ultra smooth. Don't compare the v6 to the v8. Though they look alike there completely different I have driving both. The v6 is a wanna be, the v8 is the real deal.

Power, speed, luxury, styling

ditch the useless third row. Push back the back seats for more leg room and make them more comfortable.

Nice
By Jackwebb182

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love it.. I wish it had heated seats like the Honda Pilot though. It looks good and drives great. A little unstable in high winds. Controls are positioned rather oddly.

Rear TV camera

Heated seats.

Worse vehicle I have ever bought!
By Bon

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle after reading reviews on how good this vehicle was and on advice from other people - worse mistake I have made regarding a vehicle purchase. Picked up the car and within 35 miles the check engine light came on, took it back to the service department, they said they fixed it and 35 miles later, the check engine light was back on - stayed in the shop almost 2 weeks. Have had it home 1 month and it is back in the shop now because of some other problem. I've had this car less than 2 months and it's been in the shop more than I've had it home!!!

Back up camera

Get the engine and parts working right before you put it on the market

Pathfinder Tranny/cruise/handling issues
By Aviatorduke

2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built vehicle, typical Nissan workmanship and design in the build. Very happy with the power to weight. Gets up and goes for a vehicle in this class. As another contributor stated and I have to agree I too like the "throaty" sound with acceleration. Great towing power and good off road handling with the 4x4. On the downside I think the tires are too soft for the vehicle weight and at highway speed it is very sloppy and wanders. I too experience what seems like tranny lurching on downhill grades but I found if I turned the cruise off it stopped. Seems as vehicle gets driven more it is better - not sure what that is all about. During servicing I have brought that issue to dealership.

The XM radio and sound system. Backup cam is awesome! My wife has had issues backing up and that has helped her! Like the fuel computer. Love the big comfortable front "arm chairs" and the heated seats are great in the "minus a million" weather!

Could use a bit more HP to perhaps give a a little better fuel mileage (power to weight). Bluetooth - come on Nissan it is 2008! Putting in the nav system with the backup cam would be better. How about some arm rests for the front seat folks in the big arm chairs! Fix the power train issue fast!