Used 2010 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2010 Maxima SV - A Review after putting 15K miles.
By Vijay

2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this Maxima at 80k milex approximately for a grand total of 10k. It was a great deal as the car came fully loaded. The acceleration, power, braking and driver comfort are great. I bought this car in a MidWest state and had no issues driving on flat roads. I relocated to the East coast and drove my Maxima all the way and it did great. However, with a month of driving on the East Coast Potholes and bumpy roads, the right front strut gave up! The spring failed and I put some money to replace the front two struts and the rear shocks along with bushings and control arms. I know it was a premature wear but after changing, the car feels and runs like new. However, when I hit bumps, there are little noises from the rear which I neglect by turning up the radio. The cabin noise is pretty low but sometimes I feel Honda or Toyota cars are more silent. It is a very stable car for cruising cross country and wont give a body ache. Seats are very comfortable and has a 6 dof adjustment which is great! The milage is pretty low in the city. It gives around 18-19 in the city and 27-28 in highways. my car shows an average of 24.9 mpg. Overall, a great car with all the necessary luxuries.

A well built machine
By TexasDriver

2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought mine with 81000 miles and I used to drive it about 25k per year. Very well built car, has alot of nice options and everything seems to work rather well. Bluetooth kind of sucks, people would complain they can't hear me well. I had heated/cooled seat, yes singular... Nissan decided it was too much to give the passenger a cooled seat too even though it has perforated leather like the driver's seat.... Anyway, heated seat for the passenger. Heated steering wheel was really nice. Leather held up really nice all the way to 150k miles(I just sold it). You don't need Nissan's 'ester oil' just use mobile1 fully synthetic every 7k miles. Dealership charged me $40 to do so in Houston. Bought some OEM recommended Goodyear Eagle RS-1 tires which gave me about 50k miles (mostly highway) and held up really well in terms of traction in the crazy rains in Houston.

Relpairs:
Replaced the belt at 145k miles, it was getting very dry and cracking, pretty cheap ~$80.
Resurfaced rotors (never bought new ones idk if the guy before me did), and ofcourse breakpads.
Changed spark plugs at 100k, pay a few more dollars and use OEM spark plugs, it's the most optimum option for your engine.
Had to replace shocks and struts at 100k, this one is due to a leak. It would've ate up my new tires and vibration is never good for a mechanical equipment, alot of people cut corners and pay for other problems. This one however is on Nissan, appearantly its a known issue, and nissan recalled for it. I didn't know... My loss. ($1000) for all 4 OEM shocks and struts + labor. I took off a star for reliability for this one.

Miles aint nothing but numbers on 2010 sv...
By BFREE

2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

212k plus and no issues whatsoever. I just changed the original struts, shocks and control arms (worn out) at 210k. I have done the maintanance (pretty much) as reccommended by Nissan and I have been rewarded with supurb reliability. CVT fluid change is expensive at $300 but, I have had no reliability issues with it. Oil changes with regular 5w30 every 5000 miles. The car still drives excellent the engine is as strong as ever,even though it has never had a tuneup. I'm going to do one just because I think I should, though no issues with power and performance. I would prefer a dual clutch automatic over the CVT, but the engine power at any speed amkes the CVT a non issue. I drove a four cylinder Altima CVT and hated it, but it works well with the V6. I wish the car had a little more top end perfomance at high speeds (over 100), but I rarely have a safe opportunity to drive that fast so no issue. I have the mid level SV with with leather. I have had lesser cars with leather that didnt fade like my caffe latte front seats have, also the vinyl around the outside of the seats and on the arm rest has started to crack. I know the premium trim is supposed to have higher quality leather, but why??? If it's leather it should all be of high quality with higher trims maybe having a better grain. The cupholders should have removable rubber inserts as any spills require cleanup directlyi the cupholder. Original equoptment tires were trash in rain and snow. Once I bought better tires rain and snow handling were very good. The car actually hydroplaned when new on the original tires. Handling is great, though I wish the ride was a little less firm and more sound deadening would be nice.

5 years, 125k miles
By John

2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned Maxima 2000 and got 260k out of it; died due to New England salt and rust. 2010: It took a while to get used to CVT but the car retains great acceleration with a different feel. Very pleased with 27mpg mixed driving. The major moving part I replaced was one of the bearings at about 110k. The replacement resulted in the care decelerating less when not on the gas pedal. The drive train has proven reliable. Bose stereo is outstanding. Sunroof never leaks. Emergency handling is stellar. Braking is solid although unremarkable; no diving. Rain and snow are handling are mostly dependent upon tire choices. Headlights not as illuminating as my wife's Honda Odyssey 2012 for reasons I don't understand. Bose stereo is 'da bomb.' I use synthetic oil - change every 10k. Leather holding up well. Will definitely buy another but it will probably be at least another 5 years.

Don't warranty to be approved.
By tbeard0902

2010 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I own a 2010 Nissan Maxima. I took it to Gray Daniels Nissan in Brandon MS for a warranty claim on the driver seat back.
The pins on the seat back had broken and thus the back was laying on the rear seat.
The claim was denied by the service manager in Aug. 2012 and again in January 2013 and again by Nissan Customer Care.
The reason for not approving the warranty was that their was physical damage.
However, they agreed there were no tears, scuffs, marks, or scratches of any kind on the seat or seat back.
Thus the very reason we came to Nissan was for warranty of the broken pins and the reason we were denied warranty was that the pin were broken. WOW!

Fix the seat backs so that the pins don't break....or warranty the broken pins!