Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Rethinking My Loyalty to Jeep
By max888

2008 Jeep Wrangler X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Initially purchased 2007 Wrangler 2- door X model. Freedom top (hard top) repeatedly leaked, despite many trip to the service dept at the dealership. Service manager told me, "They all leak," as though it should be expected. Jeep did a buy- back and shipped it back to Michigan. Replaced it with '08. Same thing--top and doors leaked like sieves. Repeated servicing, heavy-duty gaskets installed finally solved leakage problem. Next--the "death wobble." Not a new experience, as '95 Cherokee had done the same thing. Steering stabilizer replacement fixed the problem. Now, the dealership is telling me that at 54k m., the shocks are "seeping," steering damper "leaking." Want $800--NOT!

4WD, small size, visibility--always liked Wranglers, but doubt I will buy another, since they've turned into CRAP.

Redesign leaky Freedom top (if I had wanted a convertible, I would have bought one,) leaky doors, leaky windows, steering stabilizer (obviously a chronic and DANGEROUS problem for YEARS), and doors that allow water to pour into vehicle when it rains. Could use a bigger engine, too, IMO.

Don't buy this car
By Jsami

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car almost three years ago and it operated fine until four months ago. First the car developed a starting problem. I have taken the car in five times for this problem and they still have not fixed it. Then the car developed another problem this time all the cars alarms went off at the same time then the win shield washer turned on and then the transmission began to kick. Apparently according to my dealer the problem was caused by my car's radio which came with the car. Then my cars AC gave out when I took it to the dealer they kept the car for four days and said nothing was wrong. Then a few days later the AC broke down so I took it to the dealer and showed it to the manager.

If you are looking for a new car don't buy a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge. Sometimes I think I bought a time share on the car because my dealer has the car about 40% of the time.

It's a Jeep!
By Matt

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Love it, nothing like taking the top off for the evening commute, and just cruise. Smooth ride, good fuel mileage. Get 20-21 hwy, if you can keep your foot out of it. People complain that it is sluggish, it is made to get you wherever you want to go, not a 0-60 hot rod. Everyone that has taken a closer look and ride, wants one. I will be a Wrangler owner for life.

The 3 piece hard top. Can remove over the front in 10 min. Folding rear seats, plenty of cargo room.

Exterior fenders and bumpers are too easily to fade. Perhaps a carbon fiber option, lol.

Very Satisfied
By VSmith

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2 door Sahara in Dec 2007 and put about 6K on it annually. I've been very satisfied with it, no problems or service needed beyond oil changes. I've had good luck with Jeep products with respect to reliability.

Cool looks, very off road capable.

Needs a bit more pep, hard top does occasionally leak a drop or two, but I'm in Florida (it rains here) and it is after all a Jeep!

It's a jeep nuff said
By Ricky

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Have had many jeeps in fact traded a 2002 gc limited to buy the wrangler so far only minor problems that the dealer has always fixed in day I most problems are dealer related (either don't now how or don't want to fix problems, guess I'm lucky.

top, down door off