2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Buyer beware!
By Gary

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Bought this vehicle brand new. Have had nothing but problems with it. Back rear shocks needed replacing at 9880 miles, then went bad again at 43000 miles. First set was repaired under warranty, but the 2nd set they said I needed to replace @ $1470. Never towed anything, highway miles only. Also had oil sensor go bad at 37900 miles. Continuous problems with radio as well. Very disappointed in this vehicle. This was my first Jeep. It will also be my last.

No issues, great ride and upscale
By Gerard

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 75th Anniversary 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The engine and gearbox are the best, extremely smooth and powerful when needed in Sport mode. The ride is quiet, and front seats designed for long travel with best support. It handles and feels better than competition (Ford explorer) and is more luxurious than GM SUVs.

Avoid if need tech
By Lynn

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Would not start in my garage. Think rfi from connected garage door opener, but Jeep never figured out. Know 2 other people with this issue, hold brake peddle down hard for a minute and Starts. Dealer said to go away, hire lawyer they couldn’t fix. In shop 14 times in 18 months. Uconnect horrible, lots of dropped calls. Hemi is fun. Wants mid grade gas. 20mpg.

P.O.S. LEMON DEATH TRAP
By Brian Randall

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

DO NOT BUY THIS SUV! You will take the Grand Cherokee for a test drive and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but just wait.... The first week I had the Jeep I almost died in the name of fuel economy. I was sitting at a light and the automatic engine shut off shut off the engine. Pretty cool I think. Until the light starts to turn red and I hit the gas - the car starts, lunges forward, and dies. Right in the intersection. I live in Los Angeles. Trust me, this is not a good place to be stalled. It took me half a minute to get the Jeep started again. I thought it was a fluke. It wasn't. I started to turn off the auto engine shut every time I got in the car (there is a button for this) but sometimes I forget and it's so annoying. I am not the only one that hates this feature, there are actually videos on Youtube to teach you how to disable this feature. This feature blows and is super dangerous, all to supposedly save a few drops of gas. Second, the GPS/Infotainment system is terrible. It's so slow and keeps getting slower. I use my iphone instead. The vehicle settings keep switching to metric (like KMPH) for some reason and I have had to reset this several times. But the worst about this car is what has been an issue for the Jeep for the last several years. It's the transmission/shifter. Remember that kid from Star Trek that died when his Jeep ran him over? Remember the recalls? They still haven't figured it out. My Jeep likes to shift out of gear and into neutral all by itself while I'm driving. Yes, this is very dangerous. Or it refuses to shift out of park. I have had it in the shop three times now and they can't fix it. I found out the 2016 had a recall for this very same issue. Well, they obviously didn't fix the issue on the 2017. Then, to make the Jeep even more dangerous, this week I had to stop quickly and hit the brakes...the car just kept on going like I was trying to stop on ice (remember I live in L.A. and it's 95 degrees. There is no ice). I had to quickly take my foot off the brakes then hit the brakes again and the car stopped. Luckily I avoided rear ending the lady with the baby in the car by inches. Maybe next time I won't be so lucky. I have 12,000 miles on the Jeep and it's not even a year old and I'm done with it. LEMON. Get your act together Fiat/Chrysler and fix the issues with the Jeep.

NOT really intended for off road usage
By John Leek

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased this vehicle because I am a bird hunter and in our part of the country that means late summer through winter. I wanted a capable vehicle to get in and out of snow covered hunting fields and to deal with mud, frozen mud, slick wet grass, the occasional flooded woodland road and unimproved two tracks, BUT I was also hoping to be able to do more regular off-roading too. Don't get me wrong, the Trail Hawk is a very capable vehicle BUT after owning mine for 20,000 plus miles it is apparent that what I purchased was marketing. Item 1. You can easily find FCA videos on the web showing the vehicles being used in serious off road environments showing you how the Select Terrain system functions and how capable the vehicles are, but if you look closely all of them have the lower front valance removed and the optional Rock Rails or sliders as some people call them installed. They protect the vulnerable rocker panels. Well just try to get them. After the frustration of trying to locate them, my service provider told me that they are on "Celestial Back Order" and no one can get them, plus if you can find them even though the company website states that install time is a reasonable hour and half, technicians that have installed them say it take more like 11 hours, at Dealer shop rates. Item 2. The units all come with the TPMS system. One of the first things you learn in off roading is the technique of airing down for more traction and to put more flex in the tires to avoid fatal side wall punctures. With the TPMS system not only will the dash board be going crazy while you are aired down, but you run the risk of crushing the TMPS unit as the softer tire rolls over obstacles. Item 3. speaking of tires, the truck comes with an 18 inch wheel and tire set up. this limits your choice of all terrain or mud terrain tires to less that 3 choices. None of the more popular/aggressive tires come in that size so if you want to run them you have to buy a new set of rims for your brand new truck, Plus new tires. Item 4. for some reason even though the Trail Hawk package is marketed as a capable off road "Trail Rated" vehicle the package eliminates the rear tow point and installs a Class VI hitch. its a minor thing but then you have to purchase a aftermarket receiver link and shackle to allow for recovery from the rear if you get hung up. Item 5. with the smooth plastic covered bumpers there is no solid mount point for a standard off road High lift jack. it comes with a standard automotive scissors jack that might not work in a off the pavement situation. Item 6. If you don't order or pick a lot unit with the LED lighting set up the head lights are terrible and there is no mounting point for additional auxiliary lighting. Admittedly these seem like small things, but when I spoke to one of the Jeep Brand folks associated with setting up their company sponsored Jeep Jamborees about participating in one, the first thing he suggested was to have the Rock Rails installed and mount upgraded tires. It's a let down to know that Jeep knows the lower front valance needs to be removed and the rock rails need to be installed before they take the vehicles out and run them off road AND at least one of the folks who organize the Jamborees knows the you need better tires and the rails to participate in their events. I suggest that if you plan to do any serious off roading or Overlanding opt for the Wrangler. The Grand Cherokee is like a divers watch rated to 10,000 feet. it can go there if it had too but it is mostly going to be worn to the mall.