2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

1000 miles on my newly used 2017 Overlander.
By Jim

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I am now officially spoiled! What a comfortable, quiet ride! I feel this was a great choice for me (towing, comfort, all wheel drive) my size (6’4”) and budget

Don't waste your money
By Cbeps5@gmail.com

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my third Jeep, the first two were great and ran well, I still have the 82 Renegade and it runs great. I am assuming that when they were purchased by Fiat things went downhill. My new Grand Cherokee has been in the shop numerous times, the radio has went out twice, the paint is peeling off my hood, the seats are wearing out and my transmission has went out twice in the past 18 months. I have spent $600 to replace the blend doors just two months ago and its back in the shop today. I will repair it one more time and run as quickly as I can to trade it in, I will never purchase another Jeep. It's a shame that the name Jeep no longer stands for quality

Can't seem to find anything quite as nice.
By Glen

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Never thought to write a review until I began looking for another car. I have the 2017 Limited and I'm looking for a second smaller commuter car. I compare everything to this and nothing can really compare. I'm an avid snowmobiler and have taken my 2017 Limited as I did with my 2014 Limited on many long rides to deep snowy places. The road handle is smooth, quite, comfortable and enjoyable. I pull my sleds in the winter and my boat in the summer. Never a problem. When I hit the deep snow the traction is great and any off-roading situations are handled perfectly. I do put on some Blizteks snow tires for the winter and they have proven themselves as well. Really loving the Jeep and hope I could find a midsize sedan that won't feel absolutely inadequate in comparison. highly recommend the Limited.

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, better then I expected
By Gary Sisk

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Normally I don't like doing reviews so early after a purchase of something but this Jeep is so outstanding I just had to do it. We purchased the Laredo model in March of 2018 during Jeeps model closeout and we feel got a very good price. I had been researching the Jeep GC for months and honestly went in with mixed emotions because of the mixed reviews. Normally I don't put much value in reviews as I never know if they are honest or not. So for me every time I seen someone with a Jeep GC I would ask them how they like their rig. Without exception they were all raving reviews, one gentleman said he had owned 4 of them, some going over 200k miles and no problems. So my wife and I decided to buy. This past week we took a trip to Montana to visit grand kids and family. This is a 10 hour trip, many steep hills to cross in Northern Idaho and lots of flat ground in Washington and Oregon. My wife probably sums it up best when she said "this Jeep GC just wants to run". That is a big statement when you consider our other rig is a Ram Hemi which runs VERY WELL. The Jeep GC handles like it is on rails, accelerates up hills without any challenge, passes slower cars without any effort. We just love the ride, the way it handles and for the 1000 mile trip averaged 27.5 MPG, speed at 65-75 MPH so to us fuel mileage is better then expected. We love the design of the car, fit and finish is excellent and interior is very comfortable, even being the base Laredo model. I am 6'5" tall and car like rigs just don't fit me, this one has plenty of room for my long legs and plenty of head and shoulder room. Getting in/out is excellent as the doors open very wide so tall people like myself can slide in and out very easy. At this point I just can't say anything negative about it, time will tell. But I suspect/hope its the same quality as our 04 Ram which has 191k miles with zero problems... I don't know the off-road capability of the GC but because its a jeep I would say it will do fine. For us we just wanted a 4x4 capable rig for traveling on the highway during the winter in Oregon, Washington and Montana, this one does the job. If you are in the market for a 4x4 rig that rides great, has plenty of power, looks very nice and can handle any situation you should consider the Jeep GC. Oh, and gets very good fuel mileage, the Jeep just can't be beat.

Stuck with a Lemon, but can't make lemonade.
By Garett M

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought a new 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the cold weather package on Labor Day weekend of 2017. I live in ND, so I considered it a necessity to have a block heater. The first issue I had with it was the heater motor/blower unit; it started having trouble in Oct about 40 days of owning it and below 3000 miles. First snowstorm of the year, and I couldn't even defrost my front windshield. It was replaced under warranty, but only after I had to take it to two different dealerships and file a customer complaint. The second issue I had was with the factory autostart. They have extremely poor range and wasn't starting the vehicle. I was told after 3 consecutive starts it automatically disables it from being started until you are inside the vehicle. This was happening every other time trying to start it; not after 3 starts. I was told at the dealership that they couldn't recreate either issue and that is was operating as designed. I was also warned that installing a 3rd party autostart will risk voiding the factory warranty. The third issue I am currently dealing with is that it will randomly shut off while driving it. The engine shuts off and all exterior lights/dash go out; no prior warning or indication of an issue. I got stranded because of this and had it towed to the dealership at the end of January 2018. The most infuriating thing is that the manufacturer tells me that they care for my safety but won't admit that this is unsafe to drive. I have tried working with the dealership and Jeep's customer resolution team. So far, I have received nothing but bully tactics and misinformation from both parties. I also apparently can't file for a Lemon buyback because they are all "separate issues." The North Dakota Lemon Law is terrible and needs an update; can't really say the Chrysler Fiat program is any better. You apparently need to get into an accident or kill somebody before they will even consider it. Overall, if I didn't have these issues it would probably have been a great vehicle. Most of the stress from the repairs comes from incompetence of the dealerships and extremely poor customer service by the manufacturer. After this nightmare, I will never buy another Chrysler Fiat product again.