Used 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Better than my 2 past Range Rover Sports!
By Joe V

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I would compare the Summit Edition to be more like the higher end SUV’s on the market. Ie. Range Rover Sport, Lexus, BMW, etc. This is my second Jeep Summit and unless I suddenly become super wealthly I will keep buying this Jeep. : )

Great Overall Vehicle!
By Dbal72

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I waited two years to write this review. Purchased my 2014 Overland 4x4 off-lease in 2016. I now have 76,000 miles on it. I have had zero issues with this jeep. No repairs outside of normal maintenance. (oil changes, air filter, fluids, etc.) I know a lot of people had issues with the 14's early on with recalls so I am thinking the early bugs are gone with the many uconnect updates and trans updates. My transmission is silky smooth and shifts great. I acutally prefer the "T" electronic shifter that was in the 14' and 15's, but understand why it was changed with people leaving it in gear. Had FCA simply had the "fix" in place at the start, there would not have been issues as you can't leave it in gear and open a door. It will automatically shift into park for safety. My wife drives a 14' dodge Durango Citadel AWD with the same 3.6 so it is interesting to compare the two. I loved hers so much, but didn't need the third row and wanted something a tad shorter. This fits the bill. Interesting though the two vehicles drive quite differently. The Durango drives a tad tighter and sportier than the Jeep. The Jeep is a little more relaxed and absorbs the bigger bumps better. I have the Quadra-lift suspension which to me, is a mixed bag. No issues with it and I love being able to lower it backing up to hitches or washing it. I have also raised it going over very high snow banks. Mostly I like it when I load it. I often put many heavy items from home improvement stores in it and the air suspension auto corrects and levels. Also great when towing. The only thing I don't like on the quadralift is I feel it actually picks up the tiny imperfections more than the Durango. Odd as the bigger bumps it is the opposite. Sport mode in the Jeep keeps it in aero mode (Lower) and tightens the steering slightly while making shift points a lot more aggressive. I wish you could have the aero setting, but normal shift points. Make it customizable. You can't though so I rarely use Sport Mode. The Jeep is plenty roomy and comfortable in not only front, but rear bench as it reclines as well. Overland has the leather stitched dash, LED puddle lights and interior ambient lightning that is nice. The interior is very nice for its class minus a few cost-cutting areas such as the bottom half of doors which is hard plastic. Still no rattles or squeaks in the Jeep. Solid as can be. I really like the Uconnect and user-friendliness of it. Have had no issues with it either. 17' models on added apple car play. The acceleration from the 3.6 is adequate. Around town is fine, on the highway would be nice to have some extra upper end torque and horsepower. I think they should bump this 3.6 up to 305-310 horse like in the Challenger. Not sure why they don't in Jeep. I avg. about 22mpg in mixed 50/50 driving which I think is fine based on a 5,000 lb suv. In the next version of the GC I hope it sheds some weight as it is a heavy pig for the size. Most alternatives to this same size are in the 4500lb range. Overall I am very happy with the vehicle as it is the swiss army knife of vehicles. Nice enough to pull up to a fine restaurant, enough cargo room to carry gear and five people yet rugged enough to go off-road with no issues. I have taken mine off-road often through mud and rutted roads as I have a cabin up north. It also is a tank in the snow using the snow mode which locks the differentials and changes shift patterns and ETC. As a used purchase I highly recommend one and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Enjoyable
By John

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Voice recognition is terrible. But the cars as give us no trouble. At 70000 miles 1 wheel bearing had to be replaced under warranty

Awesome ride!
By Tim

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 4dr SUV 4WD (6.4L 8cyl 8A)

Love the look and feel of the Jeep SRT! Power, handling and controls are top of the line.

overland 2WD V8 , just one hiccup
By OverallHappy

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This review is relative. The dropdown doesn't let us choose the V8 non SRT versions. I came off a V8 BMW X5 4 x 4 sport package to this Jeep in the mid $47K range. Its a truck chassis but smooth ride , but less car than the X5. Chose the V8 2WD , all good except Water pump failed at 36K in warranty . The only other glitch was a blown fuse on a 12 V cigarette lighter socket. Love the tech, the interior styling and leather, spec - heated seats and wheel, large size spare. Some reviews may be V8 like mine, V8 with rear traction control fine on most streets tho no snow in TX..So I had mine on a 3 year lease and bought it at the end. Its an AMERICAN truck and has had one $165 water pump fail in 36K which isn't good but the electronic Tech said stop. In the same 3 years my X5 was in the Garage 10 times for serious faults electrics, fire (!) ,suspension, air bags . The 8 speed transmissions come from two sources , maybe I have a good one, its smooth. 17 Mpg is my max with 15 average. Downside is the dealership, 1 week waiting list always. 2 recalls fixed (one on Trans) . good value.