Used 2006 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 293 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Impressed
By like the pilot

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have never owned an import, but on a whim I took the this used Pilot for a test drive. I have owned several Yukon/Tahoe and Yukon XL/Suburbans. I wanted something smaller with better mpg's but that I could fit 3 kids in and still have room in the back for hockey gear or golf clubs. To my surprise the Pilot drove excellently and with the 3rd seat down had lots of storage space. My kids are young enough so that all 3 can sit in the 2nd row with 1 car seat and one booster. Average 14.5 mpg with 100% city driving(lead foot), and average 20 with 100% highway driving and about 17 with mixed driving. Which could be better but I think is not bad for a AWD vehicle. Rides great and is comfortable.

Resale Value, Safety

Automatic on/off headlights, auto dimming mirrors (My 2002 suburban has these.)

Pilot x2
By kayaking

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So we had a 2003 Pilot EX-L, wife totaled it - no injuries. Insurance $ came in, so we looked at Toyota, Ford, GM etc but nothing matches the quality and reliability and safety and functionality and SPACE! 3 kids + 2 neighbors for school runs Goalie equipment Camping equipment+tent trailer music - drums, guitars, keyboards etc beach trips - kayaking and beaching Road trips to East coast -

low depreciation! Flexible seating - hauls everything-PLUS 3 kids RES with ear jacks - so quiet! -30 Weather - heated leather seats! 4WD!

Better towing Better external style

Hondas You gotta love 'em
By Mysteryd

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Honda family, we went from the Accord to the Cr-V then lastly to the Pilot, the change too a short minute to get used to, the size of the vehicle is a jump up from the CR-V, and the power is a great big leap of fun, the power of the v-6 and the ease of the excelaration to merge onto the highway is for lack of a better word "Cool".. The vehicle feels solid going around turns, has a smaller turning radius that the Accord, which surprised me. I live in NYC and we all know of the snow drifts from the sanitation trucks that gets pushed next to your car, they were no problem at all, to climb over with the power the Pilot. I would recommend it to any one.

I like the high seating position, and the comfort you feel going almost any where on the highway, the safe feeling.

Get a better, sub woofer and speaker holders, they rattle too much to really enjoy the stereo fully.

Solid Car
By ck

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car b/c are family was expanding to 3 kids. It is held up remarkably well and is a very solid car. It seats 5 kids easily. The ride in the front seats is good. The ride in the 2nd and 3rd rows is stiff (the bench seats are very stiff). I have had no problems with the car and I am up to 100k miles. For the money, it was an excellent buy. My one pain point with the car is the gas mileage...it is avg about 19 mpg which translates into a big fuel big for someone with a decent commute length.

Interior and cargo space (we got a full size couch in the car!!). Leather seats and interior that hold up to 3 kids.

The radio buttons are a real reach from the driver position. You need to lean forward to change them, its odd. Instead of a bench in the 2nd row how about an option for 2 seats. Any improvement in the gas mileage would be much appreciated.

Safety ratings won me over
By GR

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot just 5 months ago with 42,000 miles on it. It lacked some of the exterior style elements of the competition, but the interior features seem to fit our lifestyle better. The determining factor was the safety rating. This vehicle won out, hands down! Lucky for me, because last week I totaled my poor Pilot. This vehicle did exactly what it was supposed to do. Protect the occupants. My car's front end was totally smashed, the hood was folded nearly as high as the roof and I was protected in the cab. Other than bruises from the restraints and air bag deployment I am fine and totally amazed. So now the painful part, finding another one.

Cargo/seating flexibility, cup holders accessibility of power ports, heated seats, height, very easy to get in and out, and the view! MPG could better but not bad, we averaged about 18mpg.

Biggest beef, towing! You have to have components added to the engine in order to tow anything! I don't recall that finding in my first research. So if you're hoping to tow the 3500 lbs the vehicle's rated for, plan on spending about $1200 to get the equipment added.