Used 2011 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Another rave review
By noflash1

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride is very smooth and the van feels so solid, it really feels like you are driving an Acura.
We got the EXL to get a ton of goodies and nothing too frivilous.
I can't consider $2k for nav when I need it once a year and can buy an aftermarket for $200.
And I don't want my kids watching DVDs the second they get in the car.

The EXL has tons of great features; my favorite being the CD Library -- it'll record about 400 songs from your CDs to a hard drive.

The safety is top notch, great crash test, large rear view camera is very comforting.

We've been averaging 24 mpg in mild weather -- no A/C.

It's the only minivan you can fit 2 carseat and a Granni in the middle row.

Heated Seats, CD Library, Sunroof, Crash tests, rear view camera, bluetooth

More adjustable seatback, better gas mileage, 6 speed for non Touring models

Awesome Vehicle
By daytonjohn

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The new Honda Odyssey is absolutely fantastic to own and drive.
We had owned the 1999 Odyssey and drove it for 9-years, loving it.
The new Odyssey is improved in every way.
The ride is very comfortable even on long trips.
The way the middle seats can be adjusted, including sliding outward toward each door is very innovative and allows for up to three child seats side-by-side if needed.
We also have a 2011 Buick Enclave which has been excellent, but I enjoy the features and overall driving characteristics better in the Honda.

The integrated Navigation and the Music/Radio are wonderful. The ride is very comfortable and the six cylinder engine is quite powerful. My favorite surprise was the vehicle gas milage and range. You can drive over 525 miles on one tank full. This is at least 100 miles further than the Toyota. Toyota has a 20 gal. tank, while Honda has 21. The mpg of the Honda exceeds the Toyota by at least 3 mpg, and I think actually more.

The Toyota has two glove compartments which would present an opportunity for Honda to make an improvement. Could have used roof rails, when I purchased a couple of 13 1/2 ft. kayaks. Fortunately I was able to get them to our marina in the back of the van with the rear door open.

Underwhelmed
By abf13

2011 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove a tan LX that I loved and was fun to drive.
I purchased a different one for a better price and it does not seem at all like the one I tested (yes, they were both LX's) Mine has 4K miles on it and the SVT traction sensor has gone bad.
The cheap plastic used in construction scratches/dents easily and leaves white gouges.
I can move the dashboard with my hand. The city gas mpg is more around the 12-13 mark than the 19 stated by the EPA.
I have found the controls awkward.
The van is very bumpy, the ECO light constantly goes on and off and I can feel the shifting when this happens, and it does not have very much power.
Overall, wish I had purchased the Sienna

Hm. The design is very nice, I love the look of the van. I wish they hadn't sacrificed functionality for design as the van is so low is scrapes all the time, my husband and I hit our heads on the door jamb constantly and watch out for the rear hatch! Same thing. We had a wagon and never had that problem. I do like the Oil Life gauge, the numerous compartments up front to put items/purses/etc. The trunk has great side cubbies for diapers and toys, but putting the stroller in and out has chipped the cheap plastic, never had this problem with our wagon either. It does stear well and has a good turning radius, but is very creaky.

Not sure where to start, I feel this van missed the mark on so many levels and wished I had purchased the used 2010 Sienna we had been looking at. When the loan is over we'll be trading it in for a Sienna..I think we'll get more for our money. This van has NO special features, for the price, I'd expect more..if you are shopping in this price range go with a Dodge or Chrysler. My husband's Ford Focus is built better then this van is.

Not happy; Should have stayed with Sienna.
By reyam

2011 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in Feb. 2011. It now has 12500 miles combined city and highway. This Honda shifts erratically and down shifts with a jerk. The transmission
seems to be searching for the correct gear way too much.
It has poor low end torque from a stop light and will occasionally not react when I step on the gas; scary when proceeding through a 4 way stop. I took it to the dealer 2 times but upon their road test said it was acting normally. Very noisy on interstate roads but quiet in town. I owned 2 Toyota Sienna's before; one had 157,000 miles and the other had 218,000 miles. No problems with either one. I went with Honda this time because Toyota was going through some quality control problems.

Comfortable seating and lots of room inside. I am a delivery person and carry various sized packages with in a 500 mile radius and like the cargo space. Good visibility and quiet in town. Feels like a safe vehicle. I like putting several music cd's in memory and not having to carry them around.

Fix the transmission problem; i.e. low end torque, erratic shifting and intermittent no response when stepping on the gas. My old Sienna with over 200 k miles had lots of pick-up from a stop light. My daughter's 4 cylinder car has more pick-up than this Odyssey.

A Pleasant Surprise
By mpyles1

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Needing a vehicle that carried more than 5 adults comfortably, I started my search focused on third-row comfort, as differences in comfort for first- and second-row passengers in current minivans are minimal.
An owner of German cars, I first looked at the new M-B R class but found it's third row lacking (and I have not found M-B reliability to be the best).
A fan of good car design, I next looked at the Ford Flex.
It was a real possibility.
But then I test drove a Honda Odyssey and found myself sitting in the most comfortable interior -- in any position -- of any vehicle I have ever encountered.

Here's a shock. I am a performance nut and own a 2010 Audi R8 V10. But more and more often, when I am driving alone or carrying just one passenger, I grab the Honda keys. Why? Well, the thing is just so darn all-around pleasant. It drives astonishingly well for a vehicle of its size. It's reasonably peppy and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. And, whether it's just me or a passel of friends, everyone is comfortable from stem to stern. The biggest surprise: the sound system. It's perhaps the best of any car I've owned, including several high-end German cars and a Lexus. (I have the Touring Elite with the 12-speaker systems.)

The dashboard functionality is fine, but it could look at bit more classy (especially in the top-end models). And there is a highly annoying chirp at highway speed that one should never encounter in a Honda. I'm going to have the dealer look into it at the first oil change, we be all know how devilishly hard those creaks can be to locate. In a vehicle that does so many things sometimes conflicting things so surprisingly well, a loud chronic squeak is VERY frustrating.