Used 2004 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 345 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Zero To Hero
By Paul

2004 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my manuel Protege for this so my wife could drive also and hated it from the start because it was boring and I didn't have trust in Ford cars. Now it's my work car and after driving it more I have learned to love it and trust it. It's had zero problems so it's my hero. Just wish it was a manual with a cd player and power windows, but its the base. Overall this is the best vehicle to have for a work car. I hope it stays this good for the next 50k since its got 50k on it now.

Fuel economy 32 mpg. Handling. Quicker than normal 4 cyl engine. Color blood red. Stability

None really. Just put cd players in every car! It's after 2000!

Focus Work Wagon
By Brent

2004 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it because my partner had 2 Foci and thought it a great car for the business. Big change from a BMW 7 series. What a great car, changed the springs right away to H&R Sport, major improvement in handling. Upgraded the sound with Boston Pro speakers. 17" custom rims and 50 series rubber. Full header and sport exhaust, throttle boy, intake make about 20 more ponies. Excellent changes and what a car now, handles and rides well, goes better and is fun to drive on trips. Now what we need is the European 5 cylinder, or 140 or best of all the Diesel Focus. Next improvement: Spax shocks and cross brace. Maybe a Jackson or Powerworks supercharger. :)

Utility of the wagon. Good all round design and reliability. Great in the snow. Cheap to run. It now handles the European version.

Diesel and 5 cylinder European option. European suspension options. Better headlights. Make the roof rack an option.

A Blast to Drive
By Captcomputer

2004 Ford Focus SVT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After doing my homework on this car I had to have one. The SVT is the most fun to drive for under $20k. For that little itch inside that we all have, it has that punch when you just want to shoot around a slowpoke in traffic. The ride is right on, not too stiff yet enough to throw it around a corner when in a hurry. Stereo is awesome for a compact car. Tire class is right up there. If you're asking for more then you're asking to much. Interior room is comfortable for such a small car. Even for backseat passengers it is capable of comfort. The sunroof and leather bolsters around cloth seats gives it a taste of luxury. Suspension is A+. There are affordable bolt-ons that make it even better. A+

6SPD tranny, 6 disc CD player w/subwoofer, sunroof, HID's, performance tires. grocery room. five passenger headrest. Color coded interior. A+ SVTOA membership and numbered build certificate. Tons of Focus owners web support. I can go on, but that's no fun for you. Go get you one. See for yourself.

Take-off is slow and hesitant. Gas mileage is a little low for a 2.0 liter non-boosted car. Short throw shifter is the #1 aftermarket bolt-on while an aftermarket air-intake is #2 with slight increase in HP/TQ for very little money. These are minor issues considering what this toy does at 5000RPM. :-)

Fun around town
By T.C.

2004 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 'cause I couldn't afford another economy car on the lot. I really do like it. I live in the big city and getting through traffic can be fun. The 2.3 is a definite plus. Quick and nice high end performance. Cornering is great also. My main drawback is the stiff suspension. I've had two back surgeries and the ride is quite bouncy. I'll try new shocks and tires, this car is worth the investment! The interior is very nice for us also. All within easy reach. I will admit though. This car is more fun to drive than comfortable. Would like to have both.

Great interior. Roomy, yet compact. Handling, performance and engine dynamics big plus. Love body style also. Nice to have a Blaupunkt stereo standard. Great sound!

Would like more comfortable ride, suspension. Even if takes from handling some. Also would like a light in the glove box. I've not seen a car without it until now. Kinda noisy on the road also.

Focus is junk
By Sharon Kemp

2004 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has mechanical problems.The front stablizer link went bad at 30,000 miles along with the wiper motor &cooling sensor.At 50,000 miles the doors would lock when the car was not running & would not let me back in,neither with the key or the remote.The gages would flip and wig out when it rained.The car would jump out of gear and down shift and the gear shift would not move out of gear.Loud knocking noise coming the front and re end.When I would take it to the Ford dealership they could never find any problems when they would drive it,but How could they hear anything when the AC would be on full blast and the radio on.They thought I was Crazy.So I bought a Toyota

Ford needs to Rebuild a reliable CAR.They need to take tips from Toyota and Honda.