Used 2012 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Vehicle is great, MyFord Touch is terrible
By g2a2k

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ford did a very good job in the design of the vehicle.
It is great to drive.
The part that is not great is the MyFord Touch.
I have had problems from the beginning.
The dealers have been nice, but have not been able to solve any of the problems I have face such as the navigation system never working and it often shutting down while driving causing me to have my vehicle in the shop at least once a month.
For this reason, and all the problems I have had with the My Ford Touch, I would not recommend purchasing a Ford with it since they can't seem to solve the problems with it.

The actual engineering design of the vehicle.

Get rid of MyFord Touch. System is not reliable and a waste of money.

Homerun with Explorer
By htown35

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer in December 2011.
I have the XLT Model with Leather, 20 in Rims, Power Liftgate and Dual Power Seats.
I love my new explorer.
Only 2 problems.... Recall for Engine Cooling at 5K and had to replace the brakes under warranty at 7K.
I currently have 10K miles on it.
I get a lot of compliments on my explorer.
I like the ride, styling and comfort.
I do not have MyFord Touch so I dont have any of those issues.
I think Ford did a good job overall.
First new Ford!!

Power liftgate Premium Sound System 20 in Chrome Rims Comfort Exterior Lighting at Nite - I like the courtesy lights on the mirrors when it's dark out and how the headlights stay on at nite.

To low to the ground for a crossover... I wish it was higher.

Explorer XLT - I love it
By htown35

2012 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I brought my 2012 Explorer XLT with leather interior, 20 in rims and power liftgate in Dec 2011.
The only issues I had was replacing the brakes (covered under warr) at 8,000 miles and a recall for engine cooling.
Currently I have 10,000 miles.
I like driving my Explorer. It gets a lot of attention with it's 20 in rims and dark exterior color.
I have gotten 25 MPG on the highway and about 18 in the city.
It always has enough power and all features work correctly... It's quiet and I feel very safe in it.

Power Liftgate SYNC System Upgraded Sound System Power Seats

I wish it was a lilltle higher - I know it's car based SUV but it's a lil to low for me.

Excieted at first but disappointed now
By g2a2k

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The ride is extremely smooth and quiet, especially on highway. The Interior is luxurious with upgraded seats.
Well engineered on this aspect.
With that said, I've had nothing but problems with MyFord Touch system and it has gotten worse lately.
It continually locks up and freezes the entire system to include climate control, entertainment, and telephone.
It soon after goes into a never ending loop of resetting that only works part of the time.
I have all but given up on using voice commands as the voice recognition in it is poor at best.
Despite getting the updates and having it at the dealer numerous times, the problems continue.

Smooth ride and nice interior.

Working MyFord Touch.

Very Pleased
By whereismyhair

2012 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am really happy with my Explorer.
I think it is a good looking vehicle, I get 23 mph even when the 4wd is on (I live in the UP of Michigan and use it in the snow), and I like how it drives.
The speed control with the auto slow down is great and it helped stop me when a car recently stopped suddenly in front of me on the highway.
I have towed with it, filled it with a very large light item and many smaller heavy items and still it drives fine.
I traded a F150 for it and don't regret doing it.

The interior seating and comfort. The hands free commands. I think we got a lot of car for the money. The radar for cars in the blind spot.

Something on the dashboard to let me know when the auto headlights are on.