Used 2008 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

MY LITTLE LEMON
By TBM

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

July of 2007 I purchased my 2nd Escape. I traded a 2005 model for the 2008 due to transmission problems. Upon purchase of the 2008 I've had a constant spark knocking that even occurs with an 89 and 93 octane along with more tranny problems to boot. With the purchase of my 2008 Escape came a 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty which covers the transmission and motor. After 40,000 miles I just had to shell out $850 from my pocket because the transmission cooler started leaking which Ford conveniently would not cover under the warranty saying it was not part of the drivetrain. My advice to anyone thinging about buying the Ford Escape, save your money. I will NEVER own another Ford.

Steering Wheel/Battery Problems
By RECYCLER333

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Took my 2008 escape to the dealer for problems before the 60,000 check-up. None were covered. It would cost $1,000 to fix. Steering wheel clunked - sounded like the tires were going to fall off, temp gauge didn't work, passenger airbag inconsistent, and most disappointing, the battery needs replaced and not covered - $220 outrageous charge to replace. Why would a battery go dead in under 2 years and not be covered. If I didn't come from a Ford family, I would not buy another Ford vehicle.

Looks good.

Better batteries and just build the vehicle better so it doesn't break down in such a short time. Wish it had more than 5 seats. Improve gas mileage.

Good so far
By A.B.

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

While I have had mine for only a week I can say I am in love with it.The reviews say it is slow 0-60,I say its not "race day",Acceleration suites me just fine.Other reviews state not enough power but those are the ones that bought it with a 4- cylinder..C'mon people,you dont buy this kind of vehicle with a 4-cylinder and expect the same power as a 6- cylinder..it wont happen.The sacrifice is the better mileage for less power.Personally,a 4-cylinder should stay where it belongs...in "sardine cans". Just one wish here,driver seat needs more/softer cushion for better comfort,But its not that bad.For those who want it to ride like a car,then buy a car,not an SUV. ~GO FORD~ A.B.

Love everything about this vehicle.

Little softer seating,not bad right now though.

Good For the money
By astromike

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am a tall guy that likes alot of head/leg room, as well as cargo room. During these recession times where fuel econemy is VERY important, I figured this is the closest SUV to a car as I will find, at an afforadable price. You will average about 22/24 mpg. (4 cylinder). Which I am OK with. The exterior body design has been given a more masculine truck like appearance which I like! For a tall guy (6'1) I have ample head room. Seats could be just a bit more comfy.

re-vamped body design, OK fuel econemy for an SUV.

A bit better on the fuel, more attractive interior, better padding on seats.

Love my Escape, but has issues!
By JLF

2008 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 08 Escape since June 07. On average it gets 20 MPG, which is suitable for me. Now, for the issues... first problem was at 24,000 miles, the tires needed to be replaced due to cupping noise despite the fact that I rotated them 3 times. Next, the water pump went at 27,000 miles. At 30,000 miles it was in the shop again for a transmission coolant leak. Also had to replace the black trim by the door windows, coating peels off. Other issues: seat fabric spots--like they've been spilled on a lot, but haven't!-looks nasty and old. Also, annoying rattle somewhere in back. I think that covers it!! Still, overall I love it! Lease is up in a year and I don't want to give it back!

It is really fun to drive, walks through tons of snow without flinching- cool intelligent 4WD-no buttons to push!.. has a great sound system, moon roof, etc. The exterior is very attractive! Love that it has an ipod jack. Sirius radio:)

Change the seat fabric, it stinks! Wish the headrests tilted forward more.