Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Issues turning on
By Jessica

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Z71 LT 4dr Double Cab SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

When I first purchased my truck, everything was doing well until the recall! I sent my truck for all the repairs and even the steering loss. In May of this year I started having problems with the A/C which the cold air won’t come out and bought a anti-freeze bottle to reboot that cold air. Then after having the steering loss repair it started having problems turning on my truck!!! First it came out with low battery and then StabiliTrak. So every time I turn on it has trouble to turn on. I called the dealership and they were like all your recalls are close and they cannot do nothing. They only thing they can do is to do a diagnostic test and see what is wrong with the truck. This is their fault for not the owners! We have a 1997 Chevy suburban that this works plus the A\C works on cold and heat!!! Plus we have another truck Tahoe 2010 still works with no damn issues!!

Now Have 110,000 miles on it
By mr. bunny rabbit

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The only problem I've had with my truck is the oil pump going out at 68,000 miles. Drove it on in to the dealership as instructed, they repaired it under warranty, and haven't had another problem with it. Nothing, not one item. I bought my 2010 LT Z71 with the same engine and never had a problem with it, either. I think perhaps some of the problems people have had with the fuel management system is their driving style. I run my truck hard, and generally work it hard. I usually trade my truck in at 100k, but I decided to keep this one a little longer. I've told many people it's the best truck I've ever owned, including a flawless Tundra. The LTZ package has everything you could ever want, and the truck has an amazing ride, even with 38 psi in the front tires and 35 in the rear. My best recorded 25 miles for mpg was 34. Changed the battery out and it reset my previous high to zero, so my latest high was 27. Keep in mind this is drafting 18wheelers and letting off the gas while going down hills, no cruise, and keeping the speed at 55. So, when I figure out just how high I can get the mpg, I start the running it hard again. I found that highway tires help the mpg a lot. The mud and snow tires I have on it now are marginal on mpg. The All Terrain tires were ok but not as good as the mud and snow tires. I take the truck to the hunting camp and it's barely functional on the deep holes because of the low front end, so I wish I'd bought an LTZ Z71 package, but they're hard to find and they have a lesser discount in our market. As for the V8 to V4 fuel management shift, it takes some getting used to. At first I didn't really know what was going on, but figured it out with time. It downshifts a little rough on occasion, a slight clunk, but no big deal, yet. Service: I've taken it to the dealer every time the oil has been changed, and things have been great there with them. Will I buy another one ? I'm not real sure at this point. Having a fairly deep loyalty to Chevy, my experience with Toyota has been acceptable, and the resale value is higher, but I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day, so the mpg factor comes into play. You just can't beat the 327 c.i. 5.3 liter setup on this truck with any other V8. It tows my tractor great, and has done pretty much everything I need it to do. And, it's made by an American company.
Update. Sold this truck after owning if for three years, after 137,000 miles and the one broken item, oil pump, got $23,000 for it. 7/15/18.

Engine failure at 77,000 miles
By Mary

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab Z71 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a High Country Truck. I loved my truck, some minor issues until now. My engine went out 3 weeks ago. I had to get it towed to a GM dealer to look at. The first place I went to was a local repair shop and he called me to tell me that the engine failed so we had to bring to GM dealership to have it fixed under warranty. He suggested a new engine! At 77,000 miles this should not happen. I change my oil every 5,000 miles, but because I do not always go to a Chevy dealer to have my oil changed they keep questioning me about it. Well the dealers take 2 hours to get an oil change done and many times I do not have that much time to wait for an oil change. So after 5 days sitting at the dealership, they had the engine guy that deals with the top of the engine look at it. He could not find anything, so then I had to wait another week to have the bottom engine guy to look at it. Turns out that my lifters went bad. So they replaced the lifter that was causing Cylinder 7 to misfire. They have a bulletin on this issue, but no recall. Really if you have a bulletin there are enough people having this issue. I happen to work with someone who has the same exact truck and the same thing happened to them. They replaced the left side active fuel lifters and the valve oil lifter along with the manifold, and gaskets. I have asked for an extended warranty on the engine because of this and GM will not do it. So that tells me that they do not have enough faith in their engines to warranty it in case this happens again. The manager this morning had the audacity to tell me that I do not change my oil enough because they only had so many done at the dealership. That not changing the oil enough causes this. This was my 3rd Chevy truck and probably my last due to their inability to give me confidence in their product. So now I am so worried that it will happen after warranty and I will have a huge repair bill.

Goodbye Chevy.
By Colt

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Where do I begin? I bought my 2014 Silverado Z71 brand new from Cavender. Paid about 42K. Started off ok. Then I had to take it back to the dealer for recall after recall after recall. Something like 12. I lost count. I did all my service at Gunn. When my truck was under warranty I was treated pretty well by the service dept. Unless you count the time they 'Couldn't duplicate' a squeaking bed or the exhaust that made a chirping noise when switching from 4 to 8 cylinders (and they told me, after replacing the entire exhaust system, that it would probably happen again and there was nothing they would do if it did). Oh but once my warranty was out, most service staff I dealt with treated me worse. Noticably. For instance, after 3 years 8 months and only 33K miles on my truck (mind you this was a couple months ago. The truck was very well taken care of) my a/c started only blowing hot air. In the middle of the summer. After looking online and seeing that THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE WITH THAT MODEL, I naturally took it back to Gunn for help. They said it could be the condenser or a hose. But, in order to FIND the problem, they had to run a dye through the system and charge the system. Which cost me $250. Again, this is a known issue for Chevy. The manager tells me that the condenser needs to be replaced. How much would that cost? $1300 more!!! I lost it. So I left. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a basically BRAND NEW TRUCK. Right after that, another recall. Turns out the steering wheel might lock up while I'm driving... So that was the nail in the coffin. My dad has the same truck but 2wd. My uncle, brother, and cousin all drive Chevy's. I defended Chevy when friends would make fun of all the issues. Not anymore. I gave you guys way more chances to make things right than I should have. So, in conclusion, I got rid of that piece of sh*t and put my hard earned money into a 2017 Ram. Good riddance, Chevy.

Recall queen
By Tom Fischer

Purchased new, less then 30,000 miles, garage kept, waxed way to much, outside and under the hood, inside the doors, 13 recalls. This is getting to be more trouble than it's worth. In the dealer right now for recall and the smell of antifreeze.