Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great Ride
By EMH

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander three months ago to replace a Honda Accord. Could not be more pleased. I now have over 4200 miles on the vehicle and MPG for around town driving averages 21.5. I recently took a 1500 mile road trip (mostly interstate) and got 27.65 mpg. Although I miss having cruise and radio/CD controls on the steering wheel and a trip mileage meter these are minor inconveniences. My Highlander handles extremely well and the 3.5L 6cyl flat out gets up and goes when you need a little extra power. A minor irritant is the rear hatch is difficult to handle without using both arms (hopefully I won't require shoulder replacement surgery). Excellent value all around.

Favorite Features

Overall style, comfort and roominess. Front seats were very comfortable for my wife and I on our recent road trip. I'm over 6' tall and enjoy the leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Power assisted rear hatch would be great.

Lovin' it
By mejohnson3

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride and noise comfort is outstanding for an SUV, close to our '08 Camry. It is extremely spacious for 4 adults and the third row seat is very functional. My gas mileage is averaging 21 MPG with little expressway driving. The AWD technology is superior, completely automatic, and provides a reassuring driving experience for all conditions. I have a boat that I tow and the V6 provides plenty of power and the brakes are fantastic. I'm very particular about my vehicles and I'm completely satisfied and would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Favorite Features

AWD, quiet and comfortable ride, spacious room, dash controls.

Suggested Improvements

So far I'm totally satisfied, I have no outstanding issues. The tow package is misleading being you need to purchase a wiring kit.

Excellent choice
By toycannon

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Gave back 05 pilot for the 08 highlander. Huge improvement in looks, ride comfort, shifter location, a/c, stereo, moonroof. Miss homelink and split 3rd row. Display gives you current mpg and different useful data as well as back up camera. Very quiet, steering feel is light.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, shifter with manual mode, upgraded stereo, 19 inch wheels, rear bucket seats when console is put in for middle seat. Aux jack for iPod.

Suggested Improvements

Homelink, 3rd row should be split, cell phone outlet inside console like Pilot, auto a/c complex.

Best of the Bunch
By ladydriver123

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought the Highlander Limited after a 4 month search of various SUVs. This car is awesome! Lots of space, optional captain's chairs in the backseat as well as heat & a/c, backup camera, keyless ignition, and so many more extras. The powerful engine and 270hp helps make the ride very smooth, and fast. The Blizzard Pearl color w/gray interior was hard to find, but so worth it. Car has more features than the Lexus RX 350, and Toyota reliability is a given. I looked at both luxury and mid-range SUVs, and the Highlander was absolutely the best of the bunch.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry & ignition, heated & cooled back seats, backup camera, steering wheel controls, lots of cupholders, spacious interior

Suggested Improvements

Memory seat for 2 drivers, telescoping steering wheel when entering and exiting the car

What a great SUV
By rtisme

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had to replace my Ford Explorer after a drunk driver took it out. Was going to downsize to a Rav-4 6 cylinder. Compared Highlander and was sold on it. For basically the same cost got much more. 2 row seating comes with many options, converts to bench type seating, can have a table in between the seats or converts to captain's seats. Kids love their seating area.

Favorite Features

2nd and 3rd row seating. Quiet and strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make alarm system standard.