Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

08 Highlander
By TBL

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the limited without the awd option; interior quality & comfort excellent; performance good; gas mileage has been averaging over 21 mpg in town - - more on the highway; so far I'm very satisfied; great value for the money; have owned Toyotas before and also have a 2006 Tacoma; have found them to be very reliable.

Comfort and quiteness of ride; relatively good gas mileage for an SUV; good cargo room and very easy ingress and egress.

Get rid of the orange letters and numbers on the radio and clock which are very hard to see during the day and impossible to see while wearing sunglasses; go to bright white.

Love it!
By tina

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I traded in our '03 Accord to get the Highlander. I'm so happy with the decision because it is so roomy but drives like a car. We spoiled ourselves and got the car fully loaded... love it! We live in San Diego but bought the car in Orange County, the one hour and half drive was worth it...the gas barely went down.

Navigation, heated seats, sun/moonroof, aux for my iPod, the color... pearl blizzard white, backup camera, 3rd row seating, and smart key.

none.

SUV Great Electronics NOT
By Western Michigan

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Switched to Highlander from Lexus RX 330. Pleased with the design and drivability - comfort is excellent as I am 6 ft, 3 in. Very much like the smart key system and the functionality. Very displeased with the electronics. Satellite radio requires a very expensive and labor intensive installation - I obviously didn't read carefully enough or I would have likely purchased a different vehicle. In order to install satellite radio the dealer indicates that the headliner has to be removed - even a seat removed. WHAT WAS TOYOTA THINKING? The GPS mapping system lacks detail - I live in a city of 40,000 and most of the side streets aren't noted. GPS service on my cell phone is more detailed.

Interior and exterior design and comfort.

Offer an option with satellite radio installed (factory installed - not dealer installed). Other manufacturers do - Toyota is way behind the curve on this one.

Excellent family SUV
By Wayne

2008 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased new Highlander Limited AWD about a month ago, primarily for my wife. Interior is comfortable and well designed. Lots of bells and whistles including a great nav system, and JBL sound. Plenty of power, and responsive steering and brakes. Fun to drive, and looking forward to our first long trip. No problems so far. Primarily in town driving so far, and averaging abou 18.4 mpg. Appears to be an excellent family SUV.

JBL sound system and nav. Simple but distinguished exterior and interior design and appearance. Power tailgate.

Third row still a little tight, but probably as good as it can be without making the vehicle longer, and one of the things we wanted was a vehicle under 190" long.

Great Ride
By EMH

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander three months ago to replace a Honda Accord. Could not be more pleased. I now have over 4200 miles on the vehicle and MPG for around town driving averages 21.5. I recently took a 1500 mile road trip (mostly interstate) and got 27.65 mpg. Although I miss having cruise and radio/CD controls on the steering wheel and a trip mileage meter these are minor inconveniences. My Highlander handles extremely well and the 3.5L 6cyl flat out gets up and goes when you need a little extra power. A minor irritant is the rear hatch is difficult to handle without using both arms (hopefully I won't require shoulder replacement surgery). Excellent value all around.

Overall style, comfort and roominess. Front seats were very comfortable for my wife and I on our recent road trip. I'm over 6' tall and enjoy the leg room.

Power assisted rear hatch would be great.