2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Highlander - perfect reliability 5 years
By Dave - Kansas city on 03/09/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Highlander brand new, and it has performed absolutely perfectly for 5+ years. I replaced a headlight last year, otherwise perfect. Very comfortable to drive, quiet on the highway, zero build defects, the V6 is adequate if not a neck-snapper, but with very good fuel economy (27 on the highway, 21 around town). The styling is a bit bland, but as an engineer I appreciate how well it is built. I have owned several Hondas and Toyotas, and both have been exteremly good. But when I replace this Highlander, I certainly drive a new Highlander first.

Love the ride
By Ragsny on 03/05/10 10:33 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for almost 3 yrs and i love it. i have 3 small kids and a dog and we often drive down to myrtle beach and it holds all of us with no problem. My wife has a town and country mini van and she likes the way the highlander drives better. it has plenty of power and it gets pretty good gas mileage and is very good in the snow.

Heater Woes
By jojodamonkeyboy on 02/16/10 17:18 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Temperature control stopped working. I contacted parts department at local dealership. Knob was 'okay' but told unit was faulty and would cost $825 to replace (not including dealer costs). Found a website that discussed same problem with Highlanders and Tacomas. Friend & I removed heater/air- conditioner unit. There are three welds for temperature on left side and system control on right. Two of the three welds on the temp gauge had broken. Rest of unit is made up of electronics and circuit boards. My friend has worked on RC vehicles and was able to take care of re-welding parts. Now works almost good as new & I saved lots of bucks. I'm not happy that Toyota hasn't id'ed problem

Disappointed in Toyota
By dmac on 12/21/09 18:32 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The shifts between 1st and 2nd (up and down)are annoying. Daughters driving it will get carsick. Saw this in other reviews. Poor factory install on gaskets caused oil leaks. Lower weather strip on driver side is detaching. Steering is loose and makes it feel like some problem with front end.

VERY Good
By Jenny on 11/13/09 18:49 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my SUV in 2005. It has no problem at all. I read other consumer's comments about tires. My SUV did not replace tires until 56k miles. Right now it's 99k and haven't replaced 2nd tires yet. The condition is very good. Interior is very comfortable and spacious. I really love it so much.

Very Pleased
By cpaman on 10/29/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV used with 40,000 miles. I just returned from a 3500 mile trip through the Rockies and was very pleased with the performance in the mountains. So far, I have had no mechanical problems.

Paint chiping off
By Mike on 10/22/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The paint on the drivers side mirror is not only chipping away but you can actually see it bubbling. The car has less than 50K miles on it but the dealer will not repair or replace the mirror. I also have a 2000 Honda Accord 6 cyc. I looks and drives like it's brand new. And is has 111K miles on it with no major work whatsoever. Bottom line, stay away from Toyota. You will never go wrong with a Honda.

Decent, solid, reliable Toyota
By James on 06/27/09 06:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 4.5 years and have had no issues. Transmission shifting from 3rd to 4th is a bit "herky jerky" at times but the overall ride is extremely smooth. Plan on buying another one in 2-3 years. A solid buy.

Confidence
By handymanron on 04/25/09 23:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Having my driver's license since the 1960's, I grew up with 'The Big Three', and I always liked American made cars. But when the American automakers don't or won't give you a gas sipper when you ask for it, you look elsewhere. Since 2003 I have bought two new Toyotas and this, almost one year old with only 15,000 miles. I couldn't be happier. Following recommended maintenance schedules, I've not had one necessary repair or return to the dealership or local mechanic. They're well built so you can embark on any trip with a comforting sense of confidence that you'll reach your destination without a mechanical failure.

Quality and Customer Service Failing
By SUV Woes on 03/24/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Highlander new and I have been disappointed in the quality and customer service since that day. The SUV had rail dust that required several treatments but still exists. My front differential began leaking at 42,000 miles and it was repaired. But at 65,000 miles it is leaking again. Told cost to repair is 1,900 and no break from the dealership or the corp. Factory tires had to be replaced too soon and the rear rotors as well because Toyota installs cheap ones now. I've learned to stay away from Toyota and always buy the extended warranties.