Used 2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

All is well except the paint!
By roset1

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We own a 2005 Highlander Limited which has become the 'family pony'. Overall, we have been very happy with it except: Since day one, there was a pencil eraser size 'bubble' spot on both side mirrors. The bubble grew like a blister and eventually it popped. Come to find out, the mirrors were NEVER primed prior to painting. I brought it up to the dealer's attention while still a dime size blister and still under warranty, they did nothing about it. Now, 6 years later, my mirrors have peeled. Toyota assumes no responsibility. Word of caution: inspect your vehicle and look for even the smallest flaw in the paint. Point it out and have them fix it prior to buying. It will save you $$ and grief.

Favorite Features

Seems like we are never out of room!. We have the 3rd row sitting and although small and sometimes tight, we are able to sit 7 (no room to spare). It's a great feature to have.

Suggested Improvements

Rear air conditioner vents, cup holders for driver and passenger.

In love after all these years.
By shasta4

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

135K miles. Bought 8/04. Most options, 3rd row. V6, 3.3, AWD. I've had big 3, BMW (3), Volvo (2), Jag V12 sedan, Audi and this is the best of them all in terms of overall satisfaction. I can find small design grips like the vague sunroof switch, tight 3 row seat, but very little problems and outstanding reliability. Orig. Bridgestones 50K. Rear brakes 60K. Front brakes 130K ! All lamps except highs original. High beams 120K. Tow a 2,000 lb travel trailer cross 3,000 miles averaging 20.5mpg. Mileage town 18, highway 23. No leaks, amazing tranny, great power, tows trailer beautifully (after easy lift). One problem. At 50K rear bushing worn. Probably do to trailer towing.

Favorite Features

Paint finish near perfect even though in CA sun, never in garage. Transmission is amazing. Some hunting for gear when applying then letting off of power. But less hunting than any other car I have driven. Winter package with wiper and defrost works well and was very inexpensive. AWD is amazing. Lived in Ohio and No. CA and traction is beyond belief with standard tires. Never stuck. Have plowed thru 6-8". Traction system is smarter than any driver. When in trouble just stand on the gas and the computer starts chirping, the power level adjusts, the car climbs out of trouble, amazing. Better then friends Jeep in anything other than off road. Cannot get the thing to squirrel around.

Suggested Improvements

Rear bushing assembly that carries the wheel seems to be weak. Both have failed. One at replaced at 50K the other at 90K, but not replaced, just rattles on very rough roads. Should be tougher. I suspects this is the result of towing with a too heavy tongue weight. 50K bushing replacement fine after 80K more miles, so I thing the easy lift hitch took the strain off the rear. Otherwise the handing is near BMW standard. I have felt the tire noise is too great for a quality car. The orig. Bridgestones OK but Michellins are noisy, although I get about 50K miles. Wish front passenger seat was lower or adjusted like power driver's. I am tall with bad back so I always use comfy drivers.

Highlander Bad
By DK

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car based on Consumer Reports ratings. So far, the temp thermostat had to be replaced, I also had a wheel bearing replaced, and now I am told that a sequential humming is probably the differential - very costly. The car is herky-jerky and the interior leather looks more like vinyl. This is my last Toyota. DK

Favorite Features

This car is way over rated.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to step up its quality.

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L
By WarrenG

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new in 2005 and now have 65k trouble-free miles on it. After 3 Explorers, it has been very nice not to have to meet on a regular basis with the service writer for a change. 4-cyl is strong enough and gives 20 mpg around town, 25 hwy. Only problem was with original Toyo tires - at 29k they looked great but couldn't keep the vehicle on the road in FL summer rains. New Michelin LTs solved that problem. Only costs have been oil changes, filter changes, and a new battery. Very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Design and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Nix the original Toyo tires.

Reliability Problems
By Jim

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new; since then 3 windshields, 3 sets of rear and 2 sets of front brakes, 3 transmission transfer cases, and both sets of rear wheel bearings. Everything except the engine seems to be under specified. The Toyota dealer tells me to sell it as it was made on 'Monday'! My '97 Avalon required only $40 worth of unscheduled maintenance at 130K miles. What's happened to Toyota quality?