2005 Toyota Highlander SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Best family car ever owned!
By blakecman on 03/16/14 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Toyota Highlander is great, it is easy to get 25 miles to the gallon, and it is more socially appropriate considering my kid is going to high school compared to any minivan. Has over 100,000 miles on the odo and has the same comfort as my family friends' Lexus RX! Personally am going to buy the newer hybrid version due to huge numbr of miles on car.

Age is only a number
By luvtoyota10 on 01/09/14 09:15 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe this car is 9 years old! It drives as if it was brand new. This is my grandmother's vehicle and it only has 76k miles on it. It handles so nice compared to my 2013 Toyota Highlander. It has hydraulic power steering, not electric, so it has good steering feel with a decent weight. It also corners spectacularly due to it's lower ride height. The V6 is just fine for the size. The interior could be roomier. I'm over 6' so the front seat is a little cramped. But, it has great cargo versatility, came in handy when I moved. I couldn't lower all of my 2013's seats due to a seat lever malfunction that I'm getting fixed. This Highlander, is an amazing car. Had it for 6 years.

Value for Money
By amithw on 10/04/13 23:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have 169K miles on my toyota. Still rounds great. Only change oil and filters, belts. I get 21city and 24hwy MPG. Great car very reliable. Use good tires and the ride is even smoother. Only defect I see is some clanking noise coming from front suspension. No mechanic could fix it. So I drive with it,

8+ years and 111,000 miles and keeps on going
By dreamer123890 on 04/22/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I just love my 2005 Highlander. So much so that we cant seem to find a reason to replace it. I bought it used in 2006 with 20k miles and have added 90k+ miles. Getting an average of 25 on highway and about 20 in the city for a v6 is terrific. I have so many memories in this car - we have done lots of roadtrips. Besides the standard 90k maintenance to replace the belts, pump etc. and regular 5k mile maintenance, i have had 1 issue - the fuel cap needed replacing at 108k miles. I guess we will wait another 2 years and then replace it around 150k with either a Lexus Rx or another highlander!

Faithful,Reliable, and Powerful
By luvtoyota10 on 10/14/11 12:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This highlander is my grandmother's i own a toyota venza she got this car before I got my venza, that was when I had a 2000 Toyota 4runner and This car was perfect for her. It has a nice ride, I loved the sterring feel, and it is roomy. I drove this car down to Indianapolis and it was great only thing wrong was the wind noise. Overall, This is a fine Crossover.

All is well except the paint!
By roset1 on 08/02/11 07:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We own a 2005 Highlander Limited which has become the 'family pony'. Overall, we have been very happy with it except: Since day one, there was a pencil eraser size 'bubble' spot on both side mirrors. The bubble grew like a blister and eventually it popped. Come to find out, the mirrors were NEVER primed prior to painting. I brought it up to the dealer's attention while still a dime size blister and still under warranty, they did nothing about it. Now, 6 years later, my mirrors have peeled. Toyota assumes no responsibility. Word of caution: inspect your vehicle and look for even the smallest flaw in the paint. Point it out and have them fix it prior to buying. It will save you $$ and grief.

In love after all these years.
By shasta4 on 02/13/11 20:31 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

135K miles. Bought 8/04. Most options, 3rd row. V6, 3.3, AWD. I've had big 3, BMW (3), Volvo (2), Jag V12 sedan, Audi and this is the best of them all in terms of overall satisfaction. I can find small design grips like the vague sunroof switch, tight 3 row seat, but very little problems and outstanding reliability. Orig. Bridgestones 50K. Rear brakes 60K. Front brakes 130K ! All lamps except highs original. High beams 120K. Tow a 2,000 lb travel trailer cross 3,000 miles averaging 20.5mpg. Mileage town 18, highway 23. No leaks, amazing tranny, great power, tows trailer beautifully (after easy lift). One problem. At 50K rear bushing worn. Probably do to trailer towing.

Highlander Bad
By DK on 07/29/10 14:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car based on Consumer Reports ratings. So far, the temp thermostat had to be replaced, I also had a wheel bearing replaced, and now I am told that a sequential humming is probably the differential - very costly. The car is herky-jerky and the interior leather looks more like vinyl. This is my last Toyota. DK

2005 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L
By WarrenG on 04/07/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new in 2005 and now have 65k trouble-free miles on it. After 3 Explorers, it has been very nice not to have to meet on a regular basis with the service writer for a change. 4-cyl is strong enough and gives 20 mpg around town, 25 hwy. Only problem was with original Toyo tires - at 29k they looked great but couldn't keep the vehicle on the road in FL summer rains. New Michelin LTs solved that problem. Only costs have been oil changes, filter changes, and a new battery. Very satisfied.

Reliability Problems
By Jim on 03/10/10 08:41 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new; since then 3 windshields, 3 sets of rear and 2 sets of front brakes, 3 transmission transfer cases, and both sets of rear wheel bearings. Everything except the engine seems to be under specified. The Toyota dealer tells me to sell it as it was made on 'Monday'! My '97 Avalon required only $40 worth of unscheduled maintenance at 130K miles. What's happened to Toyota quality?