Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

An SUV I can live with
By ChuckHawley

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Please understand that I really hate SUVs, but my family needed a car that could hold 6-7. I have always thought that the Highlander was the best looking small SUV, but I didn't realize that it had a third seat that would allow it to hold our family. We sold our Eurovan and bought a dealer demo, and I think it's the best car I have ever owned. At 25K miles, it's tight, quiet, comfortable, and everything that I could ask for in a family car. We happened to buy the loaded model, although I would have been happy with any combination as long as it had the third row. We have had it off-road once in Tahoe, and it handled a very rutted, rocky climb with ease. Highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Overall size (small) compared to the interior room (generous). Great gas mileage compared to full size SUVs. Car-like handling. Toyota Quality. Driver ergonomics (shift, turn stalk, cruise control, etc. all excellent)

Suggested Improvements

Pretty high wind noise on freeway. Lack of space behind 3rd seat with it in use. Gets dirty pretty quickl with soft interior surfaces. Not economical in town driving.

Simply The Best
By Peggy

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I did extensive research before buying my first SUV, and have not been disappointed in my selection. My Highlander has been extremely reliable, not one problem in almost 2 years and 42,000 miles. It's comfortable, roomy, drives like a car, and gets good gas mileage. I was worried about having sufficient power with the 4-cylinder engine, but it definitely delivers the power when needed. I can't imagine owning any other car - except maybe a Highlander Hybrid. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who is looking for the best value & ride for their money.

Favorite Features

Front-seat armrests, reclining rear seats, headroom and legroom, big cargo area, comfortable ride, reliability. Good placement of the radio & a/c controls. Kids like the back-seat fold-down armrest, and all the cupholders.

Suggested Improvements

It could use a quieter ride - a bit noisy on the highway. Better tires have helped. No other complaints whatsoever. It's great as is.

Love this SUV! No Regrets!
By Mwilson

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I love this SUV! I really did my research when deciding on what to buy. Pricing and reliabilty were big factors in my decision making. I was torn between the Honda Pilot or the Highlander, I'm glad I chose the Highlander. I've owned it for almost two years, and the only thing I would change is the rear window noise, EXTREMELY disturbing. I live in Chicago, and trust me winter driving can be a challenge, but this vehicle handled are winter storms w/no problems. You won't regret it.

Favorite Features

comfortable (adjustable) seats great pick up on the x-way overall body style sunglass holder

Suggested Improvements

rear window noise

Review of 04 Highander V6 LTD
By Bill Burleson

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle for fairly short times, gets uncomfortable on long (4 hrs or more) trips. I am 72 years old and this may not be a problem for a younger driver. Easy to park and maneuver, good visibility for driver.

Favorite Features

accelerates quickly, handles well, and is fun to drive.

It's okay
By sam

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It's been an ok ride. Vehicle looks good but I have been very disappointed in the gas mileage. I'm not even getting 20 on the highway. It gets hard to drive on a long trip (which I do a lot of) uncomfortable seats (you'll feel everything and the passenger seat does not adjust, just goes back). I get knocked around by passing trucks because it's so light. You really have to hold on tight on the highway and that makes for a weary ride!The wind noise is also more evident on the highway as well. The transmission is sluggish and seems to hesitate now at 30,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Re-sale value is high on Toyota products. Field of vision is better than other SUV's in it's class.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage (which I assume will happen in the hybrid due out this year)