Used 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
By Dave M

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This SUV is a pleasure to drive. It's has a competent ride, looks great, and comfortably seats 4 adults. The 4 cylinder has plenty of spunk and is very quiet at crusing speed. (On the highway, engine noise is quite pronounced in my 4 cylinder Honda.)

Favorite Features

Adequate legroom and headroom for someone who is 6'-3". Seats are firm yet comfortable and the controls are well-placed and intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

The back-up lights are the dimmest I've had on any vehicle and could be much brighter.

Love it
By Dnoe

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

In the whole SUV I have only a few complaints. Still a very nice rig and we love it. We have no regrets buying a highlander rather than a Honda Pilot. Here are our only complaints. 1.The sunroof needs an indicator to show when it is closed. You have to use wind noise to be sure its closed all the way; not easy if you are parked. 2. The driver/front seat cupholder is poorly designed. When you put a drink in the holder a hard springloaded lip holds it in place. The first time I put a soda can in the holder, the lip grabbed the can and soda splashed all over. A piece of rubber would be better than the rigid lip.

Favorite Features

We love the 3rd row seat when the kids have friends visit. I love the 6-disc in-dash CD player, nice. Sounds great. Nice smooth ride. Nice dash controls. I like Toyota's color keyed running boards. Honda's boards are cheezy looking.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust pipe is in the way of the trailer hitch. The hitches have to bend around the tailpipe causing the hitch to look funny. It would look better to reroute the exhaust and have a straight hitch.

Drive like a car
By Shawn Tay

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Fwd 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It has been 3 weeks since I owned it. Like it like it like it! Pervously owned a Collora with 200,000 miles on it. One of the reason why I went back to choose a Toyota again (traded in). Since it is Camry based SUV, it really drive like a car. I chose 4x2 because it came with VSC (vehicle Stability Control) and snow traction control. Great for people who do not do much off- road driving.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, smooth, quiet, 5- speed automatic, carry 7 people when needed.... need to say more?

Suggested Improvements

Side air-bag as standard. Sun roof switches (difficult to tell it is open or closed).

We had our Highlander for a month.
By correctthought

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I have had this SUV for a little over a month and are very happy with it. The 4 cylinder engine does not feel underpowered and should be fine for almost all circumstances. It does not strain to pass cars on the highway. So far it handles well in the rain, has more than enough room for lugging things around and the vsc/abs are very good. The view from the cabin is great with no blind spots. I would highly recomend this SUV to anyone. Don't open the rear windows only, it produces a helicopter noise effect that can be shocking and LOUD! Bottom line, I can't wait to drive it again.

Favorite Features

Very smooth, quiet ride, folding mirrors, abs/awd/vsc, nice layout of cabin, foldable rear seats, fuse box in engine compartment, and solid feel of the construction.

Suggested Improvements

Call it an AWD not 4WD since it's all wheel drive not 4WD. Improve the fuel economy slightly, I'm only getting about 22 mpg on a 4 cyl, while good for someting this size, it can improve. Fix the rear windows open only noise.

Terrible
By Steve Mack

2004 Toyota Highlander SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been a huge dissapointment.I highly suggest the 4 runner.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Everything needs to be rethought.