2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:
Nice to look at, boring to drive
By t2miller on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The quality of the vehicle itself is excellent, but the Toyota side step bars have rusted and been replaced 2 times already. Beware of dealerships trying to sell you 'extra' services also. During servicing (20k miles) it was 'recommended' that coolant be flushed(insisting it was not 'long- life' coolant), perform a brake service AND balance. I declined all of these services and for good reason - I will contact Toyota to express my concerns that a $60 service would have topped $300 after taxes. So why buy a Toyota for reliablity and longetivity if you are paying the cost? Consider Honda if you wish to have the complete 'Japanese' experience.

Great Car
By tonto on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best Car ever great car perfect!!!

Great SUV
By Lou M on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Terrific...Definetely a must buy.

Love this car
By ontrack on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned many vehicles but the Highlander is by far my favorite. It is easy and fun to drive and very comfortable. The back door makes loading easy and the back seats fold without a problem. For a smallish car it has plenty of room. I transported a sofa home in it! The engine is quiet and even with the 4 cylinder engine there is plenty of power. Cruise control is excellent and easy to use. I really love this car.

Brakes are too soft
By silverbox on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am still trying to figure out why the brakes are so soft... This is not an offroad vehicle that needs this type of feature. Am I the only one with this problem b/c the dealer will hear about this. I do feel safe stopping at a light with the possibility that i may hit the car in front unless i stop much further back than a reasonable distance...

HIGHLANDER IS FUN
By CRumRI on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 2 Avalons - traded one for a Chrysler Town/Country and that was the most expensive piece of junk we ever bought. Toyota quality far superior. Instrument panels, center console, etc. all good placement. Really a fun vehicle with PLENTY of power, GREAT gas mileage for a SUV and easy load/unloading.

Great SUV
By theparsons on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drove my son-in-laws 300RX Lexus for 6 months. That was a mistake. I was out of the USA for 18 months and often reviewed SUV's on the internet. Within 24 hours of returning to my home I was driving a 2003 Highlander. It's a great vehicle, solid, fun to drive and comfortable. Gas mileage as been 22 mpg in city.

I'm Impressed!
By jcg4realcars on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We are very happy with our Highlander. It has met all my expectations and more. We wanted a SUV, but not a "Big Brother" type as we are not "Bubba's". My wife has had back surgery, so it is not easy for her to get in or out of the standard SUV. This one does! Try It! The interior comfort is high on our list. It's quiet and roomy! Way to go Toyota!

A Good Choice
By Jochebed on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Toyota Higlander after test driving the Honda CRV, the Toyota RAV 4, the Mazda Tribute, and the Toyota Matrix. The Highlander had car like handling, ample cargo space, and excellent gas mileage. I opted for the 4 cylinder to take advantage of the excellent gas mileage it offered. While the car is not overly peppy, it is very adequate for my needs. Performance fans should opt for the 6 cylinder. I also opted for the running boards, which are lighted and leather seats, which I love. I've had this car for 10 months now and the more I drive it, the better I like it!

Toyota Highland
By toyota devotee on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car...very reliable, comfortable and like sitting higher on the highway. Fuel economy okay....alot better than friend's V6 Ford Explorer.....20.8 mpg vs. 17.8.