Used 2003 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Toyota doesn't disappoint.
By Brklyndriver

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first SUV. Before it, I owned a 2000 nissan quest. I'm trully in love with this vehicle. The suspension is so soft when going over the pothole filled roads of New York streets. It has a decent amount of power and more trunk space then I can ask for. After I let some friends drive it they fell in love with it as well and bought their own. Now there's 3 of us :)

Favorite Features

Sound system, back seat room, heat on only the feet option, power, large mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power on the low end wouldn't hurt.

Convinced
By DLD/IA

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

A test drive convinced me. This vehicle does everything, very powerfully and very comfortably. FWD gets me through the Iowa snowstorms without the expense of 4WD. It is economical and not overly huge-easy to manuever and park. It has the best of the midsize car and the suv combined.

Favorite Features

Heated mirrors, power sunroof, cargo cover.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see cruise control on steering wheel; really hate it in current location; would like to see radio controls on steering wheel; don't like the cup holders-both sizes and locations.

Very good vehicle
By Rick

2003 Toyota Highlander Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Highlander is not very exiting to drive but a very good all around vehicle. It has a smooth ride and is fairly quiet. We average 21-23 MPG. It has been rock solid without a single problem in 47K miles. I agree with the person who wrote in about the wind noise with the back windows down. It really hurts my ears. There is plenty of room for passengers, but at the sacrifice of a little more cargo room. I like that you can step right into it without stepping up or dropping down. Drove it from CT to FL and I wish the front seat was a little more comfortable. Once complaint is that it seems to require constant corrections to keep driving straight on the highway (alignment is fine).

Favorite Features

Tons of storage space, smooth car-like ride, reliability, decent gas mileage, perfect step in height, reclining back seats, plenty of head room (Im 6 2).

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, better base stereo and speakers (very flat sounding), glass in the hatch opens separately.

Love It!
By J Kelley

2003 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drove a Lexus RX300 previously (company car) but was unwilling to pay the Lexus price when it came time to buy. This car is built on the same platform. It rides and handles like a car, not a truck. The only thing missing when compared to the Lexus is the "luxury" look of the interior. I have only two minor complaints with the vehicle: 1. the lifters (fuel injectors) make noise which is not noticeable when driving/idling unless it is completely quiet in the car (no talking, music, etc.) It is not noticeable to most people but was not present til after break-in period; 2. the paint on bumper & hood chips easily from normal road dirt.

Favorite Features

Front seats very comfortable. Controls easy to reach. Quiet ride. Surefooted in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Driver should be able to operate power windows when window lock is on. Middle rear seatbelt doesn't lock (i.e., for carseat).

AWESOME CAR
By Toyotarawesome

2003 Toyota Highlander Limited Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wow. its been 3 years now and the Highlander is purely flawless. Amazing engineering and design. It's amazing how reliable this car has been. The car is very well designted and cup holders galore! The only thing I would want on my Highlander is a navigation system, which they have for the 2005 model year now. :) I love Toyota!

Favorite Features

Design, interior, leather, CD Changer, performance, wheels, the moonroof/sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

The Goodyear tires they had as a standard tire only lasted until 24,000 miles. very disappointing.