2010 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Awesome
By darb1brad on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2003 4Runner Limited V8 that I totaled in June '10. Wasn't really interested in another 4Runner at first. 4th Gen was too cramped on the interior, always felt too narrow in the driver's seat, but it was admittedly a GREAT truck. Had my mind changed because: 1) NO injuries in the wreck to me or my daughter; and 2) It was 7 years old with 115k miles, and I got 60% of my original purchase price from insurance when it was totaled. New 4Runner, here I come! The Trail is AWESOME. Feels bigger in the interior. Styling is much more masculine than the 4th Gen. Figured out how to turn off economy mode, and throttle response/shift pattern is MUCH better.

4-runner
By mike on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice sized 4-wheeler with Toyota reliability. Excellent turning radius with good steering feel. Would be nice if the 5.7 v-8 from the Tundra was an option- could use a little more torque going up steep hills. Seems like the Bean Counters took over the final design of the latest 4-runner.

Great off the road
By Last Dollar on 08/21/10 14:06 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just got back from a month in the Colorado Rockies. Had the vehicle over 13,000 ft and it was still looking for trees to climb. Best 4WD I've ever had. Great size to get through narrow, one way passes. Short wheel base & turning radius make switch backs a breeze. One of the smoothest riding vehicles I've ever had on the highway.

Suburban Hauler
By David on 07/27/10 13:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving Ford explorers for over 10 years, I purchased the 4runner 3 months ago. Likes: -dealer experience -build quality (except doors tinny when shut hard) -big buttons -gas mileage really 17 city/ 23 freeway -practical, not luxurious -rides well on rough dirt roads, as well as smooth pavement -quiet cabin -quiet engine (like a sewing machine) -satellite radio, usb port, -not a minivan -power rear window (excellent ventilation when combined with sunroof) -rear seats fold down flat dislikes: -way too high off the ground and no running boards -orange dials very difficult to read in bright sunlight -too much hard plastic -needs optional cargo cover

Worst Seats
By Ted on 06/09/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had 2008 Limited V8,4WD sold and bought 2010 Trail with all the options. First, the seats are like bench seats of churches, so hard. Only a few minutes ride, even my friends complained how hard and uncomfortable they were. I bought many cushions to relieve the hardness, but no solutions. I tried to voice out this problem both to dealership and Toyota HQ. After 3 months, customer service of Toyota wrote to me that could not do anything and sorry for dissatisfaction in advance. No wonder Toyota is losing faithful customers like us. We bought 5 Toyotas including Lexus LX470, all new. I will not buy another Toyota ever again. The new V6 is no match for previous V8, with no MPG advantage.

Decent Car
By Bob Whalen on 05/17/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you want to go off road, this vehicle will do decent. It's not nearly as good as a wrangler though. It would be better but no front or middle differentials.

This is a Toyota?
By Russ Blondeck on 05/17/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car should definitely revive Toyota's declining reputation for sure. I have never owned a better vehicle. It works simple marvels off road, but its still more then comfortable in the city. It blows my wife's g-class out the water. More comfortable both on the beaten path and off-road. I got it lifted, added a bullbar, kc lights, rear Bush guards, and a snorkel, but it still handles like my previous 3 series. The real shocker is though how good it does water fording. I was driving through a lake once that my-off road club goes in often but I ran into a deep spot that we didnt know about. It completely submerged, with just the snorkel sticking out. It was stuck for over 3 seconds but still drove out!

Best Off Roader in the world
By Hofgee Rofgee on 04/15/10 15:22 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a one of a kind machines. It works wonders off road but is still very comfortable on the pavement.

Solid Performer
By Mooney Captain on 03/16/10 16:04 PM (PDT)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had an FJ cruiser with an expired lease term so I traded it in for the 4Runner. It feels solid; the ride quality is definitely truck-like, which is exactly what I wanted. It feels solid all around. Great exterior styling. Inside styling, I was not too keen on but it is growing on me as I drive it more. Off road, this truck is amazing; it begs to be driven off the beaten path. I owned a 3rd. gen. 4Runner and then bailed out when the design became a little too elegant and suburban on the 4th generation. This one captures the truck heritage and the ruggedness of the 2nd and 3rd generation 4Runners. I am glad they stuck with the body-on- frame formula. Very happy so far.

Not that sure yet.....
By mark on 03/10/10 17:04 PM (PST)

2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the Trail model in mid January, actually came down to the 4Runner vs a Lexus RX...not your typical comparison. After trading in a 2002 Pathfinder, i figured i would stay with the "truck look". However, although the body look and style is really nice. It's a bit bigger than i thought, (or would have liked). At about 3000 miles now, I cannot even reach 17 mpg, doing about 50% highway,, thought it would be better. The BIGGER concern is today, after braking coming up to a red light, i had a sudden surge of acceleration. This was not imagined, it was VERY REAL. While i was braking, the car had a sudden surge of power. It did stop right away after that so i am going to contact Toyota.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Toyota 4Runner in VA is:

$117 per month*