Used 2003 Subaru Outback VDC Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Can't You Hear Me Knocking..
By USMercury

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First thing I noticed was the knocking of the engine, which they say is typical due to engine design. The knocking was unbearable, which they ultimately fixed. Knocking started to come back, but I just sold it, so it will be taken care of next by someone other than me. As with most reviews, lots of wind noise. The wind noise is to the point where you have to turn the radio up. I went from a 6 cyl to this 4 cyl to save on gas, but to tell you the truth, it got awful gas mileage. Came with a broken 6 CD changer. Minimal acceleration in this vehicle. Started making another noise, like a rattle or shaking sound. But, itís gone, so fortunately not my problem now.

Lots of room. With seats down, this wagon has the room of a typical SUV. Powered and heated seats, a nice bonus. Interior wood finish had a nice look.

Fix wind noise. Add some more power outlets for cell phone, mp3 player, etc.

Subaru Stalls
By John Sauer

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Almost from the day I took my Subaru home I have had problems. The car has poor and erratic idle, loses power while driving and stalls. Subaru (several dealerships) has attempted repairs, replacing MANY parts, over the three years I have had this car. Each time the problems resurface. Low idle, power loss, stalling at stops. I am past my 36,000 warranty and Subaru has committed to honor the warranty for existing problems, but that is little consolation as I have to continue living with a $32,000 car that I do not trust. On more than one occasion I was almost stranded on long trips with wife and baby.

Dual sun roof is nice.

Performance from the H6 engine is not what is should be. The loss of power and stalling is frustration beyond words.

Montana
By valken

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great handling, good ride. I like everything about it except that it seems it sometimes takes too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I like the look and how well it handles. Plus, the 6-CD changer is great.

It emitted a funny smell when it was turned off for the first 1,000 miles.

VDC wagon - underestimated sleeper
By willoc

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm going on two months with the car and enjoying every drive. McIntosh audio is much better than the Bose system I had in my previous Infiniti. Soundproofing is excellent, this car has TRACTION you can't even break the tires loose on full throttle and it accelerates pretty well considering its weight (3800+ lbs). Has a very solid, safe feel. If you are getting out of an SUV like I did, you will find this car every bit as capable as an SUV yet handles like a car and I just got 26 mpg on a road trip. awesome !!

McIntosh audio VDC / traction control system dual sunroofs quiet

too bad they took the cassette deck out in 2003 (to make room for OnStar) - I had to install an RF modulator to hook up my iPod. It used to be much easier w/cassette adaptor.

A Fantasic Car
By alinki

2003 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has everything . It is one fine auto.

everything