2002 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
2 blown head gaskets 20k miles
By derek_someda on 07/18/12 14:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

at 2.5 yrs noticed coolant drops in driveway. Problem progressed to wet spot. I thought no big deal that a hose needed to be replaced or clamp tightened. At 3yrs checked under car and found both head gaskets were leaking oil and water. Subaru was out of warranty and said my VIN was not amongst those recalled. Changing the gaskets would be over 3k. They sold me a 6 oz bottle of Subie coolant stop leak that did nothing. I used barrs stop leak with nano tech the last several years. Now it clogged the overfill hose so I cleaned it out. At 60k miles the oil is indicating overfill so I assume the water is now crossing into the engine block and have to get rid of the vehicle.

Excellent car
By yuba4 on 03/14/11 10:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Suby has been reliable and a perfect fit for our requirements. Bought new in 2002, it now has almost 200k miles and is still a great car. Replaced head gaskets at 150k (common problem), but otherwise not many repairs. Her features and capabilities are a perfect match for our family of four.

One helluva great car
By Snowchaser on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am by no means a conservative driver. And this car keeps up with me without even breaking a sweat. the H6 is an insanely powerful engine. The snow and ice in this car are not even a problem. It powers through it like its not even there. Great space for over night ski trips. Great looking. comfortable. The best car i've ever owned

Head gasket nightmare
By speedballjet on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Outback new 2/2002. During warranty, the automatic seat broke & would no longer adjust for height. It was fixed free of charge. Soon after warranty expired, the same problem. I've never fixed it because the cost is over $600-- ridiculous. I've only got 65,000 miles, just put new tires on the car, and my mechanic informs me that I have an oil leak and need head gaskets replaced. He showed me a Subaru Service Bulletin which extended the warranty to 8 yrs and 100,000 miles if vehicle leaking coolant. Long story short, even though I wasn't yet leaking coolant, Subaru agreed to pay for 1/2 cost including head gaskets, water pump, and seals. Cost to me $800. I still love the car.

Canadian 6 cyl H6 3.0 model wonder!
By duke_wa on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Candian edition model of 3.0 H6 Outback is close to the L.L. Bean model, but doesn't have two-tone leather, it just has the monotone leather and no L.L. Bean logos. Love the cold weather package features. Don't have the Mcintosh stereo, but the upgraded weather band stereo is still pretty decent. Quality throughout and love the power and smoothness from the 6 cylinder engine. This is our second Outback. Our previous one was the 2.5 litre 1998 4- cyl.

Started Out Great Then Money Pit
By Dave In Denver on 08/01/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our second outback. We bought a 3.0h6 vdc used. It was the regional Subaru rep's car and came fully loaded with everything including the McIntosh stereo. For 4 years we hauled 2 kids and a 80 lb dog all over Colorado. The car was great until it hit 100,000 miles. After that it was nonstop maintenance. A big problem was the car burned through brakes. Then the car began leaking oil. Lots of oil! The biggest problem was when we would go up a hill the vdc off light would come on then the engine would overheat. Two Subaru dealers could not find the problem. They overhauled the entire cooling system at great expense. Head gaskets were fine. We finally gave up and traded it in.

$$$$ maintenance
By hotwheels on 06/20/10 21:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

No mechanical problems until dealer check at 114,000 miles. Cost $2100 to bring car up to speed, new water pump (even though I never had a water leak or change in antifreeze levels), was told oil valve leak on spark plug wires, needed $600 100,000 mile checkup with this bill and needed new rear brakes too. Wind noise is annoying. Bottom of driver door seal is loose and leaks. During freezing North Dakota winters the spring loaded gas cap freezes shut, cramped interior with just average gas mileage. Have been driving 41 years and never have had $2100 repair bill on any of my Hondas, Toyotas, or Nissans (some of them with 200,000+ miles). If I have one more problem, this car is going.

Smooth 6 cylinder Outback
By duke on 06/02/10 12:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Recently purchased the H6 3.0 liter model of Outback wagon and was very impressed by the smoothness of the engine and its power, compared to the 2.5 liter engine. Interior is very tasteful and has a nice level of quality throughout. Sometimes the transmission hunts for the right gear, I have noticed.

Road Noise
By Carter on 02/15/10 09:21 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First wind, then engine noise make this car a problem on the highway. The wind noise can be fixed with a fairly simple repair (the frameless windows are at fault). The engine noise, however, is a result of the manual gearbox. The fifth gear has to rev high to allow the cruise control to pull the car uphill. As a result the car revs at 3-4000 rpm at highway speeds and makes a real racket. The raspy, unrefined 4 cyl. doesn't help. It is a deal killer. Other than that, pretty good car. Secure on dirt roads and in snow and fun to drive on both. The exterior is distinctive Subaru and the interior is well executed.

A bad car
By Dakota_Joe on 02/05/10 13:25 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Outback in 2002. Just a couple of warnings to would-be buyers: A.) If you have long legs try sitting in the passenger seat before buying this car. You get to taste you knees. The passenger experience rivals that of a back seat passenger in a 1971 Mustang II. B) If you live in the country, on a gravel road DO NOT buy this car. Normal 25 MPH gravel road driving destroys the Outback’s front suspension. I guess that the Outback ain’t built for the outback. The editors must live in big cities. C) This is certainly the most unreliable and expensive-to-maintain vehicle I’ve ever owned. Every breakdown is expensive and ours breaks down often.