Used 2000 Subaru Outback Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

GET A CLUE BUY A SUBARU!
By outbacksleeper

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Seriously been reading some of these reviews and they are a joke! My Outback has 220K miles on it AND RUNS LIKE A CHAMP! purchased this car off of a friend that did next to no maintenance at 200K, and after only 500 dollars in little things, I can beat the Mustangs off the line! Head Gaskets at 100k are NOT normal to be replaced, and my car was ran hard before owning, unlike other people complaining it's not an issue (lemons?) Tranny is awesome, Handling superb, gas mileage is excellent for an AWD. only issue is the Check Engine Light pops on and off, but that is because of the Cat conv. O2 sensor which is a KNOWN BUG, nothing to worry about though. DEF BUY THIS CAR, IT's BULLET PROOF!

Favorite Features

AWD, 5 Speed Transmission. Dash Layout, Premium Sound system, ABS, Performance both off road and on. Handling in corners, Storage space!!! Easily Maintained! oh and the look on sports car owners faces when a wagon out runs them in a quarter mile!

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

Outback wagon automatic trans, good and bad
By tlpw

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Interesting edmunds fails to list the cars with auto trans. Had this car since 09, purchased with 120k for $4800 and has 176k on it now. CEL on since 3 months after I bought it; spent way too much trying to figure it out; dealership states due to oxygen sensors, which are supposedly all one part with the catalytic so would have to replace that whole thing-they told me to keep driving it. Lots of front end issues, huge motor/trans vibrations that no one can seem to figure out, dealer or other subaru masters. Wasted lots of cash there too. Happens whenever I'm stopped in gear, always have to take it out of gear. Better mechanical knowledge needed at dealerships. Seat & driving comfort -10

Favorite Features

AWD, space, folding seats, roof racks (where my kayak lives :) I even put the kayak inside last summer--fold the front seat back and it fits right in, although had to tie the trunk down and pad the kayak. It's a great car to haul things in and on. Great stock sound system. Despite the major mechanical and comfort flaws, the car just keeps on going. Interior carpets and seat materials have held up far better than expected for a 13 year old car, not a rip, tear, or thin spot. And I beat the inside of my vehicle with kayaking, fly fishing, camping, mud, dirt roads, etc. Hats off to the interior durability.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru to this day hasn't learned that, in the outback or the forrester, the gas pedal does not belong to the right, right up against the hump. It is very uncomfortable to drive, and contributes to constant back and leg pain. Little leg room-I'm short, needseat fully forward to not drive with my toes. I'm 5'4", my dad is 5'8" and he can't fit in it. Someday maybe they'll figure out this fatal space flaw. This vehicle lacks comfort in the seats; little lumbar support & poor seat cushioning, I had to buy multiple pads and back supports to survive it. Guess what-pads + no head room makes for a really crappy, uncomfortable ride. I've checked out the new ones, & not much has changed.

ENGINE PROBLEMS?????
By linkinparker

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

If my 2000 outback has engine problems then i say thank god the old owners took care of them, i inherited it from my folks when it had 160k miles on it, after 6 years, its just over 270k miles on it, i write this review mainly for my love for my outback and mind you i have to get rid of it soon and the new models arent as reliable if you see this and want something that reliable, practical, and can carry a occasional heavy item then this is your car. Since i've gotten this car i've only really spent about a grand total into minus the norms, gas, wheels, oil changes, ect. wish subaru made their cars like they did back in the early 2ks.

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage with 270k i'm still getting about 23 miles a gallon

Solid Vehicle
By jkwcivil

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used in September '09 with approximately 41,000 miles. Since then I've driven 10,000 miles in different conditions, including ice and mud, and I've found this to be a solid and reliable vehicle. It has the four cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg with 50% highway and 50% in town. I admit that I'm not an aggressive driver. Most others would probably get a lower gas mileage reading. The suspension is very much like an SUV when traveling off-road or over rough pavement. The all wheel drive gives a secure feeling when the roads are slick. I can see why Subarus are popular in northern states.

Favorite Features

I like the simplistic design of dashboard (stereo, air conditioning, etc.), the long travel suspension, all wheel drive and the ability to fold the rear seats into a deck that is completely flat.

Suggested Improvements

Much of the improvements that I can think of have been made to the later models. For instance, I wish I could lay one side of the rear seat flat. I cannot due to the lower seat cushion being a solid piece.

Couldn't make it to 100,000 miles!
By Jenster

2000 Subaru Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car was great in SLC where we bought it, but as soon as we headed east in 2008 the trouble all started. 85000 miles & middle of Iowa and catalytic converter blew and needed replaced. Which we just replaced AGAIN a week ago due to check engine light. The car has 112,000 miles and has had 2 catalytic converters, knock sensor, 2 O2 sensors, and a cracked valve repaired all this to the tune of about $8000 in 18 months. Our Toyota Corolla from 1992 runs better than this car. We bought it based on the great ratings of 200000 or more miles... this won't make it! Back to a Toyota owner after this experience.

Favorite Features

Snow Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better emissions system!!! Less road noise when driving on the highway.