Used 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2012 Legacy Buyers Check Steering Before Buying
By bill497

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Don't make the same mistake I did. I was totally unaware of this issue when I bought. Do some searches on steering wander. You will mostly find the problem on the Outback, but I think that's because there are more Outbacks out there. My 2012 Legacy was very annoying to drive. You had to constantly correct from the left to the right. The car was still under factory warranty, but they couldn't fix it. New tires, alignments, rotations, nothing worked. The car had never been wrecked. Also it had a heavy wheel, so between the constant correcting and that, it made for very fatigued driving. Test out your Legacy or Outback first and check for this problem before buying!!

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to come clean and admit what is causing this steering issue and take care of their customers.

3rd in the family
By mpople

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The third Subaru I have adopted, The first was a 2009 Forester, the second was a 6 cylinder Outback 2012, and now a 2012 Legacy. Yep, I guess we have become a Subaru Family

One of the Nicest Cars That No One Talks About.
By simy

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car is about as practical as you can get. AWD doesn't sacrifice MPG & comes in handy in snow. It's not flashy, but it looks nice, esp. w/tinted windows. My mechanics love Toyota & Lexus mechanically, but recommended the Legacy, it won me over. Got a good price, a little over $22K, practically 0% financing & Costco cash card. The PZEV reduces smell when starting up in the garage. Heated mirrors, wipers & seats in the Premium model. Rocker panel lights up when doors open. Hazard light button placed pefectly so when you shift the car to Park, just depress w/index finger. Little stuff that no one talks about, but it's been thought out. It's really a nice car that doesn't draw headlines.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish, AWD, MPG, PZEV, good handling and comfortable ride. Premium packaged options. Dashboard layout. Wheel well flared out. Rocker panel ground effects, although it can scuff easy when stepping out of the car, it does look good. There's a wide competitive range to chose from. Looked at Lexus ES350, Toyota Camry, Acura TL and TSX, Honda Accord, Audi A4 and Subaru Outback. Decided on the Legacy, it fit the bill and didn't break the bank.

Suggested Improvements

Reduction of engine noise on the 4 cylinder, esp. during start and warming up. Smooth out the CVT when downshifting to a complete stop. Could use a nicer stereo, but it will do, if you don't need a bells and whistles and thumping system.

The Car I almost Overlooked !
By diehard080

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I had been shopping for a good week and I wanted something that would work for our family of three ( 9 year old boy ) and my wife . I didn't want to waste ridiculous time examining all the possibilities as it gets to the point where your life is consumed in details and these car sites and magazines , dealers , commercials all are the fuel for this confusion and frustration in that what ever car is :the best " or whatever spin they have that day . I wanted the every thing car but NOT an SUV , NOT a crossover but a Reasonably priced sedan that would be a errand runner , dinner limo , tahoe cruiser and more. Well It was Camry, Accord , Chevy Cruise , Ford Fusion . Then I am watching TV ...

Favorite Features

Along comes a commerical with a little girl and her dad concerned that she needs to drive safely and that he knew this day would come , then they pan back to the girl in the drivers seat and shes College age and is saying ...yes dad , yes dad , Well it was a Subaru Legacy ! I remember in College my buddy had a Subaru and we to that thing to the moon - but was it a car that I would be able to rely on , my wife like driving and be fun, safe and versatile ?? Well I did 10 minutes of research and found Subaru was now a BRand that was ON TOP of Topyota , HOnda , NIssan , BMW ==everybody - IT was overall now the NUMBER#1 car maker all around . I didnt believe it so I went down to ,

Suggested Improvements

a dealer the Legacy in a Navy Blue , Bluetooth , Sunroof was in frnt . All Wheel drive and they are still making the Boxer engine that only Porsche still makes and once was in the VW bugs of long ago --cars that would not die . I was still skeptical ...UNtil we drove it . It was so far above the ride of the other Japan/Korean/us brands I was sold and ready to be testing this stunning car. I just had a feeling it was the car we could go and do it all in and after over 10K miles we have and not one problem except not enough time to take road trips - the CVT transmission makes hwy driving a pleasure and at 80mph im doing 2000rpms ! gas is about 35 on the freeway--Highly Reccomended !