2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2006 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

Simply Amazing
By TheEnthusiast

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is simply an amazing car. The base line performance of it is enough to take to the track alone. Adding a few light mods such as a turbo-back exhaust and a BOV increase the performance surprisingly well. It's a car for someone who wants a rocket, and can handle it. Not for consumer influenced drivers who want a comfortable quiet ride. It pulls hard, and it sacrifices sound protection to lighten the car with a thin roof. Sound system is good in my opinion, yet it's hard to hear over the exhaust, I take pride in that. VERY fun to drive, handles well, accelerates hard, stops in no time. It generally makes me happy.

Favorite Features

Basically the performance driven design. All aspects of it are geared towards performance, which is how I like it.

Suggested Improvements

The front design isn't exactly pleasing compared with the '05's.

Wow!
By NewSubaruGuy

2006 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a great car! I bought one of the last '06 models and saved a few grand--I think it just lacks an iPod jack vs. the '07. I've put over $4K on this car so far and I'm really happy with this purchase. I don't even miss my Tacoma any more. It's quick, fun, amazing on wet roads (not too many of those in SoCal) and gets almost double the MPG of my truck. I can't believe how much car you get for this little money. I'm 6'1" and I have more head room in this than I did in my Tacoma, FJ62 or Explorer. I bought this model out-the-door for less than the current MSRP, so NOTHING else in this price range could come close to what my Scuby has to offer.

Favorite Features

AWD, supportive seats, great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cross bars on rack aren't mounted as far forward as ideal...makes it a bit cramped to carry bikes or surfboards on top.

Car Lover
By Blake

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my STi in November and I love it! Where can you get a car that goes 0-60 in 4.5 secs for less than $30,000. I traded a 06' Eclipse since it wasn't fast enough and didn't have AWD. The STi is the best car I have had and I have been through 3 in the last 3 years. I think the STi has the potential to be one of the fastest cars on the road if tuned and hooked up properly. I want at least 500hp and 475lbs of torque when all sudden done. The STi is a lean mean killing machine when it comes to acceleration and performance. Would not trade it in for nothing, oh and ah the EVO rode to shift and where else can you get a 6 spoke clutch from a stock car! Sorry EVO lovers but STI rules!

Favorite Features

AWD, the wing of course, acceleration, handling, easy shifting, great in the snow, at least it has cruise control (the EVO doesn't, the looks, wheels)l.

Suggested Improvements

Two ac/dc adapters instead of one, more power, and maybe a slick body kit with lowering springs to hide some wheel gap!

This car is IT
By mike06tr

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Man I love this car. After wanting one for few years, when the 06 with the 2.5 came out I jumped on it. With a couple minor bolt ons I am just as fast as cars costing twice as much. 13.30 1/4 mile@ 101mph not bad for $23k. My last car was a 460hp Mustang so I like power.

Favorite Features

The engine. Really pulls when the boost comes in.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, radio, and shifter.

Too much fun
By Leif_in_seattle

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Iíve been driving my WRX wagon for about two weeks now and Iím more impressed with it every day. The overall road feel and driver interface is amazing. Steering is precise, and acceleration is exhilarating, even before the turbo kicks in. Previous versions of the WRX were plagued by a pronounced turbo lag and lame torque at lower RPMs, but the new 2.5L engine in the í06 distributes power across a much wider band. It still jumps at 3500-4000 RPMs when the turbo kicks in, but itís quicker off the line with a much smoother transition into the turbo burst, resulting in a more even, muscular acceleration. The AWD enables it to handle great on all surfaces and under all conditions.

Favorite Features

This car is not for everyone, but for those seeking an under $25k ride that provides thrilling performance, AWD capability and day to day practicality it would be tough to do better than the Impreza WRX wagon. Best features: Handling, acceleration, AWD, appearance, small wagon practicality.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, fuel economy, insurance cost, no iPod input, no sunroof available (except with Limited model).

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, exceptional power, excellent handling. I'm told that the STi has had the roof strengthened for rollcage protection, but I haven't investigated it yet. Finally: the boxer engine removes almost all torque issues when accelerating.

Suggested Improvements

Whatever Mitsu is doing with the Evo. Squared. Also: would be nice if dealer set suspension up for driving style of buyer. Mechanical improvements: I can't think of any -- it is what it is. The Kumho ASX tires quiet the ride down a bit from the stock Potenzas...the ride is a bit stiff, too.

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Favorite Features

Xion lights, Brembo brakes. 6 speed, 300 HP.

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo is a joke. Smaller rear wing. M+S tire option at purchase.

Happy Owner
By Josh

When I first purchased my STi it was perfect. Now 6 months later I can't get enough. This is the first vehicle I ever owned which made me not want to go home and park it. It's very satisfying, very addicting and is better than a drink at the end of a hard work day. Not a dull moment. Believe it or not, I am a family man whose family enjoys going everywhere in it.

Favorite Features

AC is great with climate control always on. Fairly quiet ride even though the car is permanently glued to the road. The engine sounds mean when idling with stock exhaust. I really enjoy getting 29 MPG with cruise control on at 68 MPH and 300 HP to boot.

Suggested Improvements

The factory should tint the back three windows to reduce tailgater glare. Needs better intercooling during 100 degree summer months.

I Love My Subie!--Greeley, CO
By Landon-21 years old

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

W O W ! This is a great car for the money. Compared to other 4 door sedans under $20,000 this one knocks the doors off the competition. This car is so practical and fun and well its a great car. I hope that if you are looking for a car that you definitely consider Subaru. By the way I get 21 city & 26 hwy, so decent gas mileage also especially considering it is an automatic and has AWD.

Favorite Features

GREAT handling, nice power for such low HP, fun to drive, sturdy suspension, AWD, very simple interior (plain & to the point), decent stereo, awesome looks, reliability, 3 low gears, fun on curvy mountain roads, deep trunk, bright lights, well done sport seats, and it is a really sweet lookin' car.

Suggested Improvements

Well if you want more power, step it up to the turbo or STi I guess, TOO FUN to drive which makes me drive it more than I probably should and so therefore I tend to go through a lot of gas...but that's about all. Hope to see you on the road drivin' a Subie.

Hello Safe Drivers: Get the LEGACY
By anne

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Race-car drivers can ignore this. Smart, safe drivers should get the Legacy. My Buick skid on a wet road and crashed badly. Wanted Subaru Legacy for AWD and safety features, but decided to save money and get Impreza. AWD is great. No one regrets buying Legacy. Gas mileage is better in small car, but Legacy is the better car.

Favorite Features

AWD, side air bag, good breaks, good crash-test rating. The combination of fuel-efficient 4-cylinder with really good horse-power. tight curves are great.

Suggested Improvements

My car insurance thinks this car is a race car (probably got my 2.5 confused with the WRX model) but I can't even go 70mph in it without car rocking from wind! Car needs to be lower to the ground maybe to make it "heavier"? May not be best idea to get COMPACT car from an *SUV* dealer.