2003 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Drive it, you'll like it!

2003 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

Outback Sport Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Drive it, you'll like it!
By Funwagon on

2003 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Although I have owned 2 Subarus, I thought I was going to end up in a Jetta 1.8T, or used Audi A4. Jetta summary - higher perf and a higher price, no AWD, not as safe, or reliable. Comparably priced A4s were 1999 vintage, a bit long in the tooth. I considered the protege5, but looking at the safety data quickly ended that. The wagon's cargo options are extremely flexible. My 55 lb. dog fits comfortably in the back. The driver's seat is comfortable and visibility is good. The instrumentation is adequate. Although I read lukewarm reviews of the acceleration I suspect they were based on the automatic transmission. I find the M5 to be more than satisfactory.

Fun to drive Incredible handling again, I recommend the manual. Safety -AWD+4wheel ABS really helps in winter weather

CABIN NOISE!!! Some reviews mentioned this, but it's worse than I expected. Esp. at highway speen. No Leather Option!? Dealer wanted $1200 for after-market installation. Fuel Economy seems to be running at the lower end of the EPA estimate (21- 22)