Used 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great purchase
By nolabeck

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have been looking at smaller SUV for the past two years. This one has one of the highest ratings, so it was the first one I went to test drive. After driving the Forester I didn't even bother to go test drive the CRV or the RAV4. It drove well, very comfortable, and bottom line it was love at first drive! Looking forward to driving my Forester for many years.

Blue tooth link (easy to sync my Iphone and the Ipod on my phone, easy adjustable seating, air conditioner controls, high definition radio, steering wheel control for audio and for phone, ease with putting down the rear seats for addition storage.

Add the satellite radio, not just have the car "satellite ready, the options for flatter storage when back seats are lowered.

Don't buy this car with automatic transmission
By vladikt

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am extremely disappointed with the ride quality. I've owed my 2011 Forester for 5 months now and I could never get use to the disgusting clunky transmission. It is unbelievable how in 2011 Subaru still can't supply a nice smooth transmission. Before this Forester I owned Impreza with manual 5 speed and I could shift smoother than Forester with Automatic. Its a joke, it down shifts when it doesn't have to and upshifts when it shouldn't. Like right before the full stop, all of the sudden it upshifts and it feels like it skids. Completely retarded! I was all hyped up when I test drove the car and everything felt perfect.

Exterior and Interior is great and good looking quality. The sound system is pretty good, awesome huge sunroof, I like everything about the looks of the car.

The ride is extremely jerky with all the of availability of CVT transmissions, Subaru has all the options to use it. My wifes base like 19k Nissan Altima has a 6 speed CVT transmission is the ride is 100 times better. What a disappointment!

A great Value but by no means perfect. . .
By kghofsf

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I recently bought a Pearl Blue 2.5X Limited Forester. I was looking for a smaller Crossover that was rugged enough to handle some relatively sketchy gravel / dirt roads on the way to the back-country, but was not completely out of place in an Urban environment. I also didn't want to spend 40K+ either. After returning from a 2500 mile road trip to the Tucson AZ area I can confirm that the Forester essentially fulfills its twin goals of being both tough enough for the desert and civilized enough for everyday driving. It is Not, however, a luxury car (see the Volvo XC60) nor is it a Performance car. As such people with long daily commutes might want to look elsewhere.

I very much liked the Foresters performance in the mountains, on Gravel and dirt roads (AWD keeps things rock solid) and on city streets. The ride, handling, steering, and overall highway noise (low) are all quite good too. Other favorites include the rather full featured electronics (Ipod hookup, Bluetooth, etc) and the drivers seat which I found very comfortable even after 8+ hours at the wheel. The car does have plenty of space for luggage, photo gear, etc, and there were few or no rattles when the car was packed.

Where the Forester (really) needs improvement is acceleration at interstate speeds. It CAN do it, but not as quick as you might like, and it certainly will make a LOT of (engine) noise trying. Subaru really, Really, REALLY needs to have a 6 cylinder engine available for this puppy. With that it would be a slam dunk. A REAL Climate control system would also be appreciated. Perhaps I was spoiled by my previous car (Acura CL 3.0) but the auto settings on the Forester AC were sort of hopeless. My wife was not fond of the Front Passenger seat which she felt gave her quite the backache. I had no such problem, nor did my wife complain about the driver seat or sitting in the back

2011 Subaru Forester Limited
By downsouth1

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently purchased the 2011 Subaru Forester Limited. All Wheel Drive was a compelling feature for me and the fact that it is highly rated in Consumers Report. Number one small SUV. Some things I would like to see improved upon: Interior fit and finish and quality of interior materials. Limited Edition should have features such as auto lights, auto locking doors, Satelite Radio instead of Satelite Ready (which cost you another $500 to buy the parts to have the radio function as a satelite radio), Gas Lid release should be on the driver's door instead of the floor of the car (making it easier to reach), transmission should updated to a CVT transmission or more than 4 gears.

great value and best in snow
By gib2011

2011 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great SUV especially for Harsh winters and off road driving. The 2010 /2011 Forester is easy on the eyes in my opinion. This car has the best value for money in its class. The leather interior is very nice but not luxurious. The blue tooth and Navigation work well, and the touch screen is very convenient. I really enjoy driving my Forester. The handling is better than I thought it would be. The sound system in the limited edition forester is good. I was quite impressed with the video quality of the DVD player. I watched Avitar in my Forester, and the surround sound together with the visual quality was great! I really love this car!

The handiling and capability of this SUV is great. The New England winter storms so far have been a walk over for my Forester. The huge moon roof along with all the convenient features makes this car a joy to own. The satellite radio is nice and the sound system is good. Bluetooth, leather heated seats and Navigation for the relatively low price makes this car a great deal. All the people who complain about rattling noises, need to get over it. When the radio is on I dont hear a thing. Even when the radio is off I dont hear much noise...except when the wife has the car messy and items are not secured. 4 wheel drive is standard in all subaru's. You can't beat that!

Rear view back up camera option would be great. More interior color options would be greatly appreciated. Also more interior / exterior combination options would make the car more appealing.