Used 2010 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester SUV

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Fourth Subaru Forester
By DW

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm almost to the end of my first year with my 2010, the fourth Forester we've bought (we still have 3 of them in the family). Was driving a 2008 Premium, which gave me an insight into how Subaru shaved costs to keep pricing where it is. For 2009 and 2010, they dropped the leather wrapped steering wheel, integrated turn signal lighting in side mirrors, and premium radio with 6 Cd changer in favor of a cheap radio with one CD. Love the ride, how supple it is over bumps. The power is plenty adequate, particularly if you push it over into manumatic and stir it yourself. Like the tinted windows on Premium and Limited. Love, love, love the extra space of the new body style.

Favorite Features

Ride quality, interior space, styling, alloy wheel design, visibility, world's largest sunroof, gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality exterior paint, carpet, windshield glass. Raise the passenger seat. Put in a decent radio or offer an upgrade for purchase! And please, please add a 5th gear, or a CVT transmission.

Not happy
By unhappy owner

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First day-blue smoke came out of the tailpipe on startup. Salesman said it should disappear after few hundred mi. After 1 wk it was in service w/ 400 mi with the same problem. Subaru service MGR said "the blue smoke is normal and part of breaking in." Service changed oil & filter for an OC test. This brand new car still blows blue smoke everyday on cold start and even if it's been sitting for few hrs. Been going to service once, twice, & even 3x/wk and service MGR keeps telling my that my car is "normal and its part of breaking in." I lose a lot of oil within a wk (1qt+) & still waiting for Subaru to do something. Service refuse to fix the car. 1st time buying new car & not happy with Subaru.

Favorite Features

I do like the visibility,leather interior, & awd but other than that I wish I'd never gotten a Subaru. I have more problem on my 2010 Subaru Forester than my '90 Toyota Celica. Not even a month yet.

Suggested Improvements

It's very embarrassing when I startup my car in the parking lot and big cloud of blue smoke comes out of the back of car. People look at me then looks at my brand new Forester. My Toyota is more reliable w/ over 213k mi & never burn oil like this! Subaru - What's going on here?

General observations
By Bertram R. Eisner

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am 84 years old and have been driving for 60 years. This Forester; 1. overall a plain car for $25,000 2. Bad gas cap place;near bottom of car 3. backing up is not smooth.Bad. 4. Heating and air poor. 5. Dashboard bare;cannot see clock or temperature because no contrast; poor colors used. 6. no light in glove box. 7. Cargo door is not well planned;clumsy to use. 8.Rear view mirrors block view; and not heated. Overall not a good choice. I made a mistake. There other short comings but no sense in going on.

Favorite Features

Feeling of saftey. Good size interior. Appearance. handles.On drivers and passengers innovative. Slot like handle are good and and helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Review short comings nnad try to improve. Does this go to mfg?

Rattles
By Zoe

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Rather "tinny". Presently have an 09 Impreza and 07 Legacy in household in addition to the 2010 Forester. The Forester is by far the poorest quality of the 3. Legacy is just a tank. Real nice to drive. Very tight! Great car! So is Impreza. It appears to us that the quality in workmanship exhibited in the Legacy is absent in the Forester. The rattles (door and ceiling in our case) are truly annoying. The dealer seems to be at a lost when trying to pinpoint the cause and is unaware of these complaints that appear to be quite common with this model and documented on numerous internet sites. When paying in the 30- 35 K range these are things that must not occur. Plan to trade in the next year

Favorite Features

Cargo space is very good for the size. Value for price is good excluding rattle issue

Suggested Improvements

More continuous quality improvement is required by the manufacturer for this model. Quality of workmanship needs big improvement. Adjustable passenger seat a must as std equipment

On My Third Forester
By Qnique

2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Forester gave it up for me and protected me when a semi ran me into a cement median going 65 mph. I walked away with only bruises from the seat belt. The 2010 Forester replacement is 3" taller and 3" longer. It is very roomy and comfortable. I personally prefer the fabric upholstery (not hot in the summer and cold in the winter), AND the front seats are heated! Even though the car is larger, the tight turning radius is still very good. I have not experienced any issues with rattles or noise. In fact, this '10 is much quieter than the '05. More than anything, my Foresters have always been excellent handling, spunky, reliable and have risen to any challenge presented.

Favorite Features

Reliability, sound and solid construction, confidence in the safety of others and myself, comfort, panoramic view, cargo space and value - Oh, AND the fact that it is manufactured by a very socially- and environmentally-conscious company!

Suggested Improvements

A hybrid, a tilt-top sunroof, an inside cargo door release.