2010 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Not returning to Subaru
By cars4dummies on 02/10/14 07:52 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Despite all the hypes out there, I am very disappointed with our Forester. Runs well and icy and snowy roads here in Calgary, but the customer care is mediocre to say the least, and we've had series of issues after our first maintenance. Suffice to say, we went back to the dealer for repairs other than regular maintenance at least five times in the last four years. That's a lot considering this is a brand new car. My 2003 Toyota Echo has been a much better value for us for $10K less than our Forester. We will sell ours shortly, and will not go back to Subaru again. (sorry sis... she works for Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan)

2011 Forester are not representative of the Subaru name
By nornet on 02/13/11 10:29 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Subarus. The plain old vanilla Legacy sedan was by far the best of the bunch (2008). The Outback Limited (2007) was pretty close behind. The Forester was one of the poorest vehicles I have drive. You can not sit in these seats for more than 2 hours. This problen goes back at least 10 years. My first encounter with a Forester (2000) was in the same quality seats. If you wan't to shuttle around the city than this can be overlooked but for any distance driving look elsewhere.

Definitely Love my Subaru
By rthomas18 on 01/30/11 20:48 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my subaru in May 2010 - put 22,000 miles on it over the past 6 months -- 2500 where I was towing at the maximum capacity. I could not be happier with the performance. The seats could be more comfy, and yes - the cup holders absolutely suck (I was told by a guy in the service department to use a strip of foam-works pretty well). It's a great car at a great price - just wish they offered the leather interior w/the 5-speed!

Most annoying vehicle ever
By canuck on 06/06/10 21:03 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

after 6 months, I am wishing I had never bought this 'thing': 1 - very poor stereo 2 - dealer fixed interior rattles with duct tape and foam, I'm serious, ceiling still rattles 3 - very uncomfortable seats 4 - annoying blue interior lights 5 - poor manual gear box 6 - cheap interior, small controls 7 - no decent drink holder 8 - stupid noisy engine 9 - after turning off engine, it ticks for 10 mins when cooling, like a cheap bike, - normal apparently - maybe for subaru 10 - stupid chime when seat belt not engaged 11 - poor paint job that chips easily 12 - overall rough ride 13 - cannot open door with key if alarm activated without setting it off Buy something else

1st Subaru!
By Sperguy on 06/03/10 13:40 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car a little over two months. Love the SUV-ish design. Car handles well. Very good mileage. The 5-speed manual is the way to go until they upgrade to what the Outback has for an automatic. Only negative is an overhead rattle. Being a pick-up driver for 25+ years, I was ready for some rattling, but this one IS ANNOYING. I'm currently working with the dealership to solve it. Waiting to see what Subaru will pay for. A local body shop can fix it no problem.

Rattle solution
By Dr.Trout on 05/27/10 19:08 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediately after purchase, my Forrester performed wonderfully at all speeds on an 1800 mile road trip and with better than advertised mileage. On a dirt road, I got carried away and came face to face with another vehicle on a sharp turn in sand with no way to stop in time. Took a very high bobsled bank on the right in sand and swooned down before my wife's heart had a chance to skip a beat. 2 weeks later a sudden rattle occurred on my way to work. In had put the plates on the night before. The rear one came with only 2 screws. Put 2 more in the bottom holes and presto, no rattle.

Rattle trap
By Dale on 05/20/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Should have know better as my 06 Forester rattled from the day I drove it off the lot. Within a month the 2010 Forrester passenger side door started to rattle and then the drivers side door. Dealer can't find the source. It's now to the point where I feel like I'm driving a popcorn popper. The vehicle gets good mileage, handles well, has great utility and is great in Vermont winters but the rattling takes the fun out of driving it. I'm going to start a "Share the Hate Campaign" on You Tube! I'd look at Honda or Toyota even though a little more costly than the Subaru. I contacted Subaru Corporate and their response was "Contact your dealer." No responsibility. They just build them!!

the rattlemobile
By canuck on 03/03/10 18:48 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

the good - looks decent, good rear storage, lots of room for kids in back seat, decent towing capacity the bad - noisy engine, uncomfortable seats front, poor drink holders, well hidden heated seat controllers, stupid blue light over rear mirror, small controls for stereo and cruise. the ugly - the stereo is poor, but above all .... it RATTLES ! various cheap plastic components rattle under all conditions, the ceiling, the doors, the dash, the windows, the trunk, front heat deflector.

Second Subie
By Gryjmcgrath on 12/28/09 14:57 PM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2005 Forester and the head gasket blew last year at 167,000. Bought a cheap Jeep before X- mas and decided on another Forester this year. Rides like a go-cart and and gets great gas mileage. The awd is a necessity up North. The ability to press a button and lock em in is a great improvement. This rig is easy to park and will go most anywhere in any weather. Missed my old one...glad I got this one.

Drives like a car, roomy like an SUV
By Gregg on 12/15/09 07:02 AM (PST)

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I would best describe the Forester as a "nice" automobile. It does everything well, but nothing outstanding (which is not a knock on it). It seats five, pulls a small trailer, can handle dirt roads and snow, usable large storage area, good visibility, good highway manners, etc. A very solid vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Forester in VA is:

$99 per month*