Used 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Good value
By roger

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2003 Outlander AWD new and have only had oil changes, tires and a couple recalls since. It's been a very reliable, versatile and economical vehicle.

Favorite Features

Select shift and flat folding rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

A few more hp which was added in later years.

Pleasantly surprised in Hawaii
By tballer1976

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car was not first choice but it has been dependable for 5+ years! When on the mainland, it's been to New Mexico, Las Vegas, & throughout California with no problems. Driven through rain, fog, & desert too. It's great to have for long drives & the MPG is comparable to other SUVs of its type/year. The interior is well spaced, especially for back seat passengers, & the stock sound system is surprisingly good. A/C is still running great too. Only complaint is the front seat headrests. I feel like my head is jutted out too forward. Had to just turn my headrest the other way. Also, maintenance at Mitsubishi dealers can get quite pricey, but it is the dealer after all. Great car!

Favorite Features

Stock stereo, interior space, fold down rear seats

Suggested Improvements

Change the headrests! They jut out too far forward.

It all fell apart!
By ahinde

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really liked my 2003 outlander when I bought in in 2004, but soon after that I found it had many problems. Every summer water fills inside my air conditioner and causes it to short out causing a new blower motor to be replaced. This wasn't all covered by warranty and they could never figure out why it would do this. Also my entire suspension has been changed and only a year later it's already squeaking. Also our temp dial doesn't rotate freely anymore, the cable designed badly and has been replaced once already. There are also numerous issues with this model and Mitsubishi won't do recalls on. Overall I would not purchase another one!

Favorite Features

I liked the gas mileage before it was $5 bucks a gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind what you make!

Lemon,Lemon---oh no
By Hate my Outlander!

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Outlander has been nothing but problems since I purchased it in 2004 BRAND NEW off the lot. Every year I had water rushing into the passenger side onto the floor. The shop attempted to fix it multiple times. Every time it would happen again until the my warranty ran out and they thought they could refuse to fix it! ha!! LEMON LAW!! Now I replaced the brakes on the front and guess what? I could not get the driver side brake to bleed!! Took it to a brake shop!! The master cylinder is out and I only have two brakes!! the part cost $374. My payment is $500/mo.

Great Ride
By jmercado787

2003 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the outlander thinking I was going to buy another car later. Yea right, I'm keeping this bad boy. I made some modifications but from 160 hp I'm up to 190 hp. I'm very happy. Also I put 18" chrome rims on it. And a cold air intake. Think about it. You can wonders with this vehicle. I love it.

Favorite Features

Auto driver window, back seats, and the height from street to vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Turbo unit, and they should have made standard tranny's for this vehicle.