2008 Mazda CX-9 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:
Great Value, Fun to drive
By hmendoza on 11/29/08 05:47 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought the CX-9 last week but been researching CUVs for the last six months and the CX-9 is the best value for the money and is a lot of fun to drive. My wife and I are very happy with it.

What a great CUV
By Jb on 11/24/08 10:46 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this vehicle for my wife, she was looking for a spacious crossover to upgrade from her VW Passat for our 2 active boys. We looked at the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, and Mazda CX-7. The Edge was just boring to drive, the Murano was our second fav pick, but too pricey and significantly smaller. We were most surprised though about the difference between the CX-7 & the 9. The fit and finish of the 9 seemed significantly better than the 7. Both are fun to drive, the 7 has serious zoom-zoom, but for a bigger vehicle, the 9 does as well. For overall look and utility, the 9 was the hands down winner for us.

Used CX-9 for family
By Boogs SUV on 11/16/08 08:47 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle because my wife and I need a bigger car. I had a Toyota Matrix but with a car seat in the back made for a tight fit along with the stroller. We have had this suv for about 3 weeks now and love it. We have no complaints except for gas mileage. But can't do anything about that it's an SUV not a four cylinder. Also big BLIND SPOTS but fixed it with buying a wide rear view mirror.

Just a few missing parts
By dragonphire on 11/15/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have had less than sixty days but I am really luv'n this car. I flew to Chicago from NC to get it and drove it the 13 hours back the next day and was really impressed. There are a few things I would change like having auto door locks and trip computer. Yes the gas mileage stinks but not much worse than others I have driven. Real world is always different than EPA anyway. I have test driven every thing available in the segment and this is the best thing going.I drove the Flex, Highlander, Pilot and the GM trips as well as Audi, BMW and some others.

Great vehicle, skip the Nav
By Mazda driver on 11/11/08 07:53 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased top of the line with all features, Side view warning system terrific, back-up camera excellent, sat radio great, ride tight, excellent, pick up so so, space terrific. Nav is terrible. Enter "Walmart" and it sends you to a walmart in different state! Interface is horrible. Buy a Garmin instead.

What a ride
By Wyzby on 11/05/08 07:54 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After owning a Lincoln Navigator and Honda CRV, what a treat to have a powerful yet nimble car to drive. It has the size and power but lacks the clumsy sloppy handling of other larger SUVs. We love the interior and its performance on winding roads is spectacular. Our minds were made up on another CRV but I am glad for the small difference we looked and bought the CX-9

A big wagon (and that's a good thing)
By nastacio on 10/27/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is a replacement to a totaled Toyota Sienna. *For the segment*, it is probably the best interior space for the exterior dimensions. We looked at a Saturn Outlook, Honda Pilot and Buick Enclave, but the GM's few extra inches in all dimensions made them a chore in parking lots. The Honda sacrificed too much in 3 row. The Mazda was just right. The lack of interior storage is frustrating, with all the room in the center stack wasted under a compartment that barely fits a couple of wallets. A Mazda5 has more interior storage than the CX-9. The handling is excellent, the driver seats far from the front axle and somehow it feels like a substantial sedan on the road.

Lots of car for the money
By MF on 10/20/08 08:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Compared with Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Toyota Highlander. I'd not considered the Mazda originally, but when we drove it we loved it. CX-9 clearly offered much more car for the dollar than others in its class. The build quality seems excellent, interior materials are very nice - much better than Honda or Toyota.

Very happy, so far!
By j73alb on 10/09/08 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the exterior and interior styling of this CUV. Performance is really good for such a large vehicle. Acceleration, steering, and braking are all the same or better than my wife's coupe. We took the cx-9 on a 1000 mile trip this summer. We averaged over 22 mpg and this was with 5 people, luggage, and driving through mountains. Not bad for a CUV! We also test drove the new Honda Pilot and GMC Acadia and the Mazda was our favorite. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Best of the Third Row Seat SUV Bunch
By TimC on 10/08/08 10:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

After considering the Highlander, MDX, Pilot, and Enclave, my wife and I settled on the CX-9. While not quite perfect for our needs, it was clearly the best overall SUV, and came out on top for functionality, ergonomics, and as a bonus, it didn't look like the box that a more attractive vehicle came in. We had only looked at the Mazda as an afterthought, figuring we'd end up with the Highlander, but were very surprised at the overall quality and attention to detail in the CX-9. While the Highlander had arguably better performance and interior storage space, it lacked many things the CX-9 offered, such as a split-row third seat and ample room in all three rows, among others. A very good buy.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.