You will need to buy a spare tire and jacK!
By shullj on
2013 Kia Rio LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)
My daughter recently bought a Kia Rio. After a blowout (sidewall), we were shocked to find out there was no spare and no jack! There was a silly little pump and some compound that is supposed to fix flats! But not sidewall damage - the most common damage to modern radial tires! Furthermore, the salesman at Courtesy Kia (Henderson, NV) never informed her that there was no spare! And if that is not enough, it took here over an hour to navigate the phone maze and get in touch with roadside assistance to told to "go buy an new tire and we'll come and put it on! What a rip off and quite dangerous! We live in Nevada and if you get stranded on some lonely road in the summer, you could die!
Favorite Features
None! I wouldn't buy one.
Suggested Improvements
Put a spare tire and a jack in it! I couldn't get my hydraulic jack under it and the Toyota jack didn't fit correctly - not too safe! Somebody is going to get hurt and these guys are going to get sued!
By iammilitaryman
on 01/18/13 07:09 AM (PST)

Yeah, I agree 100% The Hyundai Elantra that I owned (2011) was the same way. They are doing it to not only cut costs but cut weight from car to eek out higher gas mileage. If they are willing to do that then who knows what other items they "cut" to reduce weight ! I was sooo glad to trade in my Elantra on a 2013 Chevy Sonic Made in Michigan -- WITH a spare tire. I can say that it probably does get 1-2 worse in MPG but the ride is much quieter and less harsh which I attest to more sound deadening materials that are probably left off the Korean models for weight reasons

By sports_mike
on 03/11/13 10:18 AM (PDT)

That's your fault for not checking car at dealer. Don't blame KIA for the inability to ask questions. Plus you only use a spare about very occasionally during a car's lifespan

By so_cali
on 01/27/13 09:29 AM (PST)

Many car companies are leaving out the spares these days. A complete OEM spare tire kit including the jack is around $200 on eBay or most KIA dealers that aren't rip offs. Fits perfectly. It's always good to research a car before you buy it, to avoid issues like this.

By charlie_in_la
on 04/11/13 13:33 PM (PDT)

I put new tires and nice wheels on mine. Kept 2 of the original tires and wheels as spares. I have been buying full size spares ever since the temporary spares came out anyway, so it was not a big deal for me. I don't worry about the jack too much since i have the Kia roadside assistance and also AAA. Like KIA said, get the tire. Even if they had the temporary spare , you could not go too far anyway.

By gijoe84040
on 06/07/13 14:11 PM (PDT)

I am currently looking at buying either a rio or soul and I knew that from the research. The information is out there. As for why they are leaving them out is cost, 95% of car owners have towing protection through one of several outlets(AAA, Insurance, Credit card, Banks and Even Cell phone companies). The auto make have done the research, most car's are traded back in with the original spare tire having never been used. I have tow coverage through AAA and my insurance, it's simply easier to call the service to come tow it to a shop, have the flat fix or tire replace, than to sit on the side of the road trying to change a spare tire.

By tigerheli
on 11/18/13 11:59 AM (PST)

The Rio can take a full-size (185-65R15) tire and wheel in the trunk also - not many small (or large) cars nowadays can say that.

By scharmel
on 06/16/14 03:28 AM (PDT)

I was just stuck on 6/15/14, got a blow out and had Kia 24 hour road side asst. What a joke, stuck there for 4 1/2 hours, thank god in a parking lot. Didn't have a spare or a donut. What is the chances. my last car never use the donut until after I had the car like 10 years. The kia is only a year old. Who knew I was going to get a blow out and to top it off, when the guy came to fix it, he didn't bring a tow truck, he just came to use that stupid fix a flat thing. I told them on the phone I didn't have a spare or a donut. You would thing they would automaticlly send a tow truck. then had to put in another report. it was a joke. and it was the first year i didn't have AAA, i thought why have two coverages, Kia and AAA. what are the chances Kia wouldn't work right. Yeah, over five hours later my car was finally picked up and at the Kia dealer which is closed on Sundays in NJ. so i still don't have a car until Monday. what a total waste the whole thing. So pissed with the whole situation!!