Used 2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Jeep Owner X3
By Gary

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Jeep Wrangler I have owned. The 1st was a 97 Wrangler Sahara which I gave to my son. I purchased the 04 Rubicon because it had a 5 speed. Other than a little rougher ride than the Sahara, I am totally blown away by the Rubicon. The thing people need to know about a Jeep is that it is a real SUV. If you're looking for the smooth quiet ride, it's not for you. If you want a real 4x4 capable of going anywhere, built in the USA, that holds resale value, and is a blast to drive; this is it. The wife drives an 03 Liberty Ltd, so when we need 4 doors and have a passenger or two we use it. Like they say; "It's a Jeep thing...."

Favorite Features

Everything on the Rubicon is darn near standard, though this one did come with the dual top option.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the seats sat higher, though there is an aftermarket kit available. And you'd think Chrysler would have listened and put a "dead pedal" for the left foot. Guess they just figured why change a winning package.

2004 Rubicon
By Dean

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the Jeep and dual top group, easy to work on and with the lockers this thing will go anywhere. Lifted it up 6" and added some 35" tires. The new suspension lift actually makes it ride better than stock. The Rubicon is the model to buy. Love the 7 speaker sound system.

Favorite Features

Lockers Dana 44's with 4.10 gearing. Style and appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Tires (MT/R) ride terrible on and off road

If you love Jeeps...
By Jerry R.

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've almost always owned one Jeep or another and currently own 2. If you're tired of dumping huge amounts of money into building a capable off-roader, get yourself into a Rubicon. I'll be starting with a Rubicon as a base for building from here on out because you just can't build a more serious off-road vehicle for the money. Buy one and drive it from the dealership directly to the nearest (and most extreme) trail and have fun knowing you'll go anywhere! I love my '04 more than any Jeep I've built (including a '59, '76 and an '88). The seats need lower lumbar support but it's more comfortable by far than it's predecessors. Save your "build-up" cash for something else - buy a Rubicon instead.

Favorite Features

Capability ... period.

Suggested Improvements

Seats need to be a bit more refined. Seatbelt can get slammed when closing door.

Fun Weekends, horrible daily driver.
By Keith

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's nice to go off roading, but it gets old quick, and I bought a second vehicle because it is simply impossible to live with on a daily basis. The MANUAL tranny had a factory defect and needed replaced ... all while the dealer took 3 weeks and provided no rental car, so I spent my Christmas and New Years with a $426 payment and no car! The vehicle had a fender bender too, and never ran right since, despite being fixed 3 times more. My driveshaft parts are very rusty, even though I live in one of the driest deserts on earth! The constant vibration on the freeway is the true reason I am trading this vehicle in, despite the loss I'll take. If you really want one, save $$$, buy used!

Favorite Features

The dual axles come standard, no other vehicle can give you 4WD for so cheap. Going topless is a blast, but make sure you have leather, because I never have the extra set of hands to remove my hardtop! Parking and handling are great, even on the street ... it temps you to turn corner like a coupe!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, ride quality, vibration, rust, tires! My Jeep vibrates excessively and the steering wheel shakes even if it's aligned right. My stock tires hydroplane anywhere above 45mph, so tell your dealer you won't settle for anything less than the biggest, best tires! They'll give em to you!

One Bad Mud Machine
By Brandon

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great stock but better with 4 inch suspension lift, 6 KC lights, and 33X12.50 mud terrains. We bought it used with 2,000 miles on it. Use it everyday and even in mud holes on the weekends. Once we get a "family" SUV we're going to keep adding on. It's a Jeep thing, some people will never really understand.

Favorite Features

Convertible top and reliable 4X4, never been stuck.

Suggested Improvements

Have a V8 option and bigger axles.