2004 Jeep Wrangler SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2004 Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sort Reviews by

True Trail Ready Vehicle
By ldmpam

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only reasonable priced serious off road vehicle that can be used as is for both street and trails with out concern. It is built tough and reliable, you can get an auto transmission and airconditing with cruse control. But the basic jeep has real tough drive train that you can get factory airlockers front & rear with a heavy duty transfer case and full 7 year 70k mile warrentee for worry free off/on road uses.

Favorite Features

Air locker front & rear with gear type limit slip on rear axle. 4:1 low range. 31" tires from factory. Rocker side skids

Suggested Improvements

Tummy tucker transfer skid plate would fixed the most glaring issue for serous offroading with Wrangler

Fun but unaffordable
By dnferg

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The major problem with this vehicle is poor fuel economy.

Favorite Features

The extended rear seat and cargo area

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel economy

Awesome Jeep Gas Mileage
By graycecile

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My gas mileage was a little low at first but then about 6000 miles I started watching my tachometer. I decided to keep it below 2000 when driving. Since I have been doing this my mileage as gone from 16.5 to 21.9 on the highway and from 14.5 to 17.5 in the city. I think this is awesome performance from my jeep wrangler. It's not for sale and won't be until I can afford another.

Favorite Features

I really love the seats and the many different ways of moving the back. I also love taking the back seat out when traveling.

Suggested Improvements

You know, I can't think of a thing I'd change. Yep, I guess I'm in love with my jeep. This is my first and it took my four years to talk my spouse into letting me buy one.

ADD 4" Skyjacker and 33" All Terrains
By KenJeep1978

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've got a X and at 2500 miles I added a 4" Skyjacker lift with 33" tires. I have to say I do believe that is the best compatiblity for Jeep. Gears 1 through 4 are terrific but 5th struggles at high speeds. Just recently drove cross country and hardly saw 70. But that when I remind myself its a jeep. Can also easily tow 2700 pound boat with ease.

Favorite Features

A/C, tow package,

Suggested Improvements

meaner look for stock. Get rid of SE's and stick with I-6's.

Timeless Machine
By kepasa

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you are looking for an all out performer in its class this is this vehichle for you! Excellent quality, decent ride quality in town & on the highway. Will go almost anywhere you point it offroad. It is an icon dating back to the original Willys.Soft top is adequate, but not that easy to put up.If your'e looking for a convertible with ease this is not it.

Favorite Features

Excellent build quality very good ride comfortable front seats

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of anything except offer a diesel option

grand
By asal

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

its the best car i have ever owned

Favorite Features

everything in the car is fun

Suggested Improvements

its a wonderful car i wouldnt change anything

My first Jeep
By jetmyke

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving the Rubicon. It performs well for my daily commute and is civilized on the road, given it's off road capabilities. Off road this machine is absolutly top notch. I have taken it through the "Gap" in the Catalina Mountains outside of Tucson, a 4+ rated trail, and it pulled right through. The Rubicon climbed through the boulders like a goat, (the lockers are great), and had plenty of power for the steep ascents on rock faces. Wound up breaking a wheel, but that happens in the rocks. I forgot to air down the tires. I did add a winch, rock sliders, tube bumpers and a K & N air filter. Over all very satsified.

Favorite Features

Off road capability, over all design, Lockers and Dana 44's and of course the great "Jeep" people

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a better breathing air filter box to get better fuel economy and power. Skid plates for steering box and differentials.

2003 rubicon review
By Robert Fillion

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have changed the suspension system by lifting my jeep 2 1/2 inches with a rancho lift system. The stock suspension system was a hard ride and this lift heped soften it upas well as give more clearance for off roading, my intial purpose for this ride. I have not had any major problems with any systems on this vehicle. It has been a great ride both on and off road. I have been able go places that I would not go with anything less than a 4 wheel drive with locks could go.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has got to be the locker system.

Suggested Improvements

A softer stock suspension system, mine has made a world of difference.

lemon
By rodick

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

front end constantly shakes when on highway. every time you hit a bump or pot hole front end shakes viliontly. have had car in the shop twice and know body can find any thing wrong with the vehicle. at 40k shouldn't have any problems with a car that is built right.

Favorite Features

great vehicle in bad weather

FUN TO DRIVE....GET ONE
By BIMMER323

2004 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Jeep ever. It's a black, soft-top Rocky Mountain edition. Sharp looking with big wheels and tires. Great package! It has great winter capabilities and is fun in the sun. This SUV has it all! It's our family toy. My three sons love it. Having an awsome time this summer. I can't wait to use it in the winter. Should have gotten one sooner. I also drive a 2003 745Li BMW; a great car but lacks the fun,free-spirited feeling you get from a Wrangler. You don't buy for it's creature comforts. It's a JEEP.... HAVE SOME FUN!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive rugged open air convertible. Great looks! FUN FUN FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage.