Used 2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Wanted one for a long time
By Bob Nukis

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

For years I've wanted to own a Jeep Wrangler, before it became a Wrangler. When the CJ's were around I thought about purchasing one, but with a wife and growing family it was impossible. Once the kids were out of the house I worked very hard at finding the ideal Wrangler. I like the four wheel drive, the style of the body, the simple things about it. The Wrangler changes on occasion, but you'll alway remember a JEEP before the companies who want to be like them. JEEP Wrangler one of Americans best, and will be around for many years to come. Will the wannabes, probably not. Funny how a WWII JEEP turned into one of America's favorite recreation vehicle. Take that wannabes.

Tight turning ratio, convertible top, hard doors, soft top. 4.0 engine, 5 speed transmission, comfortable seats, overhead speakers, stock radio CD player.

Keep the 4.O engine, 6 speed transmission, kiss, don't make it car-like. Easier top removal. Optional bigger back up lights under the back bumper. By doing this anyone can haul a boat. Build this feature into the fuse box and holes in back bumper, like the front bumper fog lights. "Secure Alarm".

I love my Jeep
By Tyler

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep Wrangler. I love the feel of driving it along with just being in it. It gives you a sense of power because you can sit above the rest of the traffic. I have modified mine to fit 36" tires with 6.5 inches of lift. It works wonders offroad.

I love the offroad capability of my Jeep Wrangler.

I think they should come out with a more offroad capable Wrangler. It should be like the Rubicon, but with more lift, more power, and 33" tires standard on 15x8" wheels. Also stronger axle shafts inside the axles.

Tomb Raider edition
By Frank

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Happy with everything except disappointed with the engine performance. It seems that the engine will backfire on a downshift once and a while. The Jeep dealer told me that someone else was complaining about it and that it was bad gas. So I've tried different gas stations and It's still a problem. I suspect it's a fuel management issue and is normal for very long straight inline six design.The horsepower is lacking for the size of the six and how much gas mileage you get out of it. I bought the Jeep for the power but 4 cylinder cars passed me in the Rockies. Technologically It seems behind the times, related to engine performance. Need some R&D for a factory installed supercharger.

The classic look of the Jeep. It's the most rugged compact SUV available, very confident when headed for the mountains or when in snow/mud. It's great for finding those small parking spots without having to think about cars damaging your bumper. It's easy to work on since it's not too complex.

Add more technology to the engine to improve gas mileage versus performance. Fix engine hesitation during a down shift with a five speed manual. Add a defrost option with a recycle mode as well, so I don't have to breath the smog. On Tomb Raider edition the screws loosen on bushwacker fenders.

Only in a Jeep
By Brian Smith

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Jeep I have ever owned, and I can't believe I have never had one before now. The slogan, "only in a Jeep" is so true. I have been places in my factory Jeep that I would have never dreamed to take a vehicle. I love this thing. No issues with this at all.

Hard top/soft top. 4X4.

Little better gas mileage.

Unbelivable!
By JohnBoy1248

2003 Jeep Wrangler SUV Rubicon 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Although this is my second Jeep
Wrangler I still can not believe how
capable this Jeep is! No matter what
the weather or where you are this
Rubicon has no problem taken you where
you want to go. Classic Jeep interior
and exterior lets you know exactly
what you are getting yourself into.
Interior comfort is not that of a BMW
7 series, but it it a Jeep it is built
for functionality and fun. The most
capable Jeep EVER built!

Go anywhere design, build quality, ability to take abuse and throw it right back at you!

Nothing, keep this exactly how it is!