2013 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Review: Is this thing really a HUNDAI?

2013 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Review

5.0 R-Spec Sedan (5.0L V8 8-speed Automatic)

Is this thing really a HUNDAI?
By sierrapoet on

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Having spent ample time in the seat of Mercedes' SL 55 and an AMG 63, I had low expectations of the 5.0 R-Spec Hundai. Uhhhh...WOW, was I wrong. For about 1/3 the cost, the Genesis Sedan is a fantastic luxury muscle car that hangs with the big dollar Europeans. Oh yeah, and for under $40K total, it came with a bumper to bumper 100K mile warranty. The Genesis has so far averaged roughly twice the gas mileage of my two previous Mercedes. Really? a Korean 429 HP luxury sedan that gets 27 MPG? What's not to like? Great price, fast, comfortable, reliable. The Germans had better up their game really soon, because I just bought two of these things, for less than my last European.

Favorite Features

Tons of power, quiet ride, killer sound system, lots of seating room. The engines loaf along at about 1500 RPM until you goose it, them it downshifts twice and takes off like a rocket ship. Unbelieveable gas mileage. We are getting 27 MPG on the highway. Goodness gracious.

Suggested Improvements

Exotic looks would be nice. Make the entertainment and navigation systems user upgradeable. Add lots more USB slots, including slots for the rear seats and give them enough power to charge cell phones and tablets. Use touch screens instead of the Mercedes-like rotary manual selector. Make the pearl white paint more pearly, and less white.