Used 2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Best Van I have ever owned
By pastorewj

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van new. So all 240,000 are my miles, and I could not ask for more out of a van. I have replaced motor mounts, and power steering pump was replaced under warranty... but that is it.

I can move the world in this van... and have. Amazing space.

First and only Honda ever to purchase
By mechdaug2

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

At 13,771, blue gray smoke coming from the exhaust system and dealer reported caused by condensation, normal operation. My vehicle was serviced at Honda dealerships for 30, 60 and 90 K mile service work as recommended by Honda. Over the years, service records have indicated work to door seals, faulty mechanics of siding doors, faulty Honda batteries( 4<4 years), premature failure of systems, such as air conditioning, power steering, and catalytic converter. Another interesting, but significantly disappointing fact, is that the seals for my doors, the back hatch door that was most recently replaced has leaked water in the back of the minivan and sides even after replacement at Honda service.

Generous seating for 8; the only thing that did not ever need repair and works beautifully is the radio/CD player and speaker system. Storage features allow to pack it, sometimes, better than a truck.

The quality of parts and service appear to be an issue. Initial indicators of system problems should be addressed prior to a full system overhaul. In the multiple contacts with Honda, I have felt like there is a disconnect with customer service and standing behind product. As the daughter of a mechanic, I have had my share of discussions with service personnel and customer service only to be disappointed with the outcome. My dad warned me about being "hoodwinked", and I feel I have been with air conditioning, power steering system, motor mounts, emissions systems with possible 2nd replacement of converters.

Death Trap and Money Pit
By rjs14

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Entertainment, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got a total lemon. 2 gas tank leaks; fire; complete loss of power twice while driving in fast lane; sliding door ripped itself off of body; master cylinder, two transmissions, power steering pump leak, and just about every other part on this van. Paid through the nose for all of these repairs listed as "recalled". Time to get a lemon law attorney. Original owner, all maintenance kept up to date. Now I have spent enough in repairs to buy 3 of these pieces of junk!

My entire vehicle.

Problems and how to deal with them
By harrys1

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

1. A/C compressor. Often is stator that pulls clutch in to engage the compressor, but dealer will replace compressor anyway--more money to dealer and less chance of car return. Stator costs $75 and takes 2-3 hr. to replace=$400 repair, not $1300 for compressor. 2. Power steering noise requires new reservoir NOT pump. There is TSB on this. Total parts and fluid around $45. Takes 20 minutes. 3.Transmission not shifting well. Honda changed fluid spec to DW1 from Z1. Put new fluid in before replacing transmission--requires 3 fill and drain cycles of 3.5 qt 4. Power doors. You need to lubricate channels at least yearly. My doors have no problems after 9 yr. and 130,000 miles and 3 kids.

Very good handling, engine durable, maintenance costs not excessive for a van. Easy to live with. Good acceleration and shifting.

1. Make some repairs easier such as AC compressor accessibility and cat converter replacement. 2. Reduce noise and add ride refinement. Biased a little too much toward handling and not enough toward comfort 3. Train dealers better. No need to replace A/C compressor when only needs stator; or P/S pump when only reservoir needed. 4. Sliding doors need better track system so electric system will last longer.

Get Ready...
By mn_nick

2005 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were the typical young family... will never own a mini-van mindset. Guess what, there is a reason why there are so many out there. They are great vehicles for families with kids. They haul people and stuff, lots of great features for ease of life - remote doors (that can't ding the car next to you) remote rear hatch, etc. We drove lots of vans... the Honda Odyssey was BY FAR the best ride and drive, so we bought one. Learned about PAX tires, de-PAXed it, then was totaled in an accident. Bought another (used) already de-PAXed (BTW, don't have to use Acura wheels to do this). Then the problems. AC - replaced. Torque converter - live with it. Now, front camshaft loose - $2,000+

Convenience, ride, power and comfort. This is a great vehicle for trips - when it's running well.

AC - apparently a common problem. Two new compressors. Did that myself. PAX Tires - Urgh - soon as they're ready to be replaced get rid of them. You will have to buy new wheels as well. Torque converter - about $2k to fix it, but have heard from many it really doesn't fix it - so we live with it. Now the front camshaft is loose causing the VSA to malfunction. $2k to fix. My van has 172k on it, but to need a camshaft replaced? My "junky GM product" has over 220k on it, no engine rebuild, same AC compressor, same wheels. FIX: AC issues, torque converter, you've already done away with PAX. Put some quality back into your product. Poor planning on placement cause many issues.