2008 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Expensive 2008 Civic
By civic08owner on 03/02/14 20:53 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I found my 2008 Honda Civic to be more expensive to maintain than my 2000 Chrysler Sebring. Here are the part replacements that needed to be done on my Civic in between 60-80k miles: 1. Driver's side sun visor 2. Main upper engine mount 3. Ventilation fan motor 4. Middle brake light At 84k miles, there is another rattle/grumble from the engine when idling. I suspect it may be the lower engine mount. Also, I average 25-27 mpg during winter months and 29-30 mpg during summer months, with mixed back road and highway driving. My Sebring only needed wheel bearings and tie rod ends to be replaced. I'm not impressed with Honda quality.

Only minor issues
By donjames150 on 11/21/13 12:57 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car in December of 2008, it now has 75,000 miles 5 years later. The only "repair" has been to add 2 strong clips to fix the broken sun visor hinges that melt in the southern sun here in NC. And the paint job is of poor quality, but still good enough after 5 years. I had to have the AC charged this year. And brakes after 60k miles. Normal maintenance really. The passenger side front electric window motor is wearing out but still working. The factory tires were loud and hard riding. Do yourself a favor (and this goes for any car), buy the best tires you can afford. I like Goodyear ComforTred. They are quiet and give a softer ride, worth the extra money. Drives like new.

Disappointed
By wak52 on 11/10/13 11:36 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

In November 2013 my 2008 Honda Civic experienced a motor mount failure. The vehicle has been well maintained, driven easy and only has 57,000 miles on it. Investigation on the internet shows this to be a very common problem. Honda absolutely refuses to do anything about the problem, other than charging their customers a hefty fee for the repairs. This generation of Civic has also had issues with the windshield visors failing after a few years. Unfortunately the Civic has become an under engineered vehicle that Honda has cut too many corners with.

Problems Since Day 1
By shanetd6 on 08/02/13 15:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new. 1 a half years in the block leaked all the coolant out and my car overheated. Luckily no damage to the engine. They replaced the block under warranty. Shortly after a clicking sound when I turned sharply. Dealership diagnosed it and could not figure out what it was. Finally after a few years they replaced the right front axle. Seemed fine for about six months and has progressively gotten worse. Brake pads replaced after 3 years and 60K miles. Now brakes make a horrible noise. Rotors resurfaced, bearing replaced and no change. The visibility sucks There is a huge blind spot on the edge of the windshield. Can't see people in crosswalk. Scary! Be careful.

Very Please With My Honda Civic
By joyloveshonda on 01/12/13 08:25 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

My car just hit 81,000 miles no problems I drive her daily and my teen drives her also. Only maintenance have needed to do is oil changes and air filters. The gas mileage is excellent. Tires replaced every 2 years. Never have had an issue. She handles great, takes corners tight.Very pleased no complaints I have owned 9 different types of cars before purchasing my Honda I will never buy another brand of car again. For a car in this purchase price area your not going to receive all the bells and whistles. For the money I do believe it is the best car in its class. Yes the a/c tweaks with the speed The inside cabin does have noise You can feel anything you run over The radio is not the best

Most expensive car to maintain, I've ever owned
By bikestwo on 08/09/12 11:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2008 Honda LX-SR in Sept 2008, expected to get many years of troublefree motoring,.... it has 30,100 Kms on it now,... I've replaced 6 shocks, one has been replaced 3 times. had the brakes serviced,, had to have the rotors machined at 30,000 Kms,... couldn't believe it,.. even purchased the extended warranty, nothing was covered.... so much for many years of troublefree motoring,... I've spend more money on service on this vehicle, than on any other car I've owned... Won't be buying another Honda product anytime soon

I will never buy a honda again!
By hatehonda1 on 07/12/12 09:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Like I said I will never buy a honda again... prior to this car I had a Pontiac Sunfire which was way less expensive!! And more reliable. I have gone through 4 sets of tires (97ks)... and ignored by my local Honda. Then contacted Honda Canada who told me that my local Honda said they only did a visual inspection of my tires for my wear!! Honda Canada as been less then helpful that I gave up. I am so mad at Honda I will never buy another Honda car sucks as bad as the service!!!!!!!

I will NEVER buy another Honda
By morganne on 01/04/12 08:35 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Civic brand new off the lot in 2008. It has been a problem since the first year I bought it. Sunvisor broke, air vent adjusters broke, laundry hanger broke, and it vibrates when I put it in reverse. I feel unsafe driving it because it is such a tin can. I will never ever buy a Honda again. I would be more than happy to just give the car back. Not worth the $$

The Little Car that Could
By queensonia2001 on 08/27/11 17:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 08 civic straight off the lot in 08. I love my little car, yes I do. I just have a couple of complaints. 1: slow acceleration. Super slow.2:visors keep breaking. on their own! 3: loud inside the car. When i'm on my cell people complain of the noise, and I can't use my speaker phone in the car while i'm driving. Other than those things, I love the gas mileage, love the way the gauges look, and love the fact that it has a better resell value than many other cars with the same year/specs.

2008 Civic MT problems
By mwitt on 12/29/10 13:49 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2008 Civic 5 speed manual for over 2 years now. I have 47,000 miles on it. I am very disappointed. First minor problem: One of my rear tires cupped and had to be replaced. OK, maybe not Honda's fault. Next, drivers side window has a problem. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it doesn't. Now, a big problem. My clutch is not working. Car jerks and vibrates when shifting into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer said I need a new cluth at cost of $2000. I've had Honda's before and have loved them for their reliability. I don't think I will be buying one again.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.