1996 Honda Accord Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Love Our Honda Wagon!
By Rick H. on 03/05/10 20:53 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

I am the third owner of this very reliable, comfortable, highly functional family car with 265,000 miles on it, which I purchased five years ago for $4,000. I've used it for family vacations (placing a luggage compartment on the roof rack), commuting to work, hauling recycling, and just around town errands with our dog happily in the wagon area. The sunroof is awesome, the A/C great, the handling fine, the V-Tec sporty and the interior, very sexy. The only major repair I had was to replace the transmission two years ago, which cost only $800. (n.b.: purchased from a junk yard wreck). Minor issues are the slow moving front windows, rear fender rust and a broken antenna. We love our Honda!!!

Not Bad!
By Charles on 10/18/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car is FOREVER old and it's been really good. Of course, there are some things that have gone wrong seeing that it's been around since 1996. It needs a new muffler and the front windows are having issues getting up and down. Such are power windows, though, after close to 14 years! Something actually just went wrong the other day and I can't get it to turn over. Not sure what the problem is yet but it's been super STURDY and great up until now. Honda rules. Oh, and it has 180,000 miles. Not bad at all! I'm sure after I get the "starting" issue fixed it'll have much more life in it. She's given me faith!

No Complaints from me.
By Accordion on 03/12/09 14:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Aside from routine maintenance, and an occasional free check up, (complements of the extended emissions warranty) this car has required less than any other car I have ever owned to continue doing its job. I love the ride, and the 5-speed keeps it fun. I hungrily admire many new cars each year, but return to the same reasoning: why spend $15-$50K on a new car when the one you are driving is perfect and virtually free by comparison. It seems almost un-American, but I'll keep my money for now.

My Honda
By sheila on 02/19/09 12:38 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

I have no interest in replacing this car, which has served me well for years. It did require about $3-4000 in replacement parts at around 105,000. It was well worth the investment. I wish they were still on the market! Only disappointment is that it only got 22 mpg in the city, and about 23-25 highway.

Great Car!
By echri01 on 03/18/08 11:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This is an economical car! Very reliable. Costs for repairs is expensive; suspension and steering was damaged prior to purchasing, costing over $2,500 in repairs if not more. Over all a wonderful, money saving car.Will never get rid of it. It's my 3rd Honda!

Accord beats Passat
By Accord Wagoneer on 03/21/07 09:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

When my 2002 VW Passat wagon was diagnosed with over $3000 in repairs for bad components such as starter, wiring to accessories, suspension, etc. I sold it at a huge loss and found a ‘96 Accord Wagon with 79k miles on it. It is such a superior car in reliability and ease to service, there is little to compare. I have two 96 Accords now, they are amazingly reliable, and 11 years on these cars is nothing – they are lively, cheap to own, safe, and fun. I regularly get 25-30 mpg, they start in any weather, owners can service most components, and the web forums are very popular and informative. Pick one of these cars up, they are young at 150k, you can’t go wrong at the prices they go for now.

The "Mayesmobile": A Well-Built Wagon
By Marc Mayes on 01/09/06 20:58 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

A silver 1996 Honda Accord wagon has been in our family for so long, it has earned the loving nickname "The Mayesmobile". It has transported us through blizzards and hurricanes reliably and comfortably. For a decade, it has swallowed our hockey gear, musical instruments, friends and animals with ease. After all these years, it is still a peppy* drive, rattle-free over potholes, nimble in the corners and easy to parallel park. As the car has gotten older, we have had a few issues finding parts (struts at 90,000 miles) when we've needed them, but as of yet, no major repairs have been required outside of routine maintenance. It is easily the best car our family has ever owned.

I would buy another Honda
By cac20 on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new 8 years ago and it has been virtually maintenence free until about 102,000 miles when it developed a major oil leak ( broken seal) but besides that it has only been routine maintenance and it now has 106k miles. It has served our family well!

Worth a test drive
By shurt on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Being in sales, I'm very tough on autos and this one has lived up to the tests. Very reliable, comfortable and fun to drive, handles like a dream. I had the 5 speed manual transmission which is nice on back roads, and for immediate extra power, but annoying in the city. If you need something affordable, dependable, and extremely economical this is a great choice.

Nearly perfect vehicle
By KC Doug on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon with 93,000 miles on it and have since put on another 35,000. Have had no problems, and it continues to be a dependable, versital, fun to drive vehicle. I have used it as a truck, kid bus, business car, and errand car, and it has taken everything I have thrown at it. Good mileage, good performance, solid structure (still no rattles!) and fun to drive. Hard to beat!