Used 2010 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

My 2010 Explorer
By bobbyabby

2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 2010 Explorer XLT has been awesome! I do not put a lot of miles on a vehicle (have 36,000 after 3 years) but I have only had to replace the battery & tires. I will say the Goodyear tires that came on the Explorer was almost bald after 35,000 miles- I was disappointed in the tires but replaced them with Michelin Tour brand and it rides even better, smooth as silk now. Leather seats & great lumbar support-excellent! Other than these issues the vehicle has no rattles and looks like new. The paint, body quality, interior, brakes etc. are excellent quality and I am more than happy. I plan to keep this one for 10 to 12 years total and have no doubt it will make it.

Favorite Features

Interior, smooth ride, great quality, great lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

Tires- wish they had been better quality than the Goodyear radials that were gone at 35,000 miles.

The last and best Explorer 4X4
By jblakus

2010 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My Explorer has been on the road since 2/2011 with 16,200 miles. I got this model over the new 2011, because I want a true 4x4 Explorer. It drives smoothly and is very comfortable. The transmission is smooth in AWD and typical in high and low 4X4. The 3rd row sitting is nice to have, but I have never needed it yet .This is my second EB model and the features are better than ever. The only con is the gas mileage, but I knew about the lower mileage performance before buying it. If you want a true 4x4 Explorer, this is the model to get.

Favorite Features

The electric adjustable and heated seats are great. The sound system is very good. The interior style and finish is very well done. Many electric connections including: 3 - 12V plug-ins, 120V plug-in, powered USB, and AUX connection

Suggested Improvements

SYNC needs a major software upgrade to be truly useful. Using K&N air filter and synthetic oil seems to have given an extra 2 MPG. Info display could have been larger.

LIFE NOT MORE THAN 100,000 KMS
By shajan

2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i was driving Japanese Four wheel drives. when i decided to buy an american car, i bought FORD EXPLORER 2007. immediately after 100,000 kms it started giving problems. first with the air conditioning system and had to replace the evaporator. at 115,000kms some cable system had to be replaced. then started the gear to slip and had to get it repaired. now again the air condition system started giving problems. the repairs are so expensive that i had already spent Dhs. 25,000/= on these repairs. am not at all happy with the vehicle. and shall never purchase any american vehicles.

The best Explorer to date
By Explorer

2010 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV AWD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Comfortable, goes anywhere, tows great, good steering, nicely equipped, good price. Much better vehicle than my brothers Rav4. His Rav4 is only averaging 18.8 mpg (ads say 24 mpg they are full of it) I am averaging 17.3 mpg and I am in a larger more comfortable vehicle, My Explorer is more comfortable under all conditions. There is no situation where I would take his Rav over my Explorer. They are both 2010 vehicles and Exp ~ $27000 Rav4 ~ $24000. I know people will say compare it to a Highlander but why the Explorer is the same size for less money so why spend 30000 plus and get exactly the same size vehicle. At least for my 3000 over the Rav I got a larger vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Put the 3.5L V6 from the Flex in the Explorer.

Cheap transmission
By Fred

2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2010 explorer 14,000 miles transmission seems to slip, i should have done more research before buying this car. I wanted to buy American but i should have bought foreign unfortunately.

Favorite Features

interior look

Suggested Improvements

a real transmission. come on! i paid over 30k for what? where is the quality?