Used 2009 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Love it but...
By Scott in Austin

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

While my 2009 X5 4.8i only has about 300 miles on it total I've got to say I wake up in the morning looking for places to go just so I can drive this awesome piece of machinery, and I work out of my house. The Pros: Awesome Handling, macho-good looks (especially with my 20" y-spoke sport wheels), solid German engineering, thicker than average sporty steering wheel and powerful. The Cons: Beside the fact I have already had it in the shop for two full days due to two (conicidence? I think maybe not) bad front tires that was causing my car's steering to pull there aren't a whole lot of cons. The i-Drive interface is a joke! BMW has some work to do and could take some pointers from Lexus.

Those fantastic looking 35R20' wheels in the back!.

The i-Drive interface needs to be improved. I'm surprised someone hasn't been in an accident yet trying to figure that out while driving. It needs to be touch screen like Lexus. Also the bluetooth phone ringer needs to ring louder when making a call.

Vermillion Red-Liner
By AIA

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 09 Vermillion Red X5. These are rare and had to be custom ordered. I have owned X5's in the past and this is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive and handles great like a true BMW even though it's a heavy vehicle. It has all the options imaginable. Gas mileage is great for such a beast.

Voice activation, keyless entry and the fun to drive factor.

Faster processor for the iDrive, rear camera to engage quicker, Park Distance to be 24/7. These are things that I am picky about.

2009 BMW X5 4.8i
By Michael Biggs

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

The x5 is a great car, it has not broken down once. I am amazed it can do over 161 mph. It also has an amazing crash test rating.

The i-drive system is great, it could not be better. I own a 2006 Audi A6 and its computer is easier to use than my 2007 BMW 5-series' computer but my 2009 X5's computer is easier to use than both of them.

The fuel economy needs a bit of work because it gets only 12-16 mpg which is not the best.

Very fun to drive, sucks gas
By Brett 4.8i

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I got my X5 less than a week ago and I love it. I saw the 2010 iDrive on a couple of other BMW models. I became afraid that I bought too soon before the 2010's came out. Hey this car handles awesome and is super comfortable. The fat wheel looks burly. I like the electronics and computer stuff. Sound system is way better than I expected, and I am a picky guy. I'm tired of Mercedes Benz and the way they treated me. When I got the X5 my blackberry connected easily with the bluetooth. With Mercedes, blue tooth only worked with Motorola and Verizon. That stinks, they went out of their way to make things more expensive and harder. BMW beats Mercedes in handling and steering in my book. Bye bye BENZ.

iDrive, Comfort seats, interior is awesome, panorama moonroof, light leather and black headliner and Bamboo wood, Junk compartment under floor in cargo area and this thing handles amazing and is smooth. Night and day from Mom's 2002 X5 (without sport package), better.

Better gas mileage. How do I turn off NAV guidance!!!! AAAHHHH shut up!!

Is this a SUV?
By Spirited SUV

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my Mercedes GL450 because we wanted something slightly smaller, but not give up the utility, and luxury-comfort. The X5 hits that mark perfectly. It has sporty handling but is still luxurious and quiet. Gets 20 MPG which is great in my book. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs and am super comfortable in it, and... my kids have room in the second seats!

Nav, and sporty handling. Overall Luxo- feel to the interior.

Interior design. Move door unlock button from the center dash to the door. Tailgate lift can be hit accidentally, (Bad if you are in your garage). Put paddle shifters on a sporty vehicle!

• SUV