Used 2003 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

Used XC90 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...32

Pros
Cons
3.5 out of 5 stars

Frequent Service

Sad volvo owner, 11/22/2006
T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Second volvo to own. Other was turbo S80. Both required frequent servicing. The S80 become costly after the warranty period. I was happy that I did not purchase the extended warranty because most of the problems were not covered or I used up the time before reaching the mileage. We are now located in Houston and recently their service is not user friendly. At least in St. Louis, the service was user friendly. Frequent service but user friendly. Service problems in this XC90 included the transmission needing replacement, the Turbo needing service and then multiple small electronic issues. I guess the Swedes haven't mastered computers yet. With only 28K, looking for a new vehicle!

4 out of 5 stars

Not overly impressed

Wedge, 11/04/2003
2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought my first Volvo instead of Lexus. Not overly impressed. I have had it in shop 5 times: Loud knocking from front wheel hubs. Foudn out after second complaint that hubs were not knocking when torque added or removed via gas pedal. Front windows a nightmare. Creaking and noisy over bumps. Customer service at dealer not good. They will call you incessantly for feedback then do NOTHING with it! Anyone else find the driver's seat not very comfortable?

4.88 out of 5 stars

SLPAKP's Review

slpakp, 11/04/2003
2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I really love my new XC90...it is great fun to drive after moving from a Chrylser Town and County. Less room, but great handling. One complaint is the way the key/remote control lock is designed. The key attaches to one's keyring via a small metal connector that is not permanently attached to the remote control device. Twice, I have almost lost my key when my key ring and the metal connector have separated. Volvo should design a higher quality connector, one that is integral to the remote control device itself, not something that connects to it and then to your key ring.

1.63 out of 5 stars

Never Again

phred3717, 07/15/2011
T6 AWD 4dr SUV (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I will never buy another Volvo. This car cost me countless hours and huge sums of money to keep running. I had an extended waranty to begin with but then the real problems began. Brake pads annually, main engine seals, tierod ends, transmission. Broke down on family trips even after being serviced faithfully by dealer! Last straw - the turbos blew on a road trip 1,000 Km from home with family and friends onboard. Got $100 for it and was happy to see the end of it. Fool me once shame on you Volvo - wont happen again.

2.88 out of 5 stars

Worst Car I Ever Owned

Tom, 07/08/2010
2.5T AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my first and will be my last Volvo. This thing needs new tires every 20,000 miles, grinds through brake pads, needed a new transmission at 80,000 miles and now at 100,000 miles the turbo is blown. Probably had this car in the shop 2 to 3x per year for various electrical and mechanical problems. Volvo was gracious enough to replace the transmission for only the cost of labor (I am convinced they have a silent recall going on) but it still cost me $1,600. Now to fix the turbo will cost another $5,000. It is time to trade in this albatross....I should have done it 30,000 miles ago. Volvo should just recall this vehicle and give everybody their money back.

12345...32