Used 2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

8 Month Update
By MrRizzo

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 8 months I am still enjoying this car. It responds to all my driving moods. Whether I want to poke along and enjoy the scenery or zip down a winding road, the GTI is a ready companion. Gas mileage has improved to 27 mpg (per the computer display). I alternate between regular and premium gas and have not noticed a reduction in performance. I have had no mechanical issues and the car runs great.

heated seats, great looks, performance/practicality balance.

less road noise.

Awesome Car
By Kane

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Bought this car used (1 year old) with 11000 miles on it. I love it. The 6sp TWIN CLUTCH auto is superb. That was the deciding factor between this and the Mazdaspeed3. 90% of my driving is in rush hour so I didn't want a manual again. Lightening fast shifts. Manual mode makes it very fun to drive. Getting pretty good mileage ~26/27 mostly city. The instrument cluster lighting(blue & red) is fantastic. The heated seats are very supportive, gobs of torque on que, xenon headlights are very bright - even when the car is filthy. This car wants to be driven fast - so fun to drive. I like having to do errands b/c I get to drive the GTI.

Twin clutch AUTO. Torque curve peaks and is flat from 1800-5000 RPM. Sliding centre armrest. Factoy stereo, blue cluster lights, 10 airbags, dual climate control, 6 disc in dash CD, ALL FOUR windows are auto up AND down.That little convex mirror on the driver side mirror-eliminates shoulder checks

Could use a touch more HP from factory - like 20-30 to stay competitive with other turbo 4's. You can chip it but that will most likely void your powertrain warranty. But, will be more than enough for most people. The lumbar support is in a weird spot for me

fun to drive
By Reggie

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my first VW I have ever owned and I couldn't be more happy with it. The plaid seats look very cool in person but in picture I thought they looked pretty ugly. Horrible gas mileage when using the paddle shifters as all you want to do is drive like a maniac :). I average 24 mpg when I keep it in drive. The sunglasses holder up near the sunroof controls kept popping open during the summer if I had glasses in it. After a while I couldn't keep it closed even if I took the glasses out. Finally after weeks of twisting things in different directions it stays up. Back seats are roomy according to my coworkers but you have to pull up the front seats for there legs.

Sound of engine when I accelerate. Engine is very responsive. Instant acceleration when wanting to pass someone on the highway. Love having the sunroof open as it makes driving around at night that much more fun. Interior is very Nice compared to the 06 civic I use to have.

Ipod adapter in center console armrest leaves little room for anything else. I do like the convenience of it being there instead of the glove box though. Gas mileage - I have never gotten above 24 mph even when it has mostly been highway miles. Fix sunglasses holder.

I've Had Mine a Year, Time To Review...
By Eric

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car even though I knew all about VW's terrible reputation for unreliable build quality, overpriced dealer service, and poor customer relations due to the 1.8T and its sludge issue. Why would anyone do that? I blame BBC America! Top Gear's rave review and Jeremy Clarkson's wistful reminiscences of his MKI Scirocco lured me into the dealership for a very fateful test drive. The GTI made my Scion TC feel like a Yugo; it was so much more responsive, faster, better brakes, agile, and afterward getting back into my faithful and dependable Toyota product was just depressing. The dealership screwed me on price and interest rate because I had to have the car right now and was a moron.

I never use the crappy radio because the exhaust sounds so awesome.

Speakers are abysmal and are non-standard dimensions so they are difficult to replace.

Maybe the greatest car for your money...
By Chris Moore

2008 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is a car that can truly do it all. I was looking for a car that could fulfill my demands for having a fun, performance oriented vehicle that could simultaneously deliver respectable gas mileage, have four doors, a great warranty and not break the bank, including full coverage insurance. Oh, did I mention my non-manual transmission driving wife had to be able to drive it too? Under these strict stipulations, the GTI is absolutely sublime. I bought mine for $20.5K and spend $100 a month on full coverage insurance. I regularly get over 30 mpg on the highway and 23 mpg in town. Because of its sleeper status, I can drive it like I sat on a wasp, and a cop would be none the wiser.

Usable and broad torque band, eager and frisky chassis, a platform that is as rigid as a safe, interior fit and finish that are consistent with its German heritage, interior materials that have no business being in a sub $30k vehicle, steering wheel and dead pedal ergonomics are divine, balance.

The car is so great at everything it does, it makes you smile like a goon every time you get in it. May require a plastic surgeon to remove said perma-smile from face. Also, since this car is so over-achieving for its price, I doubt I'll be able to buy a better car until I can spend $40k on one.