Used 2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Tempted To Buy Another
By Binky

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Such a fun car to drive and a real value. Sport mode , tiptronics are a couple of my favorite features. I have driven through intense rainy weather and serious flooding and the Golf is sure footed and relatively comfortable. Cargo is reasonable, I can fit my bicycle back after taking off the front tires, works fine for regular supermarket runs. No mechanical issues after 4 years and 60k. The only thing I would improve is the seat height for tall drivers- I have to lean to the side to see some headlights. Not great visibility on a road trip , can't see much over all the trucks and SUV's.

A Better Car Than Most Think!
By Bo Thompson

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Awesome car! I love this car so much that I am thinking about keeping it when VW comes out with the "Re-Buy Program" for scamming its diesel customers. What idiots! But what a car they made. Perfect for commuting in the SF Bay Area.

Everything was going OK until.....
By jemartin928@gmail.com

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I really liked this car, aside from some minor annoyances - silver tab on vent falling off and disappearing, knob to adjust mirror breaking off. Until I had a big issue that pretty much led to me having to get rid of it. I noticed in February of this year that my car had condensation on the insides of the windows... I was perplexed how there was moisture inside my car, but we had some rainy days so I attributed it to that. Fast forward to a weekend when my boyfriend tells me my car smells funny. I agreed it did smell a little, but blamed it on my pugs etc. Arriving at our destination he starts trying to find the source, upon lifting up my floor mats he finds that the right side floor boards are SOAKED. I'm in shock, thinking it was from recently getting my car detailed etc. Come to find out over the next two weeks and two trips to VW my sunroof drains are directing water - not outside my car - but directly into my car. My car started smelling like a disgusting swamp. The first trip they say they cleared them should be good - but they can't help me get the water out that is now pooling in half my car. "they don't do that". I take it to a detailer who tells me the whole carpet needs to be pulled out and replaced. I'll spare you the rest of this story but it's a smelly nightmare. Ultimately I get a new carpet and it still has a smell - I realize - now there is some water showing up under my spare tire, under the trunk. No clue where this is coming from. VW says the drains are clear.

Needless to say I had this car for 3 years and just traded it in this weekend, it's given me so much anxiety in the last few months. VW states they cleared the drains on my 40K mileage per the handbook - but it wasn't on my print out... GET YOUR SUNROOF DRAINS CHECKED. This could happen to you!

Groovy Golf
By Clair Langmaid

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned this Golf for 3 1/2 years and the only problem, which is a big one, is the well-publicized diesel emission control scandal. I get low 30s gas mileage in town and nearly 50 MPG on the road, which is great. I'm probably going to trade it for a gas powered VW since I've had great luck with the VWs and Audis over the years. I still don't know for sure what VW is going to do about the emission problem. If an inexpensive fix would be available, I'd probably keep it. It's a blast to drive.
Update: In April, I traded my Golf in for a Passat SE. The dealer gave me a great deal in light of the emissions litigation. The Passat is more comfortable, but not nearly a fun to drive. Gas mileage is so-so. I miss the torque of the Golf, especially, even though the Passat is turbo charged. I'm reasonably satisfied under the circumstances.

one of the best cars on the road everyone loves it
By steven mckay

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

love this car, and my son does too. i am almost 300 pounds and stand 6 foot 4. i fit in it just fine and so can three other men my size plus my son loves it. the mpg is amazing. get the tune intake and exhaust done and you'll get over 50mpg.

pros: everything from mpg to comfort handling and over all quality.

cons: the transmission needs to be serviced every 40000 and its expensive. if you don't get the transmission tuned with an aftermarket tune you'll notice a hesitation for half a second when going from a stop to pulling out in traffic. depending on your driving style could be dangerous. the aftermarket tune corrects this issue or if you like to leave your car stalk just drive safer.