Used 2005 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$1,900

Used Golf for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Too many problems

Karen Marie, 02/26/2015
GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Golf GLS M/T new Jan/2006. Had a great run for the first few years. It handles great, is a lot of fun to drive and looks good. But, once it was out of warranty, the problems started. At about 44,000 miles/7 yrs., the master cylinder (brakes) needed to be replaced, and rotors. Internal engine oil leak - new transmission needed before 50,000 miles. Hood latch broke 2x. Strange front thumping noise that cannot be diagnosed began in 9th year. Around year 6 the armrest latch broke. Around year 8 the glove compartment latch broke. And this is from a single driver - hardly ever passengers, no kids - so these things were hardly ever opened. Loved the car but would not buy again. I traded it in after 9 years and would not buy VW again, as much as I loved the car in the beginning.

golf 2005

tony, 12/04/2004

This car is an awesome car. it is very good to drive around. I would recommend it for college students who do not have a lot of gas money. It is also very easy to find a parking space for this car due to its size.

A car to park outside...

David Burrus, 04/19/2006

I have had my Golf for over a month now and am impressed. It is a very fun to drive, it handles extremely well, especially on curves. Its interior build quality is impressive. It has excellent paint and exterior finish. The car feels very solid, and tight at all speeds. The manual transmission takes time to get used to. It is very effortless, but very slick. My second choice was a Honda Civic. How did I decide? A naive young boy once asked, "Should I buy a Civic or a Golf?" And the response was simple...buy the Golf if you want to park it outside, buy the Civic if you're going to garage it. This is a unique car.

Golf 2004

le roi, 05/24/2005

This is one of the most solid autos I've had in a long time. It is much more solid and quiet than my old Honda Civic, although the Honda was a very good car. The VW seems better. I also tried out a Toyota. It was very noisy and tinny sounding inside.

A Strange Love Affair

Ron Campbell, 07/09/2005

While this is perhaps the smallest and least powerful car I have owned since my days as a Triumph driving bachelor in the very early sixties, it is without a doubt the one car I have truly loved. It's stupid to love a car, but there it is. Of course this love does not detract from the love of family or country or home town, but don't anybody ask for my keys. This is MY agile little baby and like Silver and the Lone Ranger nobody drives it but me; my black beauty is a one-rider horse. So this is a fine man/machine love affair, a strange love affair more intense than all the affairs I've had with high-cost high-powered babes...cheap, too, like a good tart.